+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cabinet Plans for Tannoy HPD 385

I'm John.

Default Cabinet Plans for Tannoy HPD 385

Does anyone have any cabinet plans suitable for Tannoy HPD 385s?

I am seriously considering rehousing my drivers from their current Lockwood Academy enclosures as they are on the small side at 68L and I feel the bass is lacking a bit of impact and weight causing the presentation to sound too mid-centred.

I thought I would start gathering ideas with a view to possibly building over the winter.

I have a nice pair of solid oak stands which I'm using at present but I think to get a decent internal volume we're realistically looking at a floorstander rather than a standmount design.

I'm thinking bass reflex rather than horn loaded. Obviously the Arden is out there but having looked at a lot of Tannoys online I think the closest to what I'm looking for is the York and I would prefer the rectangular style to the corner type. Tweeter height of around 34-36" would be ideal. Ardens are a much lower height.

My room is 13 x 11 with an 8ft ceiling which tapers at the listening end.

Anyone anything they could share or any advice gleaned from experience, either would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, John

I'm Geoff.

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    The only one of those suitable as far as I can see is this, the rest are either horn loaded or for smaller drivers.

I'm Geoff.

The York is the predecessor to the Arden. Both enclosures are suitable for 15" Golds and HPD's. Best used on short stands or plinths and both benefit from additional internal bracing.

I'm matt.

A Tannoy is no different from any other speaker when it comes to low frequency tuning. There's this common internet myth that Tannoys are somehow immune to the laws of physics and that you can just stick them in a massive box and everything will be great. If you make the box bigger than they are supposed to be in and tune lower, you will get more low frequency extension but the overall bass level will be lower than the midrange/treble (easy to model in any software).

The only time you could get an improvement is when something is wrong in the first place, eg - bass is peaky so you can tune lower or it's a sealed box, so you could possibly port them to gain more extension. Is the Lockwood a sealed box? Most Tannoys are designed for porting.

If it were me, i'd open the enclosure and find out what crossover it has (standard Tannoy or something Lockwood designed?). I don't know the model numbers but lets say the driver and crossover are for a York, then that's what i'd build.

I'm Edward.

John

Have a chat with Paul at RFC. I'm sure he could design something unique that fits your style, your room and optimises your HPDs.

Knowing Tom's and Adam's RFC designed cabinets I'm sure you would be delighted what Paul could do.
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    The York is the predecessor to the Arden. Both enclosures are suitable for 15" Golds and HPD's. Best used on short stands or plinths and both benefit from additional internal bracing.
    Where does the Amesbury fit in there Geoff, is that the proper name for the rectangular York?

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by fatmarley View Post
    A Tannoy is no different from any other speaker when it comes to low frequency tuning. There's this common internet myth that Tannoys are somehow immune to the laws of physics and that you can just stick them in a massive box and everything will be great. If you make the box bigger than they are supposed to be in and tune lower, you will get more low frequency extension but the overall bass level will be lower than the midrange/treble (easy to model in any software).

The only time you could get an improvement is when something is wrong in the first place, eg - bass is peaky so you can tune lower or it's a sealed box, so you could possibly port them to gain more extension. Is the Lockwood a sealed box? Most Tannoys are designed for porting.

If it were me, i'd open the enclosure and find out what crossover it has (standard Tannoy or something Lockwood designed?). I don't know the model numbers but lets say the driver and crossover are for a York, then that's what i'd build.
    Yes, the Lockwoods are sealed. It's a standard Tannoy HPD crossover.

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwardlon View Post
    John

Have a chat with Paul at RFC. I'm sure he could design something unique that fits your style, your room and optimises your HPDs.

Knowing Tom's and Adam's RFC designed cabinets I'm sure you would be delighted what Paul could do.
    I know Paul has plans suitable for the 15" driver, I think they are called Warwick but I've never seen a photo of a pair. I will likely speak with him in due course but I wanted to gather as much info as I could before hand so I can better understand his advice. Don't want to waste too much of his time.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnJo View Post
    Where does the Amesbury fit in there Geoff, is that the proper name for the rectangular York?
    No. I'd actually forgotten about the Amesbury (they were not in production very long). It fits between the York and Arden in lineage and is of similar dimensions. It was part of the first distinct series that housed HPD drivers (excluding the very last Chatsworths, which if I recall had HPD's and not Golds).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast