+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Where has my bass gone? :-(

I'm Simon.

Quote Originally Posted by fatmarley View Post
    You didn't replace the electrolytic capacitors in the crossover with polypropylene did you?
    No - I haven't touched the crossovers - they're completely original. Could an ageing capacitor could cause a lack of bass?

Quote Originally Posted by fatmarley View Post
    New bass drivers are worth it imo.
    I certainly haven't ruled out replacing the bass drivers - I just want to test out the cheaper options first :-)

Thanks,

Simon.
    System 1: Marantz CD6000OSE, Beresford TC-7520, Marantz PM6010OSE, QED QNect II interconnect, Dual CS505 Mk3 turntable with Audiotechnica AT110E cartridge, Denon DRM-700A cassette deck, biwired B&W 685 S2 speakers on sand-filled Atacama SE24 supports.
    System 2: Marantz M-CR610, JPW Gold Monitors, Chord C-Screen speaker cables, NAS drive.
    System 3 (portable): Cayin N3
    My website: Foxysounds website
    My music: Foxysounds music

I'm Simon.

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    I do. The capacitor in the crossover blocks DC so you can't read DC resistance.
    In which case I would infer that only the tweeter part of the crossover contains a capacitor (since I was able to read the resistance across the woofer) and as the woofer seems to be the problem, not the tweeter, that would suggest that the capacitor is not the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    When you repaired the speakers, did you replace the surrounds? Is it possible they have perished and become stiffer than when they were new? Are they foam? Rubber?
    Yes, that's exactly what I did. The original surrounds had perished. I can't remember what the replacements are made of but it was only about 3 years ago so I doubt that the replacements will have perished. They certainly look to be in fine shape.
    System 1: Marantz CD6000OSE, Beresford TC-7520, Marantz PM6010OSE, QED QNect II interconnect, Dual CS505 Mk3 turntable with Audiotechnica AT110E cartridge, Denon DRM-700A cassette deck, biwired B&W 685 S2 speakers on sand-filled Atacama SE24 supports.
    System 2: Marantz M-CR610, JPW Gold Monitors, Chord C-Screen speaker cables, NAS drive.

I'm Simon.

I got home from work too late today to do any listening tests at sensible volumes so I spent some time making some links so that I can use the AP2s single-wired. Tomorrow or Wednesday evening I should have time to move them onto my second system in the other room and see how they sound in there. Thanks again for all the input everyone. It's much appreciated.

Simon.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by foxysounds View Post
    No - I haven't touched the crossovers - they're completely original. Could an ageing capacitor could cause a lack of bass?

I certainly haven't ruled out replacing the bass drivers - I just want to test out the cheaper options first :-)

Thanks,

Simon.
    It's unlikely that a failing capacitor would curtail bass. If there is a cap in the bass side of the crossover, it will likely be one in parallel and if it failed only the filter slope may change, not the general output level through most of the bass range.

If the bass drivers were faulty, you'd probably hear odd noises from them or they wouldn't work at all. It's just possible that coil windings have shorted across reducing output, but I've never actually come across this, let alone on two drivers simultaneously. If you have a meter, measure the coil resistance, it should be somewhere around 4 ohms or slightly more.

I'm matt.

Just reread the thread and the fact you use quite extreme eq on the other system makes me wonder about your hearing. Could be worth getting your hearing checked out if you can't solve the problem with component swops.

I'm Grant.

Yup getting the speakers into other room with links on is best first step. If still no bass then it would point to speaker fault Try the second set In the other room where no bass was as well. It should have some if speaker is at fault. None again would point toward you. Then you need someone with decent hearing to do same test

It's slow but methodical wins the day
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

Another quicky if not tried yet would be to switch the two big speakers round. Move the left one to the right side of room. If one driver is issue you should hear it change
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Steve.

Hi Simon,

Probably a stupid question this, but I'll ask it anyway:

Could it possibly be something to do with the cone surrounds fitted? Could they be a bit on the stiff side? Also, do they perhaps need a kind of 'running in' period, while they loosen up?
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Geoff.

If the cones have what appears to be the full range of back and forth movement it's unlikely there's a problem.

I'm matt.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    Hi Simon,

Probably a stupid question this, but I'll ask it anyway:

Could it possibly be something to do with the cone surrounds fitted? Could they be a bit on the stiff side?
    Quite possible. I remember years ago reading Classic Speaker Pages and a common complaint was finding foam surrounds with the correct compliance to fit Acoustic Research speakers. With a stiff surround, people would complain about a lack of bass.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast