+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cleaning CDs, to do or foo?

I'm Drew.

Default Cleaning CDs, to do or foo?

Hi

While looking at Art du Son cleaning fluid for vinyl I noticed they also make a cleaning fluid for CDs. Now, while cleaning vinyl is clearly a must, I realised that I have never cleaned any of my CD collection- some of which are at least 25 years old- unless a blotchy print led to skipping etc. I suppose I've always thought if the laser is able to read a CD the sound will remain consistent unless the disk is subject to serious manhandling, deep scratching etc whereby it becomes unreadable i.e all or nothing. So...are there any possible sonic benefits to be gained by a good clean with an appropriate product or is it just unnecessary (and expensive) foo as I imagined?

I'm Mike.

Picked up some Russ Andrews Relees on Ebay for not a lot

Seems to work, but I'm too lazy to use it
    TAD CD / DAC / Pre, Technics 1210, MCRU PSU, Mike New Bearing & Platter, Stillpoints LP1 weight, Speedy Steve Ebony armboard, Fidelity Research FR64FX arm, Ortofon SPU. Aurorasound VIDA Phono Pre Amp, TAD Power Amp, TAD E1 speakers. Coherent RTZ 3 Grounding box, Coherent grounding cables, Creaktiv racks. Coherent Mains Cables. SR Blue Fuse. Interconnects : Coherent and Yannis 223.5 Connect Litz. Coherent speaker cable. Audio Magic Transcendence Conditioner. Coherent mains socket. Mains Filters : , PS Audio Harvesters, Russ Andrews Purifiers, Tacima, Vertex. Black Ravioli and RDC supports. Electric Beach S1NX platforms for TAD CD and Technics. Ferrite chokes everywhere except the above. Ears, brain

Mike

I'm Drew.

Work in what way ?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeMusic View Post
    Picked up some Russ Andrews Relees on Ebay for not a lot

Seems to work, but I'm too lazy to use it

I'm Grant.

I usually use a dry soft lens wipe cloth
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

You only need to worry about cleaning things like finger print marks.

I'm Drew.

Quote Originally Posted by StanleyB View Post
    You only need to worry about cleaning things like finger print marks.
    Ok... but why? Assuming the cd continues playing, do fngerprints really affect sound quality/ reproduction??!
    Last edited by da2222; 28-09-2018 at 05:17.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by da2222 View Post
    Ok... but why? Assuming the cd continues playing, do fngerprints really affect sound quality/ reproduction??!
    No. It will either play perfectly or it will skip or audibly glitch.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Drew.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    No. It will either play perfectly or it will skip or audibly glitch.
    What I thought... So foo it is?

I'm Simon.

Yup, if it's not audibly skipping then the error correction is working and the error recovery mechanism in cd is mathematically perfect, it simulates the exact data that was missing. If it skips or glitches then you have unrecoverable errors and a wipe might help.
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

I'm malcolm.

Small marks and dust should have no audible effect but larger ones and crud on the disk can lead to the error correction programs kicking in. One effect of this is to cause difficulties in frequencies above 22k which may be aliased down to audible levels thus causing 'noise', oversampling is used to reduce this.

I've always been of the opinion that anything done to reduce errors 'seen' by the player is a good thing.

I'm a fan of washing CDs with good old soap and water...I use a drop of washing up liquid.
    Audiophile Tosher

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast