+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sound quality on catch up tv

I'm Jerry.

Default Sound quality on catch up tv

I watched Black Earth Rising a few nights ago on catch up and was struck by how much better the sound quality was compared to the previous week watched 'live'.
    It was a more immersive experience with the surround and atmos speakers contributing a great deal to the presentation. I have noticed the same on Netflix but put it down to the processing method.
    Is there any reason why ordinary tv should be different?
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    Custom Hifi cables HA10SE headphone amplifier and Hifiman HE-400 headphones.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

The BBC use a lot of bandwidth for all their other broadcast data on their multiplex on Freeview.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Steve.

Ah so it wasn't my imagination - I have occasionally noticed SQ to be better on catch up than live broadcast.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

It was not your imagination.
    Sound quality on both Virgin and Sky is far better than on Freeview. IIRC Freesat is too.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

+ Reply to Thread