+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Amplifier hum

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Hard for me to offer any advice as your system is a totally different approach to what I prefer. I know the Edingdales do the biz with a 300B, the price is sensible and they are not far away which is why I mentioned them. I think they'd do you piano black if that's a requirement. As for matching JBLs with a 300B type - I have never heard that combo or even read about anyone trying it. By the laws of hi-fi someone must have though.
    No, if I ever did go JBL, The 300b would be swapped for something a bit chunkier, like Krell (good chance that combo has been done before). But anyway I'm dreaming.

If I had my time (and money) over again, I would certainly approach things differently. For one thing I would have joined AoS first, and no doubt the collective knowledge and experience here would have saved me fortunes.

I have considered the Edingdales before, but the thought of selling the £6k Zu's for perhaps a quarter of that, and then have to find more cash to add to it makes me squirm a bit. And money's rather tight at the moment. I know what Anita would say - the new speakers aren't gonna sound that great when the leccies been cut off

I wonder sometimes if a second, more experienced pair of ears might help me to avoid more fruitless and expensive choices, unfortunately I have no "Hi Fi buddies". So an open invitation to anyone travelling north (or south), very welcome to pop round for a brew on the way. Might even have biscuits.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    I know what Anita would say - the new speakers aren't gonna sound that great when the leccies been cut off

Women with their inconvenient common sense approach. What can you do?

I agree your midrange glare issue is a speaker problem. I wonder if it can be solved without changing the speakers? I take it you have experimented with raising and/or lowering the speakers relative to your head height when listening? Have you tried any acoustic treatments in the room?
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Steve.

Women with their inconvenient common sense approach. What can you do?

I agree your midrange glare issue is a speaker problem. I wonder if it can be solved without changing the speakers? I take it you have experimented with raising and/or lowering the speakers relative to your head height when listening? Have you tried any acoustic treatments in the room?
    It would be nice if something could be done with my existing speakers, and Zu Audio's tweeter upgrade kit looks like an affordable(ish) option. No soldering required, the only tool needed is a tiny torx bit. Shit, even I can't balls that up!

I have experimented with lean-back, toe in, and positioning, but in this size of room there's only so much you can do. I'm probably making it sound worse than it is, and a second pair of ears may think it sounds fine. Or they may run from the room, clutching their bleeding ears.

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:

A/V:

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

I'm Martin.

Can't find any measurements of the Omen Definition anywhere but looking at the reviews and the other Zu speakers that are measured I'd say the issue was the main drivers going into break up at the top of their range. Even so it shouldn't be a major issue unless you are very fussy about such things. I am and so I am guessing are you. So not sure the tweeter upgrade would resolve this. But could be worth a try.

If you were closer I'd come and have a listen. Not sure I could offer an experienced pair of ears but could at least give you a second opinion. I guess Alan had a listen when he was up there, what did he think?
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Steve.

Can't find any measurements of the Omen Definition anywhere but looking at the reviews and the other Zu speakers that are measured I'd say the issue was the main drivers going into break up at the top of their range. Even so it shouldn't be a major issue unless you are very fussy about such things. I am and so I am guessing are you. So not sure the tweeter upgrade would resolve this. But could be worth a try.

If you were closer I'd come and have a listen. Not sure I could offer an experienced pair of ears but could at least give you a second opinion. I guess Alan had a listen when he was up there, what did he think?
    No, Alan has never been here, I went to his place.

I too am wondering whether the tweeter upgrade would hit the spot - the sound 'artefact' I'm describing is somewhere around the upper midrange I'd say. Unless an interaction between the fr drivers and the tweeter are creating a harmonic? Is this possible, or am I just making shit up now?

T'other system:

A/V:

I'm Lawrence.

If I were you for that price relative to the original price of the speakers I'd give the tweeter upgrade a shot. However, in case you prefer the sound of the original, you're probably better off keeping them than trading in, could be a major false economy. Never a bad thing to have spares either. The new tweeters would benefit from a good run in before coming to a judgement however.

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk

I'm Grant.

might find the tweeter comes in earlier than you think too. might not, but a lot do.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    No, Alan has never been here, I went to his place.

I too am wondering whether the tweeter upgrade would hit the spot - the sound 'artefact' I'm describing is somewhere around the upper midrange I'd say. Unless an interaction between the fr drivers and the tweeter are creating a harmonic? Is this possible, or am I just making shit up now?
    Sometimes if you change one ingredient you change the taste of the whole stew. So maybe it would help. As usual in this hobby there's really only one way to be sure.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Geoff.

If you can identify where the peaky area seems to be in the response, you might be able to use an LCR filter to drop output across that point. There are circuits on the net.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Geoff.

I'd say the issue was the main drivers going into break up at the top of their range
    I suspect that will be correct.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast