+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Love Over Gold

I'm Martin.

On every coffee table in the 80s with Sade and Huey Lewis

I had a brief thing when I thought the double live album was ok but I couldnt really listen to them now.

If I did like anything it comes under guilty pleasures

I'm Steve.

I reckon in the eighties there was a bunch of people who had a decent hi fi because they could afford it and it could impress their friends. Probably slavishly followed Hi fi Answers' recommendations slavishly, but the only music they owned was Diamond Life, Love Over Gold, Lexicon of Love and DSOTM. Oh and Bat Out Of Hell for when they felt like rockin'.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Martin.

Don't forget U2 'The Joshua Tree'

Basically all the albums that Britannia Music used to advertise.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Steve.

I bought 'The Joshua Tree' because I heard 'Bullet The blue Sky' on the radio. Still the only U2 song I like. Played the album once. Tried to sell it at a car boot a few years later, but couldn't give it away, and this was at Clitheroe for Chrissakes!

Britannia music - ha, forgot about them bastards. I was a member, and my collection is full of unplayed "record of the month" piles of crap - Phil Colons, The Christians etc, all there because I was too lazy to send them back before the deadline.

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:

A/V:

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

I'm Martin.

It's no coincidence that when you go in second hand shops the racks are full of the Britannia Music albums - Boston first album. The Sound Of Bread. Jean Michel Jarre. Chris Rea. Millions of them sold to people who didn't even want them to begin with.

I remember when they stopped doing vinyl and started sending the cassette version instead. I called a halt to it after that. The cassettes were no cheaper than the vinyl, which was taking the piss, frankly. Last vinyl I got off them was Bob Marley 'Exodus'.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Steve.

When they sent me "Hello I Must Be Going", I took it as a sign.

T'other system:

A/V:

I'm Steve.

Were "The Brits" music awards originally something to do with them? The catalogue was largely comprised of "award winners".

T'other system:

A/V:

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    Were "The Brits" music awards originally something to do with them? The catalogue was largely comprised of "award winners".
    This is what Wikipedia has to say on the matter https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Britannia_Music_Club
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    I reckon in the eighties there was a bunch of people who had a decent hi fi because they could afford it and it could impress their friends. Probably slavishly followed Hi fi Answers' recommendations slavishly, but the only music they owned was Diamond Life, Love Over Gold, Lexicon of Love and DSOTM. Oh and Bat Out Of Hell for when they felt like rockin'.
    Yeah I had a stage that I can only descibe as being confused now. I had the equipment and my selection of music was a few albums like Diamond Life. It was mostly about the equipment and there is no denying that.

There was very little of the real me in that collection but maybe I just didnt know who the real me was. It was like that scene in American Psycho and I looked like a pretend yuppie with no real soul and no real way to express myself.

Then again I wasnt the only one and it was the 80s

I'm Steve.

Yes don't be so hard on yourself Martin - I confess that those records I listed, I own all of those, with the exception of 'Bat Out Of Hell' (even then I had standards). So the people I described included me, the only difference being that my hifi was comparatively crap. Well not really, it was a Mission turntable, Cyrus one amp and some big AR speakers. But I did aspire to some Linn/Naim. And I eventually bought an LP12 out of the classifieds in the back of Hi Fi Answers.

T'other system:

A/V:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast