+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Replacement of tweeter on REGA EL8

I'm Raymond.

Default Replacement of tweeter on REGA EL8

I’ve been recommended to visit the Blank Canvas forum.
    I have a REGA EL8 which needs a new tweeter , and I’m uncertain how to proceed with replacing the tweeter (replacement is on its way to me).I have removed the 2part tweeter and something “fell “ inside when I removed the larger “ring” section. I can hear it moving when I move the speaker.

How to access the inside I don’t know? I could remove the rear connection (back of the box) where cable connection to the amp are.
    Has any one done this “operation” - I’d love to see any pics of the inside?
    (I have been told by the supplier that if one tweeter is changed the other should be.)

Any advice please?

Raymondo104

I'm Russell.

You may need to remove the woofer to access the inside of the cabinet. Any little part like that will rattle like wild if left in the bottom. I remember many years ago I had some inexpensive speakers and one suddenly started raising all kinds of fuss, rattling like crazy! I removed the woofer to find a 2” scrap of cardboard in the bottom? I’m not sure where it came from, but I was shocked it could cause so much noise.

If you can reach through the rear where the connection plate is, you may be good, but it may be hard to get your hand through that hole. It’s a good idea to lay the cabinet on its back when removing the woofer. So you won’t drop it, and you can center it up easily when you put it back. Be careful to not let your screwdriver slip and poke a hole in the speaker! I’ve done that too.

You’ll have to see how the wires are connected to the tweeter, be sure to observe polarity before taking them off. Some are soldered, that can be tricky to solder to the tabs and not overheat the part inside the tweeter, if you are good at soldering you’ll know, but if not, you may want to practice on scraps before attempting. There is a ton of good soldering information online, there’s a lot to it really.

But it may have slip on connectors, that would be great! And on a pair I had, the wires were wrapped around a square terminal, I just hand wrapped it onto the new speaker terminal. If you have any real trouble with it, post some pictures of what’s going on and the brain trust of this group will get you sorted.

Russell

I'm Edward.

Given that you will be replacing the tweeter I suggest you turn the speaker upside down, let the loose item fall down and retrieve it via the tweeter cutout. You may have to use a flashlight to see the item's location.

Hopefully the replacement tweeter will match the tone etc of the other tweeter but it may be that you end up having to replace the working tweeter as well to balance things out.

Good luck.

[added]. Are you sure the tweeter needs replacing? Maybe a cap on the crossover has drifted?
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Geoff.

Moved to Blank Canvas. Was in Critics Corner (non Hi-Fi area) for some reason.

+ Reply to Thread