+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Audio Show 2018 - Leamington Spa

I'm Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by sq225917 View Post
    Quads
    Yes - they were Quads. They were probably the most recognisable elements in the setup. Note how they are aligned - one centre back, the other mid left.
    Rob.
    Powered by crossed fingers and clenched buttocks

I'm Phil.

Quote Originally Posted by speedracer View Post
    Are we talking about the same system Phil? When we were in there the was a Gyrodec front end with the small electrostatic speakers & not the Horning, which I didn't hear.
    ah , theres the difference . we heard the new horning speakers and they were delicious
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by sq225917 View Post
    It's not unfair, it's an opinion.

There's nothing unfair about thinking he's a talentless designer of shit, ugly speakers. It's just an opinion, a viewpoint.

Apparently, it's an opinion that you disagree with, but one that I know is shared by almost everyone whose ears I trust.
    Indeed, but you can express the same opinion, Simon, without the use of such derogatory language.

Using the word "shite" or "shit", to describe a product that someone has spent a considerable amount of money on, and worked hard to produce, is indeed unfair and completely unnecessary.

It may not be to your tastes, which is fine, but there are other words you could've used instead, to get the same message across. A classic case of 'It's not *what* you say, but how you say it'

Please bear that in mind in future, and try to be a little more constructive with your criticism. Cheers!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Martin.

We are talking about the same Hart Audio that offered the internals of a Bose wave radio mounted on a camera tripod as a high end speaker design? Aren't we?
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    We are talking about the same Hart Audio that offered the internals of a Bose wave radio mounted on a camera tripod as a high end speaker design? Aren't we?
    Going from the sublime to the ridiculous (or vice versa?): http://www.extravaganzi.com/47-milli...-loudspeakers/
    Barry

I'm Simon.

You're right of course Marco that was just plain lazy of me. Such a monumentally poor piece of design deserves a much more probing and detailed criticism.

On entering the Hart audio room my ears were assailed by what was by some significant margin the worst sounding pair if speakers I've ever heard. Not only did they fall far below the sound quality that one expect for a commercial audio show it would have been embarrassing if you've lucked upon them in a room at Scalford that was hosted by a well known partially sighted regular user of sign language.

To say that they were cobbled together from a mismatch of crudely salvaged refuse yard leftovers would be an injustice to modern well run waste disposal sites. Had they had included half an 1950s kitchen chair I wouldn't have been any more surprised.

With an array of rear facing miniature 'bass units' of tiny cone size and hugely limited xmax coupled to a point source coaxial mid and tweeter they could barely have been a larger clash of concepts. And clash was what they were both sonically and visually.

Of course no one should be surprised that he expect people to part with thousands of pounds for the finished items, which if previous firm is anything to go by will be barely better visually finished than these engineering samples. Of course thats 'engineering' in the least accurate possible use of the term.
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Well at least this time your critique is a little more intelligent... "Shite" simply isn't that, nor indeed very creative

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Deleted.

I was at said show (and it was really good - very enjoyable). I also visited the Hart room. Funnily enough, I’ve been to that many shows I’ve heard all the speakers Hart have ever ‘produced’ - I’ve not heard the Bose radio based speaker so I’ve not heard everything he/they have done. Sq’s assesment May be harsh but it is accurate.
    Account Deleted

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Supreme D L View Post
    That is a tad unfair, the two box Hart Audio's Evo1 speakers, in my opinion, are very good. The year I heard them at the 2010 London HiFi Fidelity Heathrow show that room was producing one of the best sounds at the show.
    I have to agree, I was at that show and there were some grating sounds from then fashionable brands like Aspara et al. The Hart two box design may be compromised in engineering terms and all wrong and back to front, but it sounded OK though agreeably not stellar. But it was a welcome respite from the surrounding earache frankly. Price is better left out of the equation though...

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Oops - the Hart speakers I heard were the Asparas, which look(ed) like this:

I remember being quite impressed by them (not grating at all), but they are not the design sq commented on.

Apologies for the confusion.
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast