+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Cabinet Plans for Tannoy HPD 385

I'm frank.

This comes from the K-series constructor guides from Tannoy.

Already shared this with John but may be of use to others;

For HPD 385 follow 3838 recommendation;

Obviously you'll need to adjust driver cut-out to suit.

Frank

I'm John.

Thanks Frank, favourite at the minute is a slight variation on II, an Arden sized cab which would sit on my stands. Probably 800 x 600 x 450 mm using 25mm plywood all round with a 500 x 500 sub baffle to give a recessed look to the driver and a bit more strength at the front. Should give a net volume of around 150L.

Is there any merit going for marine ply over hardwood ply?

My driver is rear mounted to the baffle in my current cabs so I’ll need a new gasket to go between the baffle and the rear of the driver for these new cabs, what’s best for this, industrial compressed paper gasket material or some sort of foam?

I'm frank.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnJo View Post
    Thanks Frank, favourite at the minute is a slight variation on II, an Arden sized cab which would sit on my stands. Probably 800 x 600 x 450 mm using 25mm plywood all round with a 500 x 500 sub baffle to give a recessed look to the driver and a bit more strength at the front. Should give a net volume of around 150L.

Is there any merit going for marine ply over hardwood ply?

My driver is rear mounted to the baffle in my current cabs so I’ll need a new gasket to go between the baffle and the rear of the driver for these new cabs, what’s best for this, industrial compressed paper gasket material or some sort of foam?
    This stuff is great;http://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?...emode=category

Baltic Birch would be my choice, and glue the driver cut out(s) to the rear panel(old JBL/Yamaha trick). If you can I'd go for the 165L, if not the porting will need a bit of adjustment.

I'm John.

Cheers for the gasket link.

Internal dimensions of II are 866x609x318mm=167.7L not sure where Tannoy got 175 from.

My 800x600x450 exterior gives 750x550x400 internal =165L so virtually identical.

I was reckoning on 150L net by the time you subtract a bit for the bracing and the driver basket, is that reasonable?
    Last edited by JohnJo; 25-09-2018 at 21:33.

I'm frank.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnJo View Post
    Cheers for the gasket link.

Internal dimensions of II are 866x609x318mm=167.7L not sure where Tannoy got 175 from.

My 800x600x450 exterior gives 750x550x400 internal =165L so virtually identical.

I was reckoning on 150L net by the time you subtract a bit for the bracing and the driver basket, is that reasonable?
    Yeah 175 must be a typo, I got 165L by doing it quickly in my head. You should be fine.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Frank,

Would Macca benefit from this, with the HPDs you sold him?

He still hasn't got any cabs sorted yet.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm frank.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Hi Frank,

Would Macca benefit from this, with the HPDs you sold him?

He still hasn't got any cabs sorted yet.

Marco.
    Not really Marco. 3833/36, different drivers so not without different tuning.
    Last edited by cooky; 29-09-2018 at 08:22.

I'm John.

Can’t be accused of rushing into this, a year and four months later!

Actually the Lockwoods have been sounding rather good of late following a bit of tinkering but I I spied this the other day and had a Baldrick moment.

4F51A456-0A79-4892-B61F-41A42FCD5FCF.jpg
    Last edited by JohnJo; 17-01-2020 at 21:12.

I'm John.

A bit of jiggery-pokery turned that into these. Idea is to spend as little as possible to see if it’s worth investing in a proper cabinet build. These are rough as but definitely serviceable. Tomorrow will see install of cross bracing, internal damping and maybe even get the mounting holes drilled and drivers fitted.

No idea why this photo is sideways. Really miss photobucket but there’s no way I’m handing out £90 a year or whatever it is.

B5F102F0-58A2-42AB-8BD5-EDEB965833DB.jpg

I'm Geoff.

Try using Imgur.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast