+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Cleaning CDs, to do or foo?

I'm Grant.

a bit of spit will work better
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

That's stage 2 if wipe on the t shirt fails.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    That's stage 2 if wipe on the t shirt fails.
    but not if you have a chest infection or you'll give the player a virus
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    a bit of spit will work better
    I heard somebody tried semen. He said it wasn't worth a wank!

I'm Bob.

Funny
    System a mixture of old and new.

Speakers Tannoy Cheviot, Amp Pioneer receiver but looking for something new, Source Xbox One X (For everything) via a Panasonic 65inch 4k HDR TV.

I'm Drew.

Exactly my point, thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    The op was asking if there could be any benefit beyond removing any soiling that was affecting the players ability to read the disc, i.e improved sound quality. A lot of people do seem to think that there is (see the buyer feedback I copied from the RA site above) so not an unreasonable question. But there isn't. A CD is not an LP and there are no similarities in the way that they work.

I'm Adam.

You have to be careful with some of the old Nimbus pressed discs from the 80s.

Factory Records used Nimbus for a lot of their CD releases. The discs have a sticky feel on the the label side (from new).

Try washing them and it will often end in tears !
    Adam.

I'm John.

Being a returned to HiFi, and no time for my photography type of person.
    I know of DSLR Sensor cleaning fluids and swabs, that should be very safe to use on a CD.
    If a individual is intending on buying a Branded Cleaner, these kits are cost effective and will lift Oil and other crud of a very delicate sensor, so will easily remove a light contamination of a CD.

I'm Shaun.

Well, I've said it before and I'll say it again; take a brand new uncleaned CD and breathe heavily on it. In the mist you'll see a swirly pattern made by something that is coating the disc. Wash the disc in very hot soapy water and dry using kitchen roll. Breathe on it again. No swirly pattern anymore. What does it prove..? Sod all other than there is something on the surface of brand new CD's that may or may not affect the sound. The outcome of this is entirely with your ears and your system. I no longer do this as I just can't be arsed.

I'm Lawrence.

I'm no expert in digital reproduction especially the way CD works, but putting a few things I've read together I think a good clean might help...

So apparently a CD player will never pick up every single bit on a CD but it will pick up enough to play. Some people say that players with computer readers and buffers are able to spin faster and read ahead and buffer the information, re reading it to fill in the missing bits, which is why they can make good players. And if a CD skips it is usually when a scratch causes it to lose track in the CD and it can't find it's way, not just losing too many bits to make a good stab at the analogue signal. Therefore anything that might help the laser pick up more bits in real time (or increase the probability of it doing so) must be good. This was also one of the reasons I think people went mad on those green pens all those years ago (possibly relating to stray laser light). So surely a nice clean disc can only help pick up a few more of those missing bits?

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast