+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Amplifier hum

I'm Steve.

Default Amplifier hum

Hi technical bods,

I am getting a fairly low level hum from my speakers, since I connected up a recently bought Bow Wazoo amplifier. The hum stays fairly quiet up tp about 3/4 on the volume knob, where it then is quite loud. When amp is on 'standby', the hum is still there, but does not increase with volume.

I've checked connections between it and deck and CD player, and I've also had it on with EVERYTHING, TV, a/v amp, sky box etc., everything unplugged. but the hum remains. Any suggestions? I've seen mention of 'filter capacitors' but don't know if this would be appropriate, nor what costs would be involved.

I can live with it for now, as long as nothing is coming to any harm, but it will bug the shit out of me long term.

It is a straight swap from my Audion Silver Night, which had no such problems.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

Hi Steve,
    Sounds like it could just be hum induced into the chassis from the mains transformer, being picked up on the inputs, or speaker output wiring, but as you say, it could also be cap failiar, either way; the only sure way of knowing is to get it looked at!
    A...
    Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    Hi technical bods,

I am getting a fairly low level hum from my speakers, since I connected up a recently bought Bow Wazoo amplifier. The hum stays fairly quiet up tp about 3/4 on the volume knob, where it then is quite loud. When amp is on 'standby', the hum is still there, but does not increase with volume.

I've checked connections between it and deck and CD player, and I've also had it on with EVERYTHING, TV, a/v amp, sky box etc., everything unplugged. but the hum remains. Any suggestions? I've seen mention of 'filter capacitors' but don't know if this would be appropriate, nor what costs would be involved.

I can live with it for now, as long as nothing is coming to any harm, but it will bug the shit out of me long term.

It is a straight swap from my Audion Silver Night, which had no such problems.
    "Today scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
    Nikola Tesla

Its now a conspiracy theory to believe that the Immune system is capable of doing the job it was designed to do.
    A fish is only as healthy as the water its swimming in ! [Dr Robert Young]

www.tubedistinctions.co.uk

Matthew 5:10

I'm David.

If the hum is still present on standby, then there is a fault with the amplifier and you should get it looked at
    David

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

I'm Chris.

Test with another amplifier if the noises still occur, if its the Wazoo, have the unit looked at and tested by the manufacturers
    to repair. Also test your RCA cables for discontinuity of their earthing - you can inspect each RCA individually , or if you have
    a multimeter test each signal cable, set to ohms for continuity of the inner and separately the outer shield.

Amplifiers that run warm/hot need adequate cooling particularly on warm days. Also check for recently placed extension leads
    , ideally have a a 1- 2 metre mains lead connecting that is in good condition.

I'm Steve.

Thanks for all your suggestions guys, unfortunately I have no technical abilities whatsoever. I have never used a multi-meter, and even had to google shorting plugs! I suppose the real question is: does anyone know of someone/somewhere that could carry out the necessary repair? I had a look at Bow Technologies' website, which is "under construction".

The Wazoo is a straight swap for my Audion Silver Night, which had no such problems.

In case any repair is going to be expensive, my other question would be: am I harming anything by using it? Having weighed up the pro's and cons of Wazoo vs Audion I was undecided whether to keep the Audion and sell the Wazoo on. But with this problem I couldn't in all conscience do that. So it looks like I may be selling a perfectly good amp and keeping a faulty one.

Serves me right really for scratching an itch that didn't need scratching!

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:

A/V:

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

I'm Martin.

Is it a valve amp Steve?

For repair you've got Jez Arkless to the north east of you, I know someone round my way who could fix it for you, and there's Alan Firebottle who might sort it out for you too, he's down in Brum.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Steve.

Thanks Martin. It an ss integrated.

Given the choice I would ask Alan Firebottle (a very nice man) if he can sort it, but not sure if it's his sort of thing.

But what I was wondering was whether I was harming anything by using it like this for a while - after driving 400 miles and shelling out £1000 on it, the thought of informing Mrs. P just one week later that I need another couple of 200mile round trips plus the cost of repairing it fills me with dread. Need a few weeks to build up to that one.

T'other system:

A/V:

I'm David.

Good luck with that
    David

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

I'm Simon.

Bow went out of business many years ago. At one time the original designer did have a small business repairing/upgrading product. He may still do that? In Denmark though.

This amp could be 20 years old; always a risk buying old kit from long gone manufacturers. Having said that, these were good amps. I'm sure it could be fixed and would most likely be worth it.
    Lindemann Network Bridge > McIntosh MHA150 > Shahinian Larc speakers

I'm Mick.

Hi Steve, cant you go back to the person you bought it from and say you think its faulty?
    Its a lot of money for something that's not working as you would expect.

A suggestion, With only the CD player and speakers connected,
    Play a CD, then push pause.
    Now adjust the volume.
    Does the noise(Hum) change with adjustment of the volume?

Mick

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast