+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: To screen or to not screen? Cables

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Would they though? That's the thing about manufacturers, they don't usually go the extra mile.

A lot of this is down to your mains quality. I suspect if you have an excellent mains conditioning unit, there will be little to no reason for fancy mains cables.

Sent from my VKY-L09 using Tapatalk
    Depends on what you call fancy?

I have no mains conditioning, but I do use Kimber Cable mains leads, I heard an improvement using them. I guess you could call them fancy, they do not have screens though.

Gary
    It is easier to seek forgiveness than to ask permission

Rules are meant for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men

I'm Adam.

I was getting a fair degree of mechanical wurring and farting noise at the beginning of digital playback, coming in from the computer / roon server.
    After much messing and trial and error I eliminated the noise by taking the unscreened interconnect cable out between Power and Pre amp and swapping in a screened cable. Result NO noise at all now, and no noticeable difference in sound quality. Now I would expect screened cables to be essential between phono & SUT for example but this was puzzling.
    "lack of passion is fatal"

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

I'm Clive.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Would they though? That's the thing about manufacturers, they don't usually go the extra mile.

There I would beg to differ. I think a lot of makers will go the extra mile. Having been in the industry I can say that some are fully committed to providing a great product and good customer care but sadly not all.
    SOURCE:OPPO UDP-205 BluRay, SkyQ, Technics SL1210M5G/HexMat Eclipse/MN Bearing/Origin Live Gravity One puck/Isonoes with Boots/Jelco TK-850S Tonearm/Hana Umami Blue, PS Audio Stellar Phonostage. I also have an AT-OC9XSH as a spare cartridge.
    AMPLIFIER: Bryston BR-20 Pre/DAC/Streamer & Bryston 4B3 Power Amplifier
    SPEAKERS: Spendor D7 on Iso-Acoustics Gaia III’s
    HEADPHONES: OPPO PM-1 with Atlas Zeno cable, B&W Pi7 S2 and B&W C5 v2.
    CABLES: Analogue: Speaker Atlas Mavros Grun. Interconnect - Atlas Mavros XLR x3, MCRU Silver Tonearm cable
    Digital:Audioquest Carbon Ethernet x 4, Audioquest Carbon digital, English Electric 8Switch, Chord Optichord, Atlas Optical.
    Mains: PS Audio Perfectwave AC-05 x 5, Isol-8 Powerline Extreme with Quantum Science yellow fuse on input cable, Sounds Fantastic 6way Mains Blocks.
    STORAGE: Synology DS216J NAS with 2 x 3Tb WD Red hard-drives. Samsung 500Gb SSD.
    TV LG55B7 OLED

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Clive197 View Post
    There I would beg to differ. I think a lot of makers will go the extra mile. Having been in the industry I can say that some are fully committed to providing a great product and good customer care but sadly not all.
    SOME may be, others certainly aren't.

I'm Ken.

PS Audio don't provide leads with their products, out of the box.
    But they do make/sell mains leads (3 types) for their HiFi products and mains conditioners, these cables are all screened.

I personally don't use screened (even on my PS Audio Pre) and just use ordinary household mains cable with a decent thickness of copper, as I've yet to hear a fancy mains cable make a difference. I must admit to only trying this twice, but I couldn't hear anything change. Still if folks find they work for them I'm not going to knock it.
    We all have our own preferences, whether it be MM/MC, Valve/SS, RCA/Balanced, OB/Ported/sealed, etc etc, we like what we like.

I'm Deleted.

Of the cables I have tried and experimented with I have always preferred those that do not have the shield connected at one end only..
    Account Deleted

I'm Ken.

My Phono stage (Aqvox 2Ci II) is a fully balanced current amplifier.
    The manufacturer recommends an un-shielded twisted pair (for low inductance) to be used between TT/Phono stage.
    In their own leads, they run a separate straight wire in the jacket connected to ground at just the Phono stage end, as a kind of aerial to pick up stray interference. This third wire is not part of the twisted pair.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12