+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pink Floyd remasters - is it me or are they a bit crap?

I'm Steve.

Default Pink Floyd remasters - is it me or are they a bit crap?

In the last couple of years I fancied revisiting some of my old favourites (old copies having been given/swapped/stolen/lost) and amongst the stuff I bought were 'Wish You Were Here' and 'DSOTM'. The sound quality of these records seem to lack the 'sparkle' of the original releases - they sound a bit muddy and slow, and a bit of top end detail seems to have all but gone.

The set up I have now blows my seventies stereo into the weeds, but when playing the above mentioned discs I find that small details I remember hearing on the old pressings are now virtually inaudible. It makes the listening experience a bit tiring, if that makes any sense, like driving an underpowered car on a fast road. It's got so I don't want to buy any more Floyd reissues - I'll look out for nice condition originals instead.

Or maybe I'll buy a graphic equaliser, and leave the sliders in the smile position, like this
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Clive.

The remastered Pulse is excellent, as was the original.
    TT 1 Trans-Fi Salvation with magnetic bearing + Trans-Fi Terminator T3Pro + London Reference
    TT 2 Garrard 301 with NWA main bearing + Audiomods Series Six 10.5" + Ortofon 2M Mono SE
    Digital Lindemann Bridge + Gustard R26 with LB external clock
    Pre and Power Amp EWA M40P + M40A
    Bass Amp & DSP Behringer iNuke NU3000DSP x 2
    Speakers 1 Bastanis Sagarmatha Duo with twin baffleless 15" bass drivers per side
    Speakers 2 MarkaudioSota Viotti Tower

I'm jamie.

my old early pressing the wall album,beats hands down the 1st issue jap pressing and the remastered one,much more dynamics.
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Grant.

thought the latest dsotm was ok. waybe a bit more refined than the original, which is still my fav i guess but not by much. got 2 cds of it too.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Rohan.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    In the last couple of years I fancied revisiting some of my old favourites (old copies having been given/swapped/stolen/lost) and amongst the stuff I bought were 'Wish You Were Here' and 'DSOTM'. The sound quality of these records seem to lack the 'sparkle' of the original releases - they sound a bit muddy and slow, and a bit of top end detail seems to have all but gone.

The set up I have now blows my seventies stereo into the weeds, but when playing the above mentioned discs I find that small details I remember hearing on the old pressings are now virtually inaudible. It makes the listening experience a bit tiring, if that makes any sense, like driving an underpowered car on a fast road. It's got so I don't want to buy any more Floyd reissues - I'll look out for nice condition originals instead.

Or maybe I'll buy a graphic equaliser, and leave the sliders in the smile position, like this

Pardon me for the observation, but what you describe sounds like age-related hearing loss.

I don't know how old you are but that description of lacking sparkle is a (pardon the expression) dead ringer for the top-end extension going with age.

I remember listening to stuff 20 years ago on inferior equipment and it doesn't sound quite the same now. Exposure to bloody rock drummers and their cymbals can't have helped.

I'm John.

I've got a recent DSOTM reissue and I think it sounds great. Pleasantly surprised when I first played it.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by VanDerGraaf View Post
    Pardon me for the observation, but what you describe sounds like age-related hearing loss.

I don't know how old you are but that description of lacking sparkle is a (pardon the expression) dead ringer for the top-end extension going with age.

I remember listening to stuff 20 years ago on inferior equipment and it doesn't sound quite the same now. Exposure to bloody rock drummers and their cymbals can't have helped.
    Rohan, I think you've hit the nail on the head there!

I've been looking at another thread over in 'Blank Canvas' (HF hearing loss) and so have done a couple of online tests. It would seem my hearing all goes pear shaped at around 7.5kz, so what you suggest may be the problem. Crap stereo + good ears = some detail, good stereo + crap hearing = rather less detail.

Would explain why my ancient copy of "The Wall" still sounds good - the gradual hearing loss has failed to hear any difference. If it had remained unplayed for the last 30 odd years, the difference today would be noticeable I suppose.

Sorry for wasting everybody's time. As you were, gentlemen!
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm openingabottleofwine.

The re-mastered DSOTM is a different mix to the original vinyl version. Maybe that is why you don't like it.
    Barry

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

I grew to love and then detest (for many years) DSOTM as we had a Dolby A master copy at work, which was played a fair bit. Rather more sparkle than I feel the current releases have - they used the vinyls as reference, so maybe smothered the sparkle out, I don't know.

For what it's worth, I like the Doug Sax (TML) digital masterings from the early 90's (Shine-On box set masterings) are my favourites and may be from different tapes (the original EMI and Shine-On masterings have different 'hum' in the background I remember, so maybe from different tapes, I don't know). The later masterings I have here on FLAC do tend to sound a bit more 'safe' than I recall and the stereo 'CD layer' on the SA-CD issue of DSOTM some years back was very underwhelming to me at the time.

Thing is for me, the original CD's sound better than ever using modern digital hardware and the 'differences' between the masterings don't seem to matter to me so much musically. Difficult one.

I know this album so well I can 'play it in my head' only too well. I should dig it out again to play again. Forget the vinyl though I'd suggest - totally pointless imo as things are done in the cutting/mastering to dilute an already dated recording I think.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm openingabottleofwine.

I don't know about the first CD version of DSOTM, as I never bought a copy, but I can say the so-called re-mastered CD uses a totally different mix down compared with the original vinyl version: listen to the background comments made by the old man, to hear what I mean.

The same is true of the re-mastered CD of the Rolling Stones' 'Let it Bleed': the autoharp played is quite different to that on the original vinyl.
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast