+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hi everyone, first 'proper' Hi fi

I'm Geoff.

Rob,

congratulations on taking a first step on the hifi ladder. Seems very few people today seek out quality music playback over crappy mp3 files.

Unless you have also inherited a big record collection I would not advise you to go down the vinyl route. Yes, vinyl at it's best does sound better than cd's but it comes at a price premium. Given that your funds are limited, I would not be investing in vinyl (or cds for that matter, as the latter format also has a limited life expectancy).

Instead, I would subscribe to Tidal (or similar) and use your funds to get some decent speakers and amplification. A monthly subscription to Tidal costs about the same as one vinyl album, but will give you access to a huge collection of uncompressed music files. You can even download these files to a phone so that you can listen on the move.

A cheap device like a Chromecast Audio (30 quid) can feed into your system and will give you a quality of sound that you may not have heard before, and can probably be used with the system you inherited. When funds are available, I would look at something like this: https://www.richersounds.com/yamaha-...amplifier.html

This is a digital streamer and amp combined. It sounds fantastic, and the Music Cast system and app is great too. You can play music wirelessly from your phone, pc or tablet.

Whatever path you take, good luck!

Geoff

I'm Loz.

Welcome Rob

I paired a similar Sony job with some Celestion Ditton speakers years ago. I thought it sounded pretty slick! As the others say give it a go, you might be surprised what you find. Plenty of good unbiased advice to be had here if you need it. Maybe keep your eyes on the Private Exhibitions section here too if you wanted to look for a speaker upgrade. Have fun.

Loz

I'm Rob.

Good and bad news, good news it works turns on etc, however the tape player doesn't seem to work.
    So the button/function works to go onto tape mode, but when you press play it doesn't turn, you can hear a noise and it engages the bit that spins the tape (don't know what that's called) as it doesnt freely spin but no motor drive. It is the same situation for both tape sections, I will give it a go taking it apart hopefully it's nothing major unless anyone has any suggestions on what it could be?
    I've tested the CD player and im going to try the record player tomorrow but that spins okay.

Cheers, Rob

I'm Geoff.

It's probably a belt that's perished and broken. Old cassette units have various problems, pinch wheels that turn to 'goo', failed belts, dodgy clutches, servo controls that no longer work ......all sorts really.

I'm Rob.

Oh wow okay I didn't realise there was that much too it! Hopefully it's just the belts, weird it's affected them both the same. I'll take it apart and see what I find! I believe most of the FCD series use the same tape system so hopefully I can find spares! I'd love to have the whole thing working, i also want to play the cassettes I have too lol.

I mean I have spotify etc which does the job most the time. I like having vinyls, I don't listen to them all the time, especially the original ones I suppose it's becoming more of a hobby lol!

Rob

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by RobCool View Post
    weird it's affected them both the same

Rob
    Not really. All components on both sections will be the same age and be affected by similar problems.

I'm Rob.

Ah yeah that is true, I found a mix pack of belts on eBay I'm going to give that ago and see if it fixes the issue, everything that I can see looks to be alright, I'll take the cover off later and see if I can find any other problems

I'm Russell.

I had a nice Technics 25w receiver when I was 13, and built a nice, “Mid-Fi”, stereo around it. Nearly 10 years later I had the itch, and got a mid 80’s all Sansui rack that was just awful.

But my 3rd system hit the mark! About age 25 I assembled an Adcom 555 and Adcom preamp to a pair of Vandersteen 2c’s, Denon record player with Ortofon cartridge, and a Sony 608ESD CD player. It rocked! And could provoke emotion with ease! Lasted me 20 years without a change. I gave the system to my daughter and her husband several years back when I started building the system I’ve got now.

Russell

I'm Rob.

Just a quick update, I've changed the belts and thankfully ot works! It all now seems to be working as it should. I've been playing the one tape I have, rewinding it etc and it sounds great! The tape is from 88 too so really happy!

Thats awesome Russell, I hope this lasts me a while so I can save up to get a decent system!

Rob

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12