Quote Originally Posted by cooky View Post
    I'm wrong-it happens ;-)
    Figures should be ;

York 191hz
    Berkeley 216hz
    Arden 191hz
    Arundel 230hz
    Johns 205hz
    Which implies my calculation is still wrong as I'm getting 174Hz for the Arden, based on a width of 660mm.
    Main System: Mac Mini > Schiit Yggdrasil 2 OG > Yamaha A-S3000 > Celestion Ditton 66
    Headphone System: Mac Mini > Schiit Yggdrasil 2 OG > Sparkos Aries / Schiit Mjolnir 2 > Sennheiser HD600

I'm frank.

No Richard, I'd entered the DIY cab 'Arden equivalent' dimension of 600mm(now corrected). The f3 formula/principle holds though.

I'm matt.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnJo View Post
    Hi Matt, thanks for taking the time to model the speakers.

Cabinet dimensions are 56x35x110cm external, 52x31.5x104 internal = 170L minus bracing and driver. What width of baffle would you recommend?

Room is sealed, 13x11ft with speakers on the short wall firing down the length of the room. Ceiling height is 8ft above speakers to middle of the room then tapers down at the listening end a bit.

Would you mind running the model for a 200L or 220L sealed box if you had the time as that's what I'm thinking of next?

Thanks!
    Here's 210ltr sealed. It's almost exactly the same as 170ltr sealed, so not worth increasing volume. The dark grey line is with a guesstimate at your room gain with the dimensions you gave me.

Here's another of your 170ltr ported to 24hz, but with a guesstimate at your room gain. It doesn't look good with that massive peak.

What do you feel you are lacking? If you are lacking midbass punch then you'd need to reduce enclosure volume. That's the only way to increase it with a passive crossover.

I'm John.

Thanks Matt, that’s good info, as you say there appears to be little to gain from a larger sealed enclosure.

The port is tuned to around 40hz at present as far as I can tell from using the graphs in the constructors instructions.

Ported the speakers aren’t lacking anything but sound like a PA system scale wise in the room, they’re huge, not subtle. They’re much more more civilised as sealed, but would have liked a smidge more weight in the bottom end but it’s not a big issue.

The 170L cabs when sealed sound better balanced (deeper fuller bass) than the 110L cabs sealed.

I'm matt.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnJo View Post
    Thanks Matt, that’s good info, as you say there appears to be little to gain from a larger sealed enclosure.

The port is tuned to around 40hz at present as far as I can tell from using the graphs in the constructors instructions.

Ported the speakers aren’t lacking anything but sound like a PA system scale wise in the room, they’re huge, not subtle. They’re much more more civilised as sealed, but would have liked a smidge more weight in the bottom end but it’s not a big issue.

The 170L cabs when sealed sound better balanced (deeper fuller bass) than the 110L cabs sealed.
    Without measurements it's hard to say what's going on, but it may just be that sealed works better than anything else in your room.

I'm John.

I think you’re right. Looking at the trace with the room gain it’s not bad, pretty much what I’m hearing, a slight drop off in low frequencies. Thanks.

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by cooky View Post
    No Richard, I'd entered the DIY cab 'Arden equivalent' dimension of 600mm(now corrected). The f3 formula/principle holds though.
    Ah, ok Frank, that makes sense, thanks.
    Main System: Mac Mini > Schiit Yggdrasil 2 OG > Yamaha A-S3000 > Celestion Ditton 66
    Headphone System: Mac Mini > Schiit Yggdrasil 2 OG > Sparkos Aries / Schiit Mjolnir 2 > Sennheiser HD600

I'm Richard.

I imagine the combination of 1) baffle step roll-off; 2) early LF roll-off from using too large an enclosure for the drive unit; 3) LF peak at port tuning; and d) room gain; can wreak quite a bit of havoc with the linearity of a speaker's in-room bass response, and that's before you even factor in peaks and nulls from room modes!...

I'm Martin.

Just a guess but the 'PA speaker in your face' description sounds like there is a big peak in output centered around 1KHz - essentially like giant Linn Kans.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm John.

I also have the issue of a sloping ceiling above my listening chair but we’ll get there, it’s only HIFI, there’s people with bigger problems

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast