+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AC Michell Orbe wow & flutter

I'm Alun.

Default AC Michell Orbe wow & flutter

Hello,

Does anyone what sort of wow and flutter reading I should expect on an older AC motor Michell Orbe with QC psu ?

Thanks

Alun

I'm Paul.

Not measured mine but with the qc having a crystal based frequency generator I would look at the motor or bearing lubrication if you're getting audible problems.

I'm Alun.

I am worried it may be the motor, although i have had it serviced by Michell. The strange thing is its worse with new belts (i have tried two brand new genuine Michell belts) and im getting readings of around .5% using RPM. With the old belt that came with the Orbe it goes down to around to between .15 and .20%. Still not amazing though.

I'm Paul.

I read somewhere that reversing the belt may help as imperfections on the surface of the belt can cause speed irregularities as they enter the pulley on the motor. Seems odd to me as the belts aren't marked in any way.

I'm Alun.

Yeah i heard that too, and have tried it. Seems to have an effect moreso on the old belt. The new belts seem a lot smoother.

I'm Blake.

Michell has a very serious problem with the new belts. They are simply not very good, although they were literally atrocious and unusable a few years ago, at least with my original AC motor and pulley.

I'm a long term Michell owner (about 33 years) with an AC motor as well. The newer belts supposedly fare better with, and may be usable with the DC motor according to someone in the UK that I've had correspondence with who has done very extensive measuring on the older belts and the newer version.

But even a very well worn original version Michell belt is likely to give better results on an AC motor than the newer Michell belts I believe.

I'm recycling through the 4 original versions I have right now hoping that Michell will continue to work on this to source a belt that is closer to the original in performance.

I've tried a few non Michell belts as well and not totally convinced of their quality with the AC motor either.

I'm Alun.

Thanks for the info, thats very interesting. Perhaps my motor is ok after all. Were any of the after market belts better performers than the Michell ones ?

There are a few measurements on RPM iPhone app which now has a database of real life measurements. The Orbe's on that list had a w/f measurement of .14 or .09 which appears to be better average across a range of turntables. My SME 20/2 is .18 for example.

How true is the pulley as it could be off centre. Easy to check but a pain to correct.
    Paul.

I'm Paul.

Have you tried rotating the ball in the main bearing so the the contact area is changed? Logic would suggest that if the ball wears in one place then contact area may increase so changing to a new area should reduce friction.

I'm Alun.

Hi there, yes i have put a new ball bearing in, no difference ☹️

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast