+ Reply to Thread

Thread: newbie: Installing my very first speakears

I'm Nuno.

Question newbie: Installing my very first speakears

Hello all,

Now that I finally managed to get a pair of speakers working as I reported here, I miss some key points to install them on the right place.

Since the cable that came with the speakers is fairly short, I would need to replace it. Right now I've placed the speakers on the only spot that I can acommodate comfortably the whole set.
    As you can see, this is far from the best approach to get the immersive sound I'm looking for.

The speakers are Denton 2, with 6 Ohm of impedance, so based on this chart I'm considering to get some 16 gauge audio cable (so I can get a max of 40 ft of cable for each speaker).

I took some measurements of the room and knowing that there's no right answer for this, I would like to know what would be your opinion on the best place to locate the speakers.

Please consider that:
    - The ceiling is vaulted, and the floor has a carpet.
    - On the photos, the bed is vertical and is on the other end.
    - The photos are from before I moved in, so please ignore the dust
    - the speakers are on the place you can see the head of the bed on the picture.
    - each blue square represent 0.5 meters (aprox 19.68 inches or 1 foot 7 11⁄16 inches)

So if you're willing to give me a hint, address with the coordinates in the answer
    What do you think on my pick for the cable section (16 Gauge)?

Thank you

I'm Gary.

Great diagram and pictures.

You need to decide and indicate where your listening position will be.

In my opinion speaker cable should be as short as possible, choosing speaker cable on SWG is not the best idea.

Gary
    It is easier to seek forgiveness than to ask permission

Rules are meant for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men

I'm Mick.

Hi I as Gary said where are you going to sit to listen this should control where you place the speakers.
    Symmetry is worth considering also moviing the speaker closer or away from the wall adjusts the tonality of the sound.
    Speaker position is set for personal taste, type of music / room shape play a part.
    A question to ask is: Do you set your room around listening OR Do you set your listening around your room?
    Looking at you plan i might go for speakers in M and have a settee somewhere between G and J facing them.
    Last edited by Mixc; 17-09-2018 at 08:32.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Stryder5 View Post
    Great diagram and pictures.

You need to decide and indicate where your listening position will be.

In my opinion speaker cable should be as short as possible, choosing speaker cable on SWG is not the best idea.

Gary
    Agree with all of the above.

Regarding speaker cables - a good 'rule of thumb' is that the loop resistance of the cable ought to be no more than 5% of the nominal speaker impedance, so say 0.5 Ohm. Dependant on the length of the cable, this will determine the minimum gauge (or CSA) of the cable.

If you choose to use 16 AWG cable, the above criterion will allow cable lengths of up to 20m.
    Barry

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by Mixc View Post
    Hi I as Gary said where are you going to sit to listen this should control where you place the speakers.
    Symmetry is worth considering also moviing the speaker closer or away from the wall adjusts the tonality of the sound.
    Speaker position is set for personal taste, type of music / room shape play a part.
    A question to ask is: Do you set your room around listening OR Do you set your listening around your room?
    Looking at you plan i might go for speakers in M and have a settee somewhere between G and J facing them.
    This looks good, or move items in N, insert desk, amp on top or shelf underneath with speakers either side. Seating position as above.

Gary
    It is easier to seek forgiveness than to ask permission

Rules are meant for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men

I'm Simon.

I'd put the speakers along N, basically taking the place of the drawers and wardrobe. Problem then is finding a place for those and also the bed (maybe put the bed by the window?). If you do end up trying the speakers along the N wall, make sure they are out into the room a little and personally I'd try sitting near field, say around 5 feet from the speakers.

As for speaker cable, just grab some Van Damme Studio Blue 2.5mm, it's great cable and can be had already terminated with bananas/spades for cheap. There are usually some 2nd hand on ebay too.

I'm Ian.

Factor in the need to get the top of the speakers just above, inch or two, above your ear height when listening. you might find stands on the bay cheaply or be able to use a cupboard or something from Ikea. A web search for diy speaker stands might give some idea.

T

I'm Ian.

I agree that Van Damme is a good cable but its £3/m which means £75 for 80' 25m !

Personally I think the cost is too high. If it were a couple of meters yes but in this case I think a much cheaper solution is needed

If it were me I would decide on position and measure the lengh needed carefully. I wouldnt even worry if the cables each side was different lenghs (I will get shot for saying that). work out how much is needed then search the bay for 2.5mm speaker cable. There is some gold coloured stuff 30m for £12 give or take.

The only other thing to check is that the same terminals are connected on each channel. that is to say speaker to amp on the left channel and speaker to amp on the right channel mimic each other. so for example red+ goes to red+ black- goes to black- It helps if the cables have marks on them so you can tell the difference. If its not easy to tell the difference wrapping some tape round one side at each end helps for later.

+ Reply to Thread