+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: HF Hearing Loss

I'm Mike.

I wouldn't worry, but just so you know, Hidden Hearing and others do free tests. Your quack will refer you to a hospital test as well. However, all of these tests go to around 8 kZ only (which is pretty high).

Having suddenly lost half the hearing in my right ear as a direct and almost immediate result of my first (and last !!!!!) flu jab, I've had lots of tests. Oddly, even when it was at its worst, it didn't seem to unduly affect my enjoyment of my hifi (cans or speakers). My hearing is, regardless, age related, poor, but nothing yet has impaired my musical enjoyment.

If you are at around the 12.5 kZ (kilohertz; I forget the abbreviation), I'd just thank your lucky stars.

I'm inactive.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnJo View Post
    Borrowed a signal generator to test my system and inadvertently discovered I'm deaf as a post above about 12.5KHz
    ... look on the bright side

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Reed View Post
    I wouldn't worry, but just so you know, Hidden Hearing and others do free tests. Your quack will refer you to a hospital test as well. However, all of these tests go to around 8 kZ only (which is pretty high).

Having suddenly lost half the hearing in my right ear as a direct and almost immediate result of my first (and last !!!!!) flu jab, I've had lots of tests. Oddly, even when it was at its worst, it didn't seem to unduly affect my enjoyment of my hifi (cans or speakers). My hearing is, regardless, age related, poor, but nothing yet has impaired my musical enjoyment.

If you are at around the 12.5 kZ (kilohertz; I forget the abbreviation), I'd just thank your lucky stars.
    Wow, that's a shocking result from the flu jab, not be going for that again then. Glad to hear (sorry) musical enjoyment stays high in spite of failing hearing.

Yes, no matter where we are there are always worse off people.

When listening to the tones at 12KHz they were super high, squeaky and squeely so I don't think I'm missing much worth hearing but thanks for the encouragement Mike.

I'm Martin.

Thing is, I don't feel I'm missing anything, so what *am* I missing?

What sort of sounds are above 12KHz, on recordings or otherwise?
    The answer is: Not a massive amount. But some. It's crap but what can you do, we all go deaf eventually.

Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by mikmas View Post
    Exactly, won't hear any scratchy tweeters for one

I'm Geoff.

The unfortunate 'effects' on hearing attributed to the flu jab may be coincidental and not due to the vaccination. Possibly just caused by something else.

I've had the jab every autumn for about fifteen years and not experienced any untoward effects at all. Neither have I had flu.

I started having it in my fifties, due to being prone to catching every bug about.

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    The answer is: Not a massive amount. But some. It's crap but what can you do, we all go deaf eventually.

Thanks Macca, good chart.

Flutes and clarinets are up there, really, that's surprising. 12KHz didn't sound like any woodwind to me, except maybe when my son had to learn the Eastenders theme tune on the recorder for school. You could charge folks not to hear that.

Yea, it's crap but there's a lot worse (losing your hearing that is, not EE repeatedly on the recorder, that's probably as bad as it gets).

I'm Geoff.

Exactly, won't hear any scratchy tweeters for one
    Yes you will. Upper end hearing loss, unless extreme, has little effect on music enjoyment or perception of sound quality. I hear little above 10kHz, but can tell when tweeters are sounding rough at the top. The whole of the audio band, even that not audible, affects the sound heard.

I'm steve.

Quote Originally Posted by mikmas View Post

That graph looks a bit extreme, I’m 65 and can still hear above 12khz

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Martin.

I doubt the Tannoys will give anything above about 20Khz myself. So it doesn't really matter what's outside the audible band, it isn't coming out of the speakers.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast