+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Suggestions for preamp upgrade

I'm Philip.

Default Suggestions for preamp upgrade

I’ve recently connected up my old hifi system to my iMac. I’m using Roon to stream my (classical) music and the audio chain looks like this:

iMac => ethernet => microRendu => USB => Chord Qutest => Quad 66 => Quad 606 => Quad ESL 63s

I’m thinking about upgrading the amplifier and my local dealer has suggested replacing the Quad 66 with an Icon Audio LA4 Mk III. I’m hoping to audition it over the next few days.

In the meanwhile, I’d love to hear from anyone who has experience of this (or a similar combo) or has a view about it.

Philip

I'm Hampus.

I would look at Primaluna, similar in sound to the Icon (ive only heard the icon 40 but guessing the la4 has the same sound) however Primaluna feels “smarter” with auto-bias and a good remote.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Prima Luna will change tone I suspect, depending on the load presented and more perhaps than other valve amps with output transformers. It may be a lovely sound and this brand is much loved by a small legion of enthusiastic owners (I hope to listen to one of the top models soon) but 'neutral' it aint according to the Stereophile reviews into real-world speakers anyway. Just keep eyes shut and ears open when listening to one and if you like the 'flavour' then brilliant Icon Audio used to be good I remember, but they deal direct these days more I gather, although I could be wrong here.

The 66 preamp is pretty good, but I remember the early version (there was a re-design into basically a mk2 version at some point according to the dada website) could sound just a little 'light' in sonic textures from memory. Lots of op-amps I seem to recall that could be changed for the better here if memory serves. I have to say that remote aside, the 77 preamp was a leap forward in musical terms and I love this sweet toned and 'airy' design and the phono stage was no slouch either.

Purely my opinion obviously, but a good working 606 *to me* is a top amp regardless of price. Early ones (our first demo unit) took time to warm up (a couple of hours to remove a 'grain' from the sound) but later mk1 samples didn't! It doesn't sound overly 'analytical' or 'sharp,' but neither does it sound boringly slugged or slushy to me. My perhaps silly comment about eyes shut and ears open applies HUGELY to the 606, as it's a bloody ugly looking breeze-block thing with well, the visual charm of a 'breeze block ' Had it looked like the slightly less powerful 520, it might have appealed to me more (who says appearances have no impact - they bloomin' well do!). dada do service kits for almost all Quad amps and if you want 'more' than a good 606 can give, I seriously think it'll cost a lot more.

Be careful with the 63's. By all accounts, they can come unstuck and as you must know, the grilles under the cloths, if the domestic model, tend to need the speakers raised up and/or angled back a bit for best high frequencies if they're not to sound thick and muffled...
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Philip.

Thanks for this suggestion, hlinden. The Primaluna seems to be a bit more expensive than the Icon, which is already a bit of a stretch for my budget.

I do like the prospect of a good remote – the Quad one I've been using has really spoiled me in that respect. But with most of the controls on my iPad using the Roon app, all I need is an on/off button and volume control.

Could you tell me what auto-bias is?

I'm Philip.

Thanks for those thoughts and observations, David.

I agree with you about the Quad 606, as does my local dealer. Except that I'm happy with the aesthetics of the unit. I like its understated solidity. Have you any experience of the dada upgrade kit for the 606? I have no experience of opening up and amplifier so although it sounds really interesting I'm wary of wrecking my amp.

As to the ESL 63s, I'd be up for putting them on stands but they're already unpopular with my wife, who sees them as big, ugly slabs encroaching into the room. I don't think I'd get away with making them any bigger.

When you say that Icon Audio used to be good, is that to imply that the quality of their products has slipped? The reviews I've read of the LA4 Mk III are positive but mostly entirely subjective. I'd love to see a more scientific/objective study but I've had no luck in finding one.

I'm Timothy.

Unpopular vote here, save your money, enjoy what you have! It appears to be a fine setup.
    Holbo TT-Nag 110-Croft phono/Innuos Zen MK2/LinnenberG Telemann DAC-Preamp/LinnenberG Allegro monoblocs/Duevel Venus/LinnenberG Maestro SE-Senn. 660S DH Labs cabling

Croft Series 7 amps, WLM La Scala, Naim Uniti1, Naim Nait XS3, Naim ND5XS2, Guru Junior

I'm Chris.

I agree, keep your 606 and 63's, (which are not as large as 57's )
    as they both are exceedingly good.

As for the preamp yes that needs changing to a passive, which will suit the
    incredible sensitivity of the 606 perfectly.

I'm Rob.

If you go the passive route, I'd highly recommend the Schiit Saga. It works a treat with my Beard P35, and is a steal at the price. It even has a remote control. More info on the manufacturer's site.
    Rob.