+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Any NAD PP2i phono stage users ?

I'm steve.

Default Any NAD PP2i phono stage users ?

Wonder if there are any users of this NAD phono stage or the later PP2e version who can comment on how good it is. There aren't many reviews online but the ones I could find are pretty positive. Latest version seems pretty good value at £99 for a MM/MC stage. Any user comments appreciated.
    Steve

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Matt.

I don’t use one myself, but have heard the PP2 a few times..............
    At the price, it does a very decent job. I guess someone will come along & say by a 2nd hand *** for the same money, but if you want to buy new,it’s either the NAD or something from Pro-Ject.
    A MC cart is arguably deserving of something better, but within the context of a balanced, budget system with a MM cart, the PP2 is a very safe bet.

I'm Gary.

I have a Project Tube Box II with some decent valves. PM me if of interest.

Gary
    It is easier to seek forgiveness than to ask permission

Rules are meant for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men

I'm Matt.

A Project Tube box would be a step up from a PP2, if you were open to buying 2nd hand.

I'm Bruce.

That's a shame, I have just sold my PP2e, £50... Had it a year using MM without any issues but my system was not the best to judge it. I used it with an Onkyo amp pending a new amp which I now have. I paid £79 on special offer.

I'm steve.

May be having second thoughts about getting a phono stage due to some recent ABing sessions I've had with my 2 vinyl setups, primary setup in the living room is a Rega P3(2016)/ATF7/Cambridge CP2, upstairs I have a recently acquired Audio Tecnica ATLP5/AT95EX with its own built in phono stage, the latter being the recipient of an outboard phono stage (should I decide to get one), the tests showed the 2 setups are extremely close in sound quality, different frequency bands have very little difference in level, subjectively the only noticeable difference is in the presentation, the 95EX being upfront, the ATF7 rather more laid back. Pretty big plus for AT with it being about a third of the price of the Rega.
    The main reason for the ABs was because of the acquisition of an ADC LMG-1 cast Magnesium headshell, I first had one in the early 1980's which I fitted to the original Linn Basik arm which was the standard fitting on my Ariston RD80, the ADC in that instance gave a noticeable upgrade to the sound quality.
    Mint condition LMG-1s are as rare as hen's teeth as they stopped making them quite a few years ago, so when I spotted one on eBay I couldn't resist, picked it up for under £40 inc carriage from France, bargain
    Improvements are slight but noticeable, best described as a tidying up of the sound, just a little crisper and more taut. Really not sure if adding an outboard stage is likely to give a worthwhile improvement, in this instance saving my money would probably be prudent.

I'm Graham.

I have a NAD PP2 as well as a Pro-Ject Record Box E. Using the MM inputs, both are extremely good. I replaced the NAD with the Project in order to copy some vinyls to digital, and did not notice any great difference in the analogue output sound between the two.
    GrahamS - It's not what you hear that counts, it's what you think you hear........

Present Kit: NAD 326BEE, NAD C515BEE CD player, JVC QL-7 DD turntable, JVC Tonearm, Shure M97Ve, Audio Technica AT95EX, Pickering V15, JVC Z1E, Wharfedale Diamond 230s, Visual Rio interconnects and My Ears.

I'm steve.

Nice to hear someone has a good word to say for a Project phono stage, online reviews tend to be quite negative. I’ve been trying to find a used Cambridge phono stage, unfortunately they seem to be going for rather silly money on ebay, quite often for more than they cost new. I did come across a stage I’d not seen before the Edwards Audio Apprentice MM stage, investigation online found very favourable reviews, Hifi Choice in particular, looks a bit of a bargain for £89 new, one to think about.

+ Reply to Thread