+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rega P6 getting hum

I'm Hampus.

A long-shot but....
    Do you have a Sky-Q box or power-over-ethernet plugs (if you dont know what they are you probably dont!)?

Someone over at pfm (I think) had issues when they connected their Sky-Q box to the mains as it's designed to to use the mains as a network of some sort, no way to switch that off in recent firmware's.

If you do just try switching the box off and trying.

On a sidenote my understanding is that MC is potentially *more* likely to pick up noise and hum due to it's lower output and the engine being mounted straight on the cantilever.

I'm Karl.

hi mate had a exact-ly the same issue with mine and I found as soon as I upgraded the rega cartridge for a soundsmith one the problem stopped, so my guess is that the exact is not very well shielded and picks up to noise form the motor when nearer the spindle. like you say only when at volume, but really annoying once you know its there.
    CTC Classic 301 , SPH bearing and Hanze Hifi HAT CPS-2 all analogue power supply / Tenuto Mk2 mat / custom Panzerholz and Kewasinga articulating plinth / Track audio isolation feet / Reed tonearm / Audio Technica ART 9 / 2 box BigBottle mk3 phonostage with Clarity cap CMR and NOS Telefunkens valves / Croft 25R preamp with upgraded 12BH7A line stage and NOS 1956 RCA valves / Croft 7R monoblocks with NOS 56 RCA valves/ Dynaudio Contour 30i speakers / Spotfire interconnects and speaker cables / Merlin Scorpion mains block / Rhodium mains cables / Marantz CD DAC /

I'm Svend.

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post

Possibly the only satisfactory solution is a different and/or better cartridge.
    Perhaps a friendly request here for a loaner cart would have someone offer up one of their spares for a quick test. Would settle the question before good money is dropped on this. I'd do it if I lived closer . Or perhaps your dealer would help you out?

I'm Bruce.

Thanks again everyone.

I do not have a SKY box, nor any mains network adaptor but I have killed all the power in my house except the TT and AMP, still the same.

I did get a SHURE M55E cart from ebay with a N44-3 stylus and tried that last night, still some hum but not as bad. Might go for the Jico stylus and keep that.

The dealer has now tried with his TT and he does get a hum but not as bad, he also tried with the Ania and says that there is no hum at all.

He has offered to send a different cart, not sure if he means another exact or a different model, although hlinden says that the MC could be worse.

Will update you.

cheers

I'm Scott.

Hi, I own the Rega RP6 with the exact Cartridge. I’ve had hum before but that was down to the valve phono I was using at the time. Never experienced any hum when arm is nearing centre.
    I’ve always found the exact a good little MM cart but am now ready to move on to MC.
    Hope you find the problem very annoying these things to locate and sort out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm Karl.

Quote Originally Posted by bonus View Post
    Thanks again everyone.

I do not have a SKY box, nor any mains network adaptor but I have killed all the power in my house except the TT and AMP, still the same.

I did get a SHURE M55E cart from ebay with a N44-3 stylus and tried that last night, still some hum but not as bad. Might go for the Jico stylus and keep that.

The dealer has now tried with his TT and he does get a hum but not as bad, he also tried with the Ania and says that there is no hum at all.

He has offered to send a different cart, not sure if he means another exact or a different model, although hlinden says that the MC could be worse.

Will update you.

cheers
    Theres lots of info available online regarding this issue as its very common. I think many people said going MC solved the issue too although id changed tables before i got to try my new MC cart. So maybe thats a possibility for you if the dealer is offering another cart??

The soundsmith i had was sheilded on all six sides and was completely silent, so maybe ask the dealers advice on something that has the same so your not going round in circles.

Fingers crossed for you mate as i know its frustrating.

CTC Classic 301 , SPH bearing and Hanze Hifi HAT CPS-2 all analogue power supply / Tenuto Mk2 mat / custom Panzerholz and Kewasinga articulating plinth / Track audio isolation feet / Reed tonearm / Audio Technica ART 9 / 2 box BigBottle mk3 phonostage with Clarity cap CMR and NOS Telefunkens valves / Croft 25R preamp with upgraded 12BH7A line stage and NOS 1956 RCA valves / Croft 7R monoblocks with NOS 56 RCA valves/ Dynaudio Contour 30i speakers / Spotfire interconnects and speaker cables / Merlin Scorpion mains block / Rhodium mains cables / Marantz CD DAC /

I'm Karl.

Quote Originally Posted by vegman1973 View Post
    Hi, I own the Rega RP6 with the exact Cartridge. I’ve had hum before but that was down to the valve phono I was using at the time. Never experienced any hum when arm is nearing centre.
    I’ve always found the exact a good little MM cart but am now ready to move on to MC.
    Hope you find the problem very annoying these things to locate and sort out.

Hi buddy maybe you can do a quick test to see if you get the same issue??

Crank the volume up to 11-12oclock then hover the arm and cart over the subplatter/motor spindle to see if you get the same??

Might be useful to see if all Exacts do it or it was an older batch and had now been rectified by rega??

I actually like the exact too

I'm Scott.

Hi mate,

Just done a quick test now of putting arm right across centre of record then turning amp up to 12 o clock. There is some hum but nothing out of the way tbh. 12 o clock for volume on my valve amp shakes the walls so it’s not a level I would listen to. And if I did hum wouldn’t be an issue it would be the neighbours hammering my door down lol
    There is some RFI shielding you can buy maybe try that if it causing you a lot of concern. Or if it’s new ask for the exact Cartridge to be changed to MC?
    Not really sure what your options are mate sorry

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by bonus View Post
    I recently bought a P6 with Exact MM cart and Elex-R amp.

I am really happy with it and the sound is great.

However... a couple of weeks ago, I was moving the arm over with the volume a little higher and noticed a hum. After playing around for a bit, the hum is coming from the motor and when the arm gets nearer the spindle the hum starts to be audible between tracks where the volume is a bit high. I would be lying if I said I could hear it on normal play but I now know it is there and didn't expect it.
    I searched on the web and there are a few remarks about this but not much really to go on. There is no earth from the P6 to the amp, something I have found out that Rega do not bother with. My old SL-BD20 was quiet as a church mouse and I am a bit disappointed that I am getting hum from the P6.

I have gone back to the dealer and waiting for them to comment on whether the shop one did the same. They said that they had never heard of this before.

I have moved the NEO PSU as far as the lead will allow, about 1.5m away but it makes no difference.

Is this a trait of Rega decks or do I have a rogue specimen?

Any comments would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    Bruce
    Many turntables produce some audible 'hum' when the arm cartridge is moved near the motor. The hum from a Rega should be inaudible at normal to high volume levels but will be audible at very high volume levels and is therefore not a problem, as it is way below record surface noise.

There is an 'earth' connection between arm and amp provided by the right channel screen of the arm cable. This is a very practical and trouble free arrangement and not a problem unless you read forum myths.

If you purchased this from a Rega stockist, they should put your mind at ease without waiting days for a reply.

I'm Russell.

I had the exact same problem with my Pro-Ject table. I attempted to shield the motor by grounding a lead sheet over it, a small hole for the pulley to stick through, made no difference. The wall pack transformer they fed it 16volts was not grounded, and plugging it into a different circuit didn’t help. The fix was to sell it and buy a better ‘table, one that doesn’t have the motor under the platter.

As you suspect, I never really heard any hum while a record was playing, but just knowing it was there bothered me. So $2500 later, problem solved!

Russell

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast