+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Replacement stylus or new cartridge?

I'm Simon.

Default Replacement stylus or new cartridge?

Following my post in here at the weekend I've now had a chance to do a proper set-up on my Dual CS505 Mk3 with AT110e cartridge and it's sounding noticably better (the bass is back for a start!) but of course I'm now wondering whether it could sound even better ...

My first inclination and obvious starting place is to replace the stylus but I've had a search around and it seems like no-one has original replacement styli for the 110e any more (which I guess isn't that surprising). Which replacement brands can I trust and which are cheap and nasty? Or at the price I'll pay for a decent replacement stylus is there a replacement cartridge I should consider which is as good value for money today as the 110e was in its day (I paid £21 for mine!) and which will pair well with the CS505?

Many thanks!
    System 1: Marantz CD6000OSE, Beresford TC-7520, Marantz PM6010OSE, QED QNect II interconnect, Dual CS505 Mk3 turntable with Audiotechnica AT110E cartridge, Denon DRM-700A cassette deck, biwired B&W 685 S2 speakers on sand-filled Atacama SE24 supports.
    System 2: Marantz M-CR610, JPW Gold Monitors, Chord C-Screen speaker cables, NAS drive.
    System 3 (portable): Cayin N3
    My website: Foxysounds website
    My music: Foxysounds music

I'm Geoff.

There is a good quality Jico replacement stylus for the AT-110 available on ebay from Germany: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nadel-ATN...cAAOSwdoVZe5ur

I'm Simon.

Thanks Geoff - I've ordered one :-)
    System 1: Marantz CD6000OSE, Beresford TC-7520, Marantz PM6010OSE, QED QNect II interconnect, Dual CS505 Mk3 turntable with Audiotechnica AT110E cartridge, Denon DRM-700A cassette deck, biwired B&W 685 S2 speakers on sand-filled Atacama SE24 supports.
    System 2: Marantz M-CR610, JPW Gold Monitors, Chord C-Screen speaker cables, NAS drive.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by foxysounds View Post
    Thanks Geoff - I've ordered one :-)
    'we aim to please'

Actually, do let us know how you get on with this. Jico are nicely made and in some cases maybe better than the original.

I'm Jon.

I've only just read your original post, Simon, but, should the need ever arise, I have original, unused ATN110E (.4 x .7; bonded) and ATN115E (.3 X .7; nude) styli in my 'spares' box along with some AT110E cartridge bodies.

I'd also be interested to know your thoughts on the JICO replacement stylus.

BW

Jon

I'm Simon.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Actually, do let us know how you get on with this. Jico are nicely made and in some cases maybe better than the original.
    Quote Originally Posted by prsjnb View Post
    I'd also be interested to know your thoughts on the JICO replacement stylus.
    I'll be happy to post my thoughts when it arrives. Unfortunately I'll only have a rather old stylus to compare it with so I'm not sure how useful it will be - especially as I haven't used the deck in a few years either :-)

I'm Simon.

Well, the stylus arrived yesterday which was very quick since it came from Germany. I've only had a chance to listen for about half an hour so far and in somewhat compromised conditions - I'm having other problems with my main system at the moment and my second system doesn't have a phono stage so I had to take a very long (low quality) interconnect from the tape out of the amp in my main system to an input of my second system. Despite all that, I liked it! It sounds every bit as engaging, detailed and dynamic as I remembered. I'm very pleased. Thank you Geoff for the recommendation.

Simon.

+ Reply to Thread