+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Audio Show 2018 - Leamington Spa

I'm Justin.

The AudioNec The Answer is the one I like. Really interesting bass driver. Flat panel jobbie. Sounds superb. Same mid driver as the Diva I believe but could be wrong.

The Diva XL wasn't great this year at Munich. 'The Answer' blew my mind a bit at Munich a few years ago.

I'm Brook.

Myself & a fellow Wammer drove up from the south coast & I would say it was just about worth the visit. The things that stood out for me were the Kerr Acoustic speakers that were in three rooms I think, particularly the K320 which were on the end of relatively modest vintage gear. The AudioNec system was impressive but totally irrelevant to the average wage earner; Long Dog Audio's room sounded nice, again with Kerr Acoustic speakers, but we noticed there was a lot of sibilance on the records we heard, maybe cart not set up correctly but you would hope they would have checked & double checked to make sure they were sounding as good as possible before the public came in. Also, I felt vocals in many of the rooms were rather recessed, probably down to the rooms, some were too small really, I was looking forward to the Art Audio room but the room they had was so small with speakers tucked up the corners it was nigh on impossible to get a decent sound from it.
    The biggest disappointment though was the Willow Tree Audio room, I really wanted to like the FrontRo electrostatics but they were very disappointing, not heard a sound so bad since, well never actually, they were awful.

I'm Mel.

Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post
    The AudioNec The Answer is the one I like. Really interesting bass driver. Flat panel jobbie. Sounds superb. Same mid driver as the Diva I believe but could be wrong.

The Diva XL wasn't great this year at Munich. 'The Answer' blew my mind a bit at Munich a few years ago.
    Pictures from show and I thought these had the best sound at the show - though they didn't have to beat very much !

and as i said check out that speaker cable !!!

Mel

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Quote Originally Posted by speedracer View Post
    Myself & a fellow Wammer drove up from the south coast & I would say it was just about worth the visit. The things that stood out for me were the Kerr Acoustic speakers that were in three rooms I think, particularly the K320 which were on the end of relatively modest vintage gear. The AudioNec system was impressive but totally irrelevant to the average wage earner; Long Dog Audio's room sounded nice, again with Kerr Acoustic speakers, but we noticed there was a lot of sibilance on the records we heard, maybe cart not set up correctly but you would hope they would have checked & double checked to make sure they were sounding as good as possible before the public came in. Also, I felt vocals in many of the rooms were rather recessed, probably down to the rooms, some were too small really, I was looking forward to the Art Audio room but the room they had was so small with speakers tucked up the corners it was nigh on impossible to get a decent sound from it.
    The biggest disappointment though was the Willow Tree Audio room, I really wanted to like the FrontRo electrostatics but they were very disappointing, not heard a sound so bad since, well never actually, they were awful.
    We did check and double check, using a Smart tractor too, got it a lot better than it was when we first set it up. It’s a Koetsu Black, it’s been retipped though, which might have something to do with it.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Brook.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    We did check and double check, using a Smart tractor too, got it a lot better than it was when we first set it up. It’s a Koetsu Black, it’s been retipped though, which might have something to do with it.
    Ah okay, thanks for explaining, still sounded good despite that, & I have to be honest & say the thought behind my comment was mainly due to being very disappointed by the FrontRo electrostatics before going in your room, I should have been clearer about that.

I'm Justin.

This is for Firebottle.

The fact that this was 7 years ago now and I still remember this speaker very well is a testament to how great I thought it was. Up there with the world's very best I thought and still do. I think it is only around £70 odd Ks worth Alan, so a relative bargain.

That bass driver has many of the attributes of a good sized Apogee bass driver. It doesn't quite have the nimbleness and articulation of a decent Apogee, but it has qualities an Apogee bass driver doesn't have. Higher SPL due to higher extension would be one. It's f&*(ing good, basically.

Any speaker at these sorts of prices and above are ridiculous, but this one at least goes some way towards justification of its expense.

There's more after the first page mention of it. I hope it comes to the UK at some stage and people get to hear it. Brilliant speaker. Looks shit, sounds excellent.

http://www.martinloganowners.com/for...011-Hi-Fi-Show

I'm Simon.

I liked the Thores amps and Deco room. The Audionec stuff was impressive but a visual clusterf_ck. And that poor dreamer in the closed demo room, bless his heart, he really can't see any reason why he'll never sell a single damn thing to do with his new multichannel none surround sound thing.

Best of all though, the Hart Audio room, ha ha, prototype, protoshite more like.
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Quote Originally Posted by speedracer View Post
    Ah okay, thanks for explaining, still sounded good despite that, & I have to be honest & say the thought behind my comment was mainly due to being very disappointed by the FrontRo electrostatics before going in your room, I should have been clearer about that.
    No worries, just wanted to make it clear we do go to some length to try and get things right, it’s not easy getting a decent sound in a hotel room. The room treatment really helps we’ve found.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Something that might be of interest to some- I was chatting to a guy from Qobuz, he was saying it will work with Roon in a couple of weeks or so. Got a three month free trial off him.

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by sq225917 View Post

Best of all though, the Hart Audio room, ha ha, prototype, protoshite more like.
    Hi Simon

David still producing the same old shite then
    Coherent Systems
    Real high end sound with musicality not hifi

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast