+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: HF Hearing Loss

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    I think your post highlights that we don't all have 20-20 Khz hearing. I am fortunate in that my hearing is holding up pretty well as I age (better than the rest of me). Having less than perfect hearing does not necessarily reduce our listening pleasure, though it may influence our choice of hardware. Many people are cynical over full range driver speakers since many such drivers have a HF roll off above 15 Khz or even lower. However, if your HF hearing is reduced, does this matter.

I think many people do not have a sense about what a high frequency note sounds like. I am sure that many people would be absolutely shocked as to how high a 10 Khz tone sounds like.

Geoff
    Hence my post (#54):

Barry

I'm James.

@pygmypony
    I downloaded the nch tone generator some years back, and in my setup it was full of similar glitches to those you are reporting. An oscilloscope confirmed what I feared: rubbish software. And no response to my emails from the developer.

No such horrors from an old analogue signal generator.

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Steve.

It's all quite baffling. What Barry says makes perfect sense to me, and I've been aware of harmonics for a long, long time. Goes back to when I used to go on ride-outs with a friend, and when our bikes were running at a certain point in their rev ranges, a third note could be heard. Then if one of us accelerated or braked, the note would disappear.

Why then would manufacturers of full-range speakers not be all over this? Surely they would be aware of this. maybe they think that losing these harmonics is compensated by having the advantages of a single driver, whatever that is. (technical bods, feel free to weigh in here).

My own speakers each have two full-range units, complemented by a tweeter that runs from 10kHz to 25kHz (I'm told) so I should be ok.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm manny.

Don't worry about it . If your above 55 it's completely normal . With age our HF hearing diminshes . I can hear to 14 k cycles and I could swear I'm hearing as I always have . Above 14 k all we have mostly are harmonics and even then most of the upper range of harmonics are lower the 14k cycles . If you can still hear a bright recording sounding bright your ok .

As a matter of fact my wife is 59 and can only hear to 8 k and even then she can hear subtle differences in the sound of my system when changing components

I'm Grant.

dont know how far up and down my full range ones go but its pretty good. i did have a graph once but seem to have lost it for now... supposedly pretty flat from 35 to 15k. certainly sound good.

similar to these i guess... except ive got 2 in each box... https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pair-Tele...QAAOSw~7BamZQl
    Last edited by struth; 27-09-2018 at 17:21.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Steve.

Interesting as it all is, at the end of the day it's all numbers, and I doubt that missing the highest frequencies is a real barrier to our musical enjoyment. Apart from my rather dull sounding Pink Floyd remasters, which I posted about elsewhere, everything sounds fine to me. Even though bats can hear extremely high frequencies, I certainly don't envy them. And definitely not their diet which is mothy in the extreme.

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:

A/V:

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

I'm Dennis.

My right ear now only goes to 5K, due to BTs insistence on my using a headphone which produced up to 131.5dB, this necessary when trying to identify bleeps in a noisy environment of 105dB.

Anyway I bought my Betas with the litigation money.

The brain adapts its software to what the transducers are doing, and the real musical info is centred around 1K, maximum intelligibility vocally and I think musically being commercial speech bandwidth; 300 - 3400Hz. Mostly above is 'sharpness'.

I'm nigel.

Davy Crockett was deaf in his wild front ear
    James T Kirk was also deaf in his final front ear.

These jokes Grade II listed.

Thank you.

I'm Steve.

Three AOS members:

"Isn't it windy?"
    "No, I think it's Thursday."
    "So am I, let's have a cup of tea."

T'other system:

A/V:

I'm Mike.

'Doctor, I seem to be having some difficulty hearing properly' 'Can you describe the symptoms ?' , the doctor asked. 'Homer's the fat bald bloke and Marge has blue hair'. (yeah, I know; rubbish, but it's late !)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast