+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi everyone, first 'proper' Hi fi

I'm Rob.

Default Hi everyone, first 'proper' Hi fi

Hi everypne, names Rob and I'm getting my nans old Hi fi.

I dont know really anything about them Tbh so hoping someone can shed some light.

It's a philips FCD 465 and I know was from around the mid to late 80's.
    Does anyone know if their that good? I've currently got a 1byone record player, would the philips record player be better? (I'm going to get a new needle before I use it)

I've been getting into vinyls for a while, I'm mainly into 90's hip hop / rap & Motown and have around 40 records, most are new but I've got some originals. I like to listen to them a fair amount & I know the Hi fi isnt the best but will it do the job okay? Hopefully the quality is alright until i can get a better one!

Let me know your thoughts
    Cheers
    Rob

I'm Lawrence.

Does it look like this one? I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I don't think many people on this forum would call it proper HiFi. Have a look round and see what we use, it will give you a better idea of what's out there.

https://goo.gl/images/jt3EUX

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk

I'm Geoff.

Hi Rob. Welcome to AOS.

I think Lawrence is being a little negative there. I say give your nan's old system a whirl, it may surprise you. Philips made decent gear.

Hope you've got suitable speakers to go with it. Anyway, if you have any questions, just ask us.

Enjoy the forum,
    Geoff.

I'm inactive.

I've played records on decks a lot worse than that Phillips' job - a lot worse in fact ....

Doesn't really matter because it will get you thinking about how to improve on what you are hearing
    (although might be worth not playing any brand new vinyl on it until your checked whether the stylus is shagged or not - also make sure the cartridge doesn't drop on the record like a ton of bricks)

I'm Grant.

Default Hi everyone, first 'proper' Hi fi

Used to use a old hitachi deck that I thought the dogs bollocks. It's wasn't a high quality item but it would surprise many even tho it was automatic.
    Welcome Rob
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Rob.

Yeah that's the one, it hasnt been used for a few years so hopefully itll be alright.
    It comes with the original boxy speakers ill take pictures later im picking it up today.
    Yeah i was going to leave the record player part alone until I get a new stylus but ill check it, ive got a couple of old records I can try it out on and see how it sounds! The 1byone players cartridge falls quite nicely considering its not adjustable I'm hoping the philips one will be the same!

But Yeah I'm not looking to keep this for too long, just until I can find a better one/when funds become available.

I'll give you an update later!

Rob

I'm Geoff.

Have fun with it. Keep us posted on how you find it.

I'm Neil.

Welcome to AoS
    Regards Neil

I'm Gary.

Have fun and enjoy the music!
    It is easier to seek forgiveness than to ask permission

Rules are meant for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men

I'm Lawrence.

Didn't mean to sound negative, if it does the job for you that's all that matters, don't take any notice of what people (including me) say. However if you decide you want something a bit better,.you'll get loads of good advice on here. You can get a decent second hand system up and running for about £120-150 with a cd player but if you play records I think £200 is more realistic, although generous souls on here might help a bit on prices. I just moved on my Celestion 5s they would have done the job. I can keep an eye out on eBay for you if you like, where are you based? Gumtree is a good place too, create a saved search within 10 miles or wherever you can get to.

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast