+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WTD: new issue reliable new KT88

I'm Slav.

EH are really good tubes , I've used few much more expensive alternatives and went back to EH in the end , yes there are better tubes but the difference is not worth extra £ unless you go for NOS Gold Lion , KT88-Z by Shuguang are very close but have reliability issues , Psvane is another one which comes to mind.

I'm Simon.

Quote Originally Posted by mac72 View Post
    EH are really good tubes , I've used few much more expensive alternatives and went back to EH in the end , yes there are better tubes but the difference is not worth extra £ unless you go for NOS Gold Lion , KT88-Z by Shuguang are very close but have reliability issues , Psvane is another one which comes to mind.
    Agree with Mac, loved JJ's but when they go, they go alarmingly, Sovteks were outstanding and if not discontinued would have been repeated as necessary. More than happy with the EH's. Gold Lions way too much money and my only experience with the original real ones was a very expensive mistake!

I'm kev.

Quote Originally Posted by Si74 View Post
    Gold Lions way too much money and my only experience with the original real ones was a very expensive mistake!
    How so ? Nothing bettered GEC’s in my Mac 275’s
    <a href=http://s36.photobucket.com/user/lauren1809/media/33A4D3D2-B423-47CD-BC7D-AC331E29C355_zpsj2tyfozt.jpg.html target=_blank><a href=http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e12/lauren1809/33A4D3D2-B423-47CD-BC7D-AC331E29C355_zpsj2tyfozt.jpg target=_blank>http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e1...psj2tyfozt.jpg</a></a>

I'm Simon.

Swapped a NOS Quad of 'lightly' used GECs for a very expensive amp stand with someone I trusted. Won't mention who sold him them but although they sounded brilliant, a loan of a valve tester showed them to be anything bar NOS, lost an arm and a leg selling the pair that tested reasonable and binning the other two. Also had a quad of EAT'S, ridiculously overpriced, unreliable and sounded crap.
    Really wish I had stocked up on the Sovtek KT 88s as they were really nice sounding, reliable valves, bettering my current EH's,o.i.m.o. of course and cheap as chips in the scheme of things.

I'm Ian.

Swapped a NOS Quad of 'lightly' used GECs for a very expensive amp stand with someone I trusted. Won't mention who sold him them but although they sounded brilliant, a loan of a valve tester showed them to be anything bar NOS, lost an arm and a leg selling the pair that tested reasonable and binning the other two.
    another similar story with GEC here

Unless anyone come back and says no dont do it I am going for EH from Watford Valves tomorrow. Monday

I'm Justin.

Swapped a NOS Quad of 'lightly' used GECs for a very expensive amp stand with someone I trusted. Won't mention who sold him them but although they sounded brilliant, a loan of a valve tester showed them to be anything bar NOS, lost an arm and a leg selling the pair that tested reasonable and binning the other two. Also had a quad of EAT'S, ridiculously overpriced, unreliable and sounded crap.
    Really wish I had stocked up on the Sovtek KT 88s as they were really nice sounding, reliable valves, bettering my current EH's,o.i.m.o. of course and cheap as chips in the scheme of things.
    Sovtek KT88s aren't great sonically I found. Average at the very best.

The EAT was a Tesla Vrsovice valve. Sonically it was rated by many as the best sounding KT88 ever made. I agree. It was dreadfully unreliable in amps that pushed them hard though. I had that trouble. The EAT incarnation obviously still has the same filament going pop issue.

Funny how opinions vary.

The Sovtek will take punishment and survive and be reliable.

A good set of GECs should be very good indeed. I say that based on experience of other valves and rectifiers they have made.

My amp at the time was an Air Tight ATM-2.

Don't take the above as an insult. It is just what I found years ago now.

I'm Dan.

I won't touch the reissue Gold Lion. While a nice sounding tube, there are reliability issues, and when they go, they really go. I've had dozens of amps in for repair that were damaged by this tube.
    You could try the Mullard reissue. If cost and reliability are important go with the EH KT90.
    Last edited by Blackdog; 24-09-2018 at 12:16.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12