+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: HF Hearing Loss

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    In any event, I don't need glasses yet, even for driving
    I've reached the point of needing glasses to find my glasses. And I'm not kidding!

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Me too. Booked it yesterday.
    Was a docs today so took the chance to book it.
    Can't afford another bout of flu really. Lungs are knackered as is. Lol
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm inactive.

Quote Originally Posted by steve-z View Post
    That graph looks a bit extreme, I’m 65 and can still hear above 12khz
    Depends how you read the chart - it doesn't mean that when you are at age X you won't hear a certain high frequency, just that it will be less obvious than when you were younger.
    The chart just indicates a kind of 'roll off' curve.

Also, although I definitely can't hear higher frequencies as well as I used to, my brain does quite a good job of adjusting the frequency balance so to me it isn't as obvious as the chart would suggest

I've done a few online listening tests but they can be really deceptive. Only real test where it has shown up for me was the audiology one at Hospital - mainly because that involves a tester who doses out the different frequency tones at random so you have no idea what you are listening for and when.

I'm Geoff.

Does anyone recall that device that was developed to irritate teenagers. It beamed sounds which were less audible to older persons. It was marketed as a device to discourage "youfs" from loitering!

I'm Geoff.

Does anyone recall that device that was developed to irritate teenagers. It beamed sounds which were less audible to older persons. It was marketed as a device to discourage "youfs" from loitering!
    Often known as a 'mosquito alarm'. Still on the market, but legality debatable.

montesquieu Guest

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mosquito

Love the fact that teenagers got their own back by adopting it as a 'secret' ringtone.

On the original topic the wife tested recently to 18khz. I barely broke 12khz.

I'm Jerry.

I diagnosed myself, being deafer in my left ear for 30 years.

I attribute that to factory work when I was younger.
    Had nothing to do with putting speakers on the floor, lying between them, and blasting them!

I'm Jerry.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry B View Post
    I diagnosed myself, being deafer in my left ear for 30 years.

I attribute that to factory work when I was younger.
    Had nothing to do with putting speakers on the floor, lying between them, and blasting them!
    But, hasn't stopped my music enjoyment.

Bought a pair of ATC SCM19 speakers in March.
    Also got the 40th Anniversary Edition of 'Crime of the Century.'

Throughout, was in a state of bliss.
    Hearing the album presented in a way I'd never heard. The minute details where audible.
    Embarrassingly, even shed a tear.

However, someone mentioned getting your ears cleaned as a system mod.
    I think I'll do that next month!
    Last edited by Jerry B; 21-09-2018 at 06:47.

I'm Mick.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    There are test CD's available that are damn useful (assuming you have a player). I have one, it's handy for checking speakers etc. It can also show you how your hearing is.

There's one here on ebay: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audio-Equ...IAAOSwU3taguX7

It has every type of test you are likely to need.
    Here is a free test CD you can download from Focal.

https://www.focal.com/en/focal-teach...l-toolshttp://

I'm Mike.

I hope that your hearing loss proves to be temporary and reversible.

Geoff
    Thanks for your sentiment, but my hearing is a bit cream-crackered; by age more than anything else. Was referred by doc. for hearing aids over a year ago but haven't yet taken this up. Everybody on the ball games courts can hear me shout and I ignore anybody who can't speak up ! Such is senile citizenship protocol. As long as my music thrills, all is well with the world.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast