+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY Stereo Stand

I'm Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by brian2957 View Post
    Seriously , I would probably spend a bit of time in there . I was a Diesel mechanic many years ago and we repaired parts rather than replaced them . Sometimes parts had to be manufactured and some engineering was involved . Just needed the right machinery .
    I've done a lot of machine work, we blueprinted engines. Grind the crankshaft to specified stroke and correct 90 degree positioning, (we even had a crankshaft welder, stroked crankshafts anyone?) line bore or hone main bearing saddles in block, bore and power hone cylinders, deck the block parallel to crankshaft center line, bored and bushed connecting rods for floating wrist pins (all same length as well) balanced entire rotating assembly, extensive porting and polishing head work, bored heads for replacement valve guides and valve seats. I was the engine builder there as well. Great time, sadly it just didn't pay well.
    Yamaha YP800, Clearaudio - Performer V2 Ebony MM - Jolida JD9II Phono Preamplifier w/Level 1 Upg - Pioneer PLX-1000 - Audio Technica VM760SLC - Jolida JD9II Phono Preamplifier w/Level 1 Upg - Marantz 125 - Jolida Fusion DAC Transport w/Level 1 Upg - Jolida Fusion Preamplifier w/Level 1 Upg - Jolida Fusion 3502P Power Amplifier - Yamaha NS1000M - Dual SVS SB-2000

I'm Brian.

We live in a throwaway world now Mark . This kind of work isn't carried out much any more . I would have loved to have worked in an engineering shop back in the old days .
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm Mark.

I don't purchase throwaway junk, build most of what I need/want, old school ya know.
    High performance is the only place I know the functions I listed above are still performed, have to be after every bit of performance available to spend that kind of money on an engine.
    Drag racers, tractor and 4WD pullers, a few boat racers, and a very few guys with fancy street cars are the only ones I know willing to spend a lot for small gains.
    We're a dying breed!

Cheers, Mark B
    Yamaha YP800, Clearaudio - Performer V2 Ebony MM - Jolida JD9II Phono Preamplifier w/Level 1 Upg - Pioneer PLX-1000 - Audio Technica VM760SLC - Jolida JD9II Phono Preamplifier w/Level 1 Upg - Marantz 125 - Jolida Fusion DAC Transport w/Level 1 Upg - Jolida Fusion Preamplifier w/Level 1 Upg - Jolida Fusion 3502P Power Amplifier - Yamaha NS1000M - Dual SVS SB-2000

I'm Brian.

Yup , I'm sitting here looking at a Goldring Lenco GL75 which I'm maxing out mechanically . Just love the engineering which has gone into it . Sounds pretty good too
    Regards
    Brian

I'm Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by brian2957 View Post
    Yup , I'm sitting here looking at a Goldring Lenco GL75 which I'm maxing out mechanically . Just love the engineering which has gone into it . Sounds pretty good too
    Yamaha YP-800 here, had to clean the speed controls, lube the motor and replace the mirror that reflects the speed markings, other than that it's been going strong since I purchased it in 1976.

Gotta love the quality of old gear!

I'm Mark.

SSD boot drive failed in my workstation Fri night, took a while to reload and configure it again.
    8 thin coats of Epifanes on bottom sides and edges of shelves, starting to get the softer parts of grain filled in and leveled.
    Pics likely next weekend.

I'm Brian.

Looking forward to them Mark
    Regards
    Brian

I'm Mark.

Found out something new to me today and I am totally impressed!
    Noticed back when looking for 00 and 0000 steel wool local availability, that Lowes lists Scotch-Brite as steel wool.
    Been thinking about that in the back of my mind since, so today I tried a piece of brown Scotch-Brite (comparable to 00 steel wool) under my sanding block.
    Using it under the sanding block kept it flat, achieving way more surface contact.
    Works faster than steel wool and keeps the surface much flatter as well.
    Going to put the 14th coat of varnish on now, pics late today or first thing tomorrow.
    Last edited by FrostEOne; 06-10-2018 at 15:35.

I'm Mark.

Pictures: Finish is still not totally flat yet, but very close.
    Scotch-Brite on sanding block vs hand held steel wool has definitely improved the finish flatness and shine.
    Hopefully a few more times through the process of Scotch-Brite, clean and recoat will get them there.

I'm Grant.

coming up a treat.. well done
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast