+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Valve questions and getter stuff

I'm AndyElectroNumpty.

Default Valve questions and getter stuff

Hi all

Just spent a very pleasant afternoon listening to various albums with the Firebottle monos and trying out the Telefunken valves which Bigman sent with them and it got me thinking. The monos use pc88 valves which looking at t'internet seem to be amongst the more affordable when it comes to valve rolling - good planning Mr Firebottle! especially when you only need 2 of them for the pair.

So looking at valves what do the effects of different types of getter do? Some are long , halo etc, so what effect does this have on them, especially with the same type ( eg PC88, EL84 etc) and same make. For example I have a set of Mullard PC88s but have seen another set advertised as having gold pins and halo getters, I get the gold pin bit, extra conductivity , better connection and stuf but what about the getter? How will this affect the sound in the amp?

Or is this one of the great valve intangible mysteries? can any more experienced AOSers enlighten me?

Also if valves are not used for a while do they need time to bed in again?

BTW for those interested in the Monos the Mullards sound very clear and have a great mid range with an extended bass providing a real crunch and attack to rock guitar based tracks. The Telefunkens seem to have a tad more detail and are more "precise" for want of a better word, but maybe at the expense of a touch of the bass extension. But all are very enjoyable and this is 1st impressions, I'll have to listen to them a bit more.

Cheers Andy

Bigman80 Guest

Hi Andy,

Glad you are enjoying the Monos, good aren't they!!

Valve types vary massively, long plate, blackplate, ribbed, smooth etc

Then there are all the Getter shapes and types.

Gold pins on PC88 valves are likely to have been done recently as I don't believe any Mullard PC88 valves would have been gold plated at the time. Originally, "P" valves were for TVs hence the cheap ones you're finding now.

The good side is they are unlikely to be "fake" as most fakers go for more common valve types like ECC83 etc.

How each variable on each valve affects the sound, that's trickier. When I did my searching, long plate were desirable, blackplate more so. The Getter? No clue.

Sent from my VKY-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm AndyElectroNumpty.

Thanks Oliver, they are great mate, really please to have them. Being new to valves it looks like a minefield , lucky I only need 2 for a change of sound.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by smangus View Post
    Thanks Oliver, they are great mate, really please to have them. Being new to valves it looks like a minefield , lucky I only need 2 for a change of sound.
    What I did was pick up a few cheap as chips versions and see what I thought. The most two valves cost me was £17 and that was for the Telefunkens.

RCA, VALVO, PHILLIPS all worth a try.

You have Mullards and Telefunken so I'd start with different plate types. Just be aware that anything you buy is unlikely to be easy to shift on as the Valves are uncommon.

Sent from my VKY-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm AndyElectroNumpty.

Cheers , good advice I'm not too worried re cost etc as they are (relatively) cheap for valves and i'll probably only get a couple of pairs , famous last words etc lol.

Anyway I pulled the trigger on the gold Mullards, £15 for 2 is ok.

I see you're breeding power amps now,

I'm James.

Getter plates have no effect on sound directly at all, except if they're exhausted when the valve can run away, but that's a bit extreme...

What they can do is introduce resonances into the valve structure and that could plausibly affect euphony, better types have double getter plate supports for example.

Another reason for getter excitement amongst the valve roller geeks is that they can signify different production variants and may be associated with eg. Different internal construction types, or different anode metallurgy and these can all have a significant effect.

Empirical study has proved that getter differences can be minimised with local application of alcohol (not topical though, internal)

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm AndyElectroNumpty.

Thanks James that's useful, not at the valve geeky end yet but I'm up for researching the effx of internal alcohol application though

I'm Gary.

Great question, always wondered about this.

Gary
    It is easier to seek forgiveness than to ask permission

Rules are meant for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men

+ Reply to Thread