+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hi to all

I'm Geoff.

Default Hi to all

I'm a long in the tooth music fan who has taken an interest in hifi since I started work in 1975 and started buying hifi magazines.

I have a love hate relationship with turntables as I cannot stand the clicks you inevitably get no matter how hard you try. CDs were a revelation to me, no more clicks! I bought my first CD player from Convent Garden Records, long since gone, where he played a Marantz 63 which I still have up in the loft somewhere, through a pair of Quad Electrostatics. The opening of a Supertramp track with kids in a playground who were actually in the room it sounded like. Bought the CD player right there, £300 I think with 4 CDs of my choice chucked in.

In the late eighties I bought Musical Fidelity Pre 3 and P140 power amp with a pair of Pro Ac Studio 1s which sit opposite me now with the addition of an extra P140 amp.
    I ripped all my CDs to flac on my PC now, backed up twice, and use an Audiolab Q-Dac to play them. AKG K702 headphones complete the list.

Recently I bought a pair of Electrofluidics loudspeakers that had been overloaded. I have sent the 2" full range Jordan speakers away for repair but that was 6 months ago. Hoping someone on here will have a pair to sell.
    Also there may be the chance of some spare monies to upgrade my kit. Chords Cutest looks like my next purchase, but we will see.

Been reading here for a while so now it's time to join in.

Geoff

I'm Martin.

Hi Geoff, welcome to the forum.

Great intro. What is happening with your Jordan drivers? 6 months seems like a long time for a repair. Worth getting them back up and running as they are a rare speaker and quite highly rated (although not heard them myself).
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Geoff.

Hi Martin, thanks for the welcome.
    I sent them to audioloudspeakers.co.uk and when I phoned up over a month ago he said that he was now on his own whereas before there were two of them but that mine were two weeks away from being looked at. I sent them at the end of April. I did get sound out of them for about an hour but one of the little fly leads had come unglued and parted company with it's connection. And yes they were pretty special. Have tried on the interweb to see if I could buy them, which you can but they are now a different size and ohm rating. It was my searching that brought me here.

Geoff

I'm Geoff.

Hello Geoff. Welcome to AOS from another Geoff.

You may get lucky here with the Jordan units. Try putting a 'wanted' listing in the Private Exhibitions section. Somebody may have some.

You'll find plenty going on here, so just join in the chat, everybody is friendly.

Enjoy the forum,
    Geoff.

I'm Geoff.

Hi Geoff. I'm giving the repair company one more week then I think I'll go with your "wanted" suggestion.

Geoff

I'm Bob.

Welcome fellow Fenlander, I am just down the road in March.
    System a mixture of old and new.

Speakers Tannoy Cheviot, Amp Pioneer receiver but looking for something new, Source Xbox One X (For everything) via a Panasonic 65inch 4k HDR TV.

I'm Geoff.

Hi bobvfr, I'm originally from Hackney, East London but have been up here since 2001.

I'm Bob.

Born in Wandsworth, childhood spent in Battersea, many places in between, but now enjoying the flatlands (Don't like the hilly bits).
    System a mixture of old and new.

Speakers Tannoy Cheviot, Amp Pioneer receiver but looking for something new, Source Xbox One X (For everything) via a Panasonic 65inch 4k HDR TV.

I'm Geoff.

Just back from a week in Cornwall travelling between the north and south coasts. Proper hilly there and I must admit, it did my head in.

+ Reply to Thread