+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Noisy Electricity

I'm stuart.

Default Noisy Electricity

Interesting article on the BBC today about noisy electricity and the reasons for it. I've noticed in the past couple of years I have came across far more buzzing transformers than I've ever heard before (on old and new equipment). I wonder if all those solar panels on peoples roofs are part of the problem as they feed crap back in to the mains?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-45645587

RothwellAudio Guest

Quote Originally Posted by killie99 View Post
    I wonder if all those solar panels on peoples roofs are part of the problem as they feed crap back in to the mains?
    They're not really feeding "crap" into the mains - the power they feed back just needs to be integrated properly into the grid. That's what the new invention, the Faraday Exchanger, is designed to do.
    Even if the mains is a bit noisy I think it's preferable to polluting the planet by burning fossil fuel until there's none left.

I'm Paul.

It also means that manufacturers can give even more reasons why you need that expensive mains filter for your hifi. With the “new” issue with our electricity supply their old expensive units just wont cut it and now all that will work is their new mega expensive unit.
    ~Paul~

I'm James.

"Solar panels on our roofs and wind turbines... can feed the surplus back into the grid, sending electrons in the opposite direction to the one for which it was designed."

You've got to love BBC science, it's better than the Daily Mash.

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazid View Post
    "Solar panels on our roofs and wind turbines... can feed the surplus back into the grid, sending electrons in the opposite direction to the one for which it was designed."

You've got to love BBC science, it's better than the Daily Mash.

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk
    Haha - didn't you know the cables of the National Grid are directional. I'm thinking of having those that feed the local substation re-wired with Cardas five nines UPOCC copper.
    Barry

I'm Martin.

National Grid are going to replace all those nasty metal pylons with Mpingo wood cable lifters, should prove to be a massive upgrade.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Paul.

They will soon begin using grounding boxes too for their “powerful ground potential”. Much better than the old way of using the Earth. Much safer too I bet.
    ~Paul~

+ Reply to Thread