+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Greetings one and all

I'm Paul.

Default Greetings one and all

Been a browser of this forum for a while but having recently met one of your good selves I thought I'd register.

My musical tastes are fairly eclectic ranging from progressive rock to classical to folk. Started properly collecting music in my teens, the uni record library was a lifesaver. However the oldest piece of vinyl I have is from 1958 when I was the tender age of 2. Most of the vinyl collection dates back 30 to 40 years though apart from some remasters and some new material from old artists that are fortunately still with us. Fell into the digital trap due to the poor quality of many pressings around the time the CDs burgeoned onto the scene. Helped by the fact that the first cd players were assembled on the surface mount machines that my employers at the time supplied to Philips and my first player, CD-303, was obtained at half price. Thus a significant CD collection now ripped to .flac and stored on various NAS drives.

More recently got back into vinyl and my turntable which had been gathering dust on the top of the stack, as more than one forum member has commented upon, was pressed back into use.

Listening hardware is a mix of new and old as you can imagine.

Gyrodec, ac motor, Orbe upgrades.
    ADC LMF-1
    Nagaoka MP-50 with MP-500 stylus
    Arcam rPhono preamplifier
    NAD C350 main amplifier
    NAD C 545 BEE CD player
    Arcam rPlay streamer
    Cambridge Audio CXN v2 streamer
    Celestion Ditton 44 speakers
    Mission 70 speakers
    Yamaha KX-580 cassette deck
    Beyerdynamic T51i headphones
    Beyerdynamic T1 (second gen) headphones
    Little Dot 1+ headphone amplifier
    Little Dot Mk 2 headphone amplifier
    Beyerdynamic A20 headphone amplifier
    FiiO x5iii portable digital player
    Arcam irDac 2 DAC for sorting out all the digital stuff

Better stop there as people will think I'm a hardware junkie.
    Last edited by wumpling; 18-09-2018 at 18:55.

I'm Grant.

Welcome to the site Paul. Glad you eventually joined. Lots of interesting threads here
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm jamie.

Hi Paul,welcome to AOS,and very nice to meet you last Saturday
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Martin.

Hi Paul, welcome to the forum.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Paul.

Default Thanks

Just hoping nothing tempts me to spend too much money on this hobby/lifestyle/addiction. Whatever it is.

I'm Martin.

It's a little from all three columns I think.

Buy used kit at a sane price, you can always sell it on for the same or a little less. Costs next to nothing, you just have a bit of cash tied up for a while, that's all.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Geoff.

Hello Paul. Welcome to AOS.

I'm sure it's been done before, but I've never seen a Gyrodec with an LMF-1, It's an unusual combo.

Tell us what future plans you may have for your Hi-Fi and feel free to join in the chat, there's plenty going on.

Enjoy the forum,
    Geoff.

I'm Paul.

Hi Geoff,

LMF1 and Gyrodec were mentioned as a combination on tnt-audio so I cannot claim to be the first. Only time I've ever seen the combination mentioned but physically it doesn't look too bad at all. Unfortunately there are not too many current comparisons between the thin black stick and anything more up to date so any replacement would be a plunge into the dark.

I'm Geoff.

It should be a workable combination as long as higher compliance cartridges are used. I'd be inclined to maybe experiment with a little added mass at the headshell. It can't hurt and may reinforce the bass.

I'm Paul.

It's had the same MP50, now with MP500 stylus, hanging off it for nearly 40 years so I guess it must be doing something right. Pondering an Audiomods arm atm though.

+ Reply to Thread