+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: XLR Cable shoot out - including the Spotfire IC

I'm Ken.

I'd almost given up trying to find a UK supplier of Mogami cut bulk cable and came across this company by accident.
    Glad I could share.

I'm Ken.

Just a note on Sommer cables.

Carbokab is not top of the range.
    A 1m ready made XLR pair of Carbokab 225 costs around 85 Euro from Sommer.

Their hi end cable is Epilogue and a 1m ready made XLR pair costs 166 Euro.

These are the prices that are comparable with Oli's ready made cable, and make his look more of a reasonable price.
    It is, of course, much cheaper making your own cables.
    Last edited by Qwin; 30-09-2018 at 07:24.

I'm Simon.

Cheers Ken, that's the detail I was looking for, just to make sure any difference wasn't due to a peculiarity of your chassis. I do exactly the same. Putzeys has a good paper on it called ' the pin 1 problem' for anyine whos interested in a discussiin on it.

Oli, stick me down for a demo if there's a list.
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by sq225917 View Post
    Cheers Ken, that's the detail I was looking for, just to make sure any difference wasn't due to a peculiarity of your chassis. I do exactly the same. Putzeys has a good paper on it called ' the pin 1 problem' for anyine whos interested in a discussiin on it.

Oli, stick me down for a demo if there's a list.
    I'll drop you a PM mate.

Sent from my VKY-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Ken.

Quote Originally Posted by jamie123 View Post
    yep cheers for the link,i might have to try it,rumour is the grossly expensive linn t-cable is this stuff
    Yeh, I'd heard it might be Mogami, I don't know which one though, they make loads of different cables.

I'm Ken.

Well.

I think you need to re think the Spotfire burn in estimation Oli.

In my balanced implementation with the Neutrick connectors the sound got very edgy and distorted at about 60 hours it was sounding poor on female vocals in particular, Sade, Stacey Kent plus harmonica etc had a real resonant sound I would say centered around 6/7kHz and was still that way at 80 ish hours when I went to bed last night. It wasn't sibilant with "S" or "Z" sounds, it was more general. I left it playing over night and it has smoothed out when listening to the same tracks this morning and no it is not a Phsycho effect, very noticeably poor last night. It spoilt what was otherwise a very good presentation. The cable has had continuous play since Saturday and has gone through many subtle changes during that period. I don't know how to account for it, I can't see the mains supply causing it and I didn't adjusted anything, so put it down to the cable/s.

Anyway, what ever caused it, it's a lot smoother at the top now, phew!

I think 100hrs use is a better figure before critical listening , I would have thrown it in the bin, based on last nights performance. It completely spoilt my enjoyment of the vocals.

So were getting close to doing a better comparison now but wont do it till I am getting consistent results
    Last edited by Qwin; 02-10-2018 at 11:19.

Bigman80 Guest

Hi Ken,

Wow, that's very surprising!

At present there are multiple pairs of these cables in use and not one owner has reported anything like this so something is different.

The difference being the cables have RCA plugs usually.

I can't say why or what you're experiencing because I've never heard the SPOTFIRE used in a balanced cable. Burn in time was suggested due to the standard configuration with RCA so it's possible that it will be different with the XLR plugs but I couldn't say for sure. At least now we have some insight with the cable in balanced construction so thanks for the feedback!!

I'm Martin.

We could consider the possibility that this was another issue entirely unrelated to the cable?

I've only got 3 hours on mine, so that means another 57 before it goes all weird and then another 40 before it's burnt in and working as it should? It all seems highly unlikely I have to say.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    We could consider the possibility that this was another issue entirely unrelated to the cable?

I've only got 3 hours on mine, so that means another 57 before it goes all weird and then another 40 before it's burnt in and working as it should? It all seems highly unlikely I have to say.
    Macca, I have never experienced anything like what's been fed back in this thread. I've just had a quick look and there's at least 10 pairs of these in use with people i know outside of the forum as well as on, and had they had this experience or similar, I'd have been told. Similarly, I haven't ever tried a balanced pair and due to that.

They do take a bit of time to settle down but everyone reported around 30-50hrs was sufficient so whether the XLR plugs or something else is in play, I couldn't say.

Whatever is going on, I'm just happy that Ken is back to enjoying the music.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Macca, I have never experienced anything like what's been fed back in this thread. I've just had a quick look and there's at least 10 pairs of these in use with people i know outside of the forum as well as on, and had they had this experience or similar, I'd have been told. Similarly, I haven't ever tried a balanced pair and due to that.

They do take a bit of time to settle down but everyone reported around 30-50hrs was sufficient so whether the XLR plugs or something else is in play, I couldn't say.
    Well never having ever experienced 'burn in ' effect the sound of anything it doesn't really matter to me. We can all happily tell a good sound from a bad one so if it sounds bad all of a sudden I've no doubt that something is going on but some sort of burn in effect would be way down on my list of probable causes. in fact it wouldn't be on my list at all.

And I can't believe anyone can judge that the burn in ended at around 50 hours. I mean really, what are we basing this on? Do people really think that their perception is that keen? The biggest floating variable in the equation is us.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast