+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Wanted: Balanced Mains Unit

I'm mark.

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post

Exactly what the benefits of a balanced supply are supposed to be, I'm not quite sure. If you have mains transformers that buzz I don't think a balanced supply is the answer.
    My mono blocks have 700VA transformer in each and used to hum across the room, using an airlink balanced transformer has stopped the hum. I don't know why or how, and a poll of one is pretty worthless, but its worked for me.

I need to A/B more to make comment on SQ, but it certainly made the sound different.

I've another 7 transformers in my pre/dac/phono, isolating the effects may take a while

I'm Roy.

Never had any hum from any of my Musical Fidelity equipment but my CBS2000 Airlink Conditioning Balanced Power Supply certainly made a big improvement on dynamics and sound quality, they are a great piece of kit and fantastic value for the money
    Last edited by axis; 17-10-2018 at 19:58.

I'm Nige.

Hi Gazjam,

I read your post about ‘hard wiring’ in one of these but the photos were not there anymore - any chance if I drop you my email address you could send me some to complement the post.

Thanks.

Nige.

I'm Gary.

Hi Nige,
    yeah, the photos were in Photobucket, which changed its terms and a lot of folks lost pictures.
    Have them all backed up, if you give me your email I’ll see what I can do.

gaz.

Quote Originally Posted by nigeh View Post
    Hi Gazjam,

I read your post about ‘hard wiring’ in one of these but the photos were not there anymore - any chance if I drop you my email address you could send me some to complement the post.

Thanks.

Nige.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234