+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Suggestions for preamp upgrade

I'm Phil.

Quote Originally Posted by tatami View Post
    This is a really interesting suggestion, thank you, Rob. I hadn't come across the Schiit Saga and it has the definite advantage of being about a quarter the price of the Icon and Primaluna options. I just called Schiit's UK distributor and he's offered to loan me his demo unit in a couple of weeks' time. He's concerned that in tube mode it might cause hum on the electrostatics (but that shouldn't be the case in passive mode).

I'm going to try and get the Schiit and Icon preamps on loan together so I can plug them into my system and audition them alongside my Quad 66. Should be interesting.

Thank you too, Frazeur1 and Light Dependant Resistor for your thoughts. I'm learning a lot here and it's really interesting.

Philip
    the saga does not hum at all in valve mode that i can see . the freya has 14db gain in valve mode and there can be a tiny tiny little bit of noise but its very small . i only notice it with my sensitive horns . it was deadly silent with my tannoys and the quad 2905 i heard it with

look forward how it compares . i use a brimar valve in the saga courtesy of jerry and i like it . the freya has a bit more slam but i think the saga is very good

P1060391 by , on Flickr

P1060387 by , on Flickr
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    The spec for a Quad 606 is 0.5V for 140W into 8 ohms. 0.775V is pretty typical for many power amps, and 0.5V is only 4dB more sensitive than that, so I think "incredible sensitivity" is something of an overstatement.
    Agree but QUAD amps do seem to work especially well with passive pots. Heard that more than once.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Agree but QUAD amps do seem to work especially well with passive pots. Heard that more than once.
    Since digital sources have a typical maximum output level of 2V, the 0.5V sensitivity of Quad amplifiers is sufficiently high to allow the use of a passive pot.
    Barry

I'm Martin.

2V is the Red Book standard but some CD players go up to 3V. Don't know about DACS but I imagine it's similar. One set up I heard was run from a Memorex cassette deck into QED passive pot into QUAD 303. Really good sound.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Rob.

I'm glad my suggestion was of interest.

Quote Originally Posted by tatami View Post
    I'm going to try and get the Schiit and Icon preamps on loan together so I can plug them into my system and audition them alongside my Quad 66. Should be interesting.
    It will be interesting to hear how the comparison turns out.
    Rob.