+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Quick question about turntable setup

I'm Simon.

Default Quick question about turntable setup

I've just repaired my beloved Dual CS505 Mk3 which I bought new 30 years ago. I had great expectations for being able to hear it for the first time in at least 5 years but unfortunately it sounds ... disappointing :-( There's a fair bit of detail there but a distinct lack of bass.

I'm using an Audio Technica AT110E cartridge which were very highly rated at the time I bought the deck and the stylus has only been replaced once and I dread to think how long ago that was so it could probably do with a new stylus but my question is even more fundamental: I bought the deck at a time before the World Wide Web existed and setting up a record deck was a black art known to but a few so I let the sales guy in the shop set it up for me and trusted him to get it right. The bottom edge of the cartridge has never been parallel to the surface of the record - the outside edge of the cartridge being very slightly lower than the inside. Is that normal? It seems to me that maybe it isn't and it might not be a good thing!

Thanks,

Simon.
    System 1: Marantz CD6000OSE, Beresford TC-7520, Marantz PM6010OSE, QED QNect II interconnect, Dual CS505 Mk3 turntable with Audiotechnica AT110E cartridge, Denon DRM-700A cassette deck, biwired B&W 685 S2 speakers on sand-filled Atacama SE24 supports.
    System 2: Marantz M-CR610, JPW Gold Monitors, Chord C-Screen speaker cables, NAS drive.
    System 3 (portable): Cayin N3
    My website: Foxysounds website
    My music: Foxysounds music

I'm Geoff.

Tha's not right. The cartridge should not be canted to one side.

I'm Simon.

Thanks Geoff - Next weekend's project will be to set it up properly then. I expect YouTube will have a video of someone setting up my exact turntable with my exact cartridge :-) I repaired it myself after watching someone make the same repair on YouTube :-)
    System 1: Marantz CD6000OSE, Beresford TC-7520, Marantz PM6010OSE, QED QNect II interconnect, Dual CS505 Mk3 turntable with Audiotechnica AT110E cartridge, Denon DRM-700A cassette deck, biwired B&W 685 S2 speakers on sand-filled Atacama SE24 supports.
    System 2: Marantz M-CR610, JPW Gold Monitors, Chord C-Screen speaker cables, NAS drive.
    System 3 (portable): Cayin N3
    My website: Foxysounds website
    My music: Foxysounds music

I'm Peter.

Obviously this is not right...there is a useful u tube process explaining how to do a service on your deck and how to release the head from the arm etc. worth a look

www.gbaudio.co.uk/data/cs505.htm

I'm John.

When you feel you have got the You tube tutorials addressed, it will be worth while trying a Downloaded Print of a Cartridge Protractor, with a geometry of your choosing.
    There are differing versions, so a little research and advice may be required.

+ Reply to Thread