+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Garrard plinth: Shindo vs Artisan Fidelity

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by CliveG View Post
    Could it because the tonearm cable on SME arms has a horizontal exit compared to vertical on most arms? This would require a different cable entry arrangement on the plinth.
    Except he offers one of the arm boards as SME cut, others blank which they won't cut, buyer must. I really don't know. They told me it wasn't suitable for an SME5 tonearm.
    Regards Neil

I'm Nari.

I have had lots of plinths for the 301 and 401 over the years from so many materials slate, granite ply hard woods and so on. If I were budget restrained I would try and get hold of the Bastin Plinth and have it finished myself as its a superb sounding plinth and the fact he isolates the motor is superb. If I had more to spend than the best I have heard is the RJC custworth plinth without and doubt. I only speak after owning and living with so many plinths. I have not heard a Das plinth so can't speak on that particular plinth. I owned a RJC plinth previously and stupidly sold it, I was offered one yesterday and went to see it am tempted to month my shindo 301 in it.
    Most important and used Walker Black Diamond Etsuro Gold, Micro Seiki 8000mk2 Kondo special V12 Tiger Eye, Fidelity Research FR 66 Shindo spu, EMT 927, sme 312 aluminium. Fidelity research fr66, Sme 3012 mk1, Sme V, Ikeda 407 IT Sme Model 30/2/Dynavector 507 Kodo Beat Turntable Airtangent 10B modified Fidelity fr66s Etsuro Cartridge . Kondo Gakuoh Mk1 powers G70 Pre,Audio Tekne TFA-8695PCS pre Audio Tekne TEA 8695 Phono. Lfd Battery Phono Stage heavily custom rebuilt by Dr Richard Bews, Tharx Phono Stage. Lfd Master Dual Biamp power amp, Lfd Anniversary master preamp. Shindo Latour Field Coil. Rockport Cygnus Biamped, Voigt Domestic Corner Horns/ Feastex Fildcoils. LFD Custom silver Ribbons. LFD Diamond Vipor Mk2 interconnects, Lfd Golden Cobra interconnect. Koetsu blue lace mono special order, Koetsu burma jade mono special order.

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Vrajbasi View Post
    I have had lots of plinths for the 301 and 401 over the years from so many materials slate, granite ply hard woods and so on. If I were budget restrained I would try and get hold of the Bastin Plinth and have it finished myself as its a superb sounding plinth and the fact he isolates the motor is superb. If I had more to spend than the best I have heard is the RJC custworth plinth without and doubt. I only speak after owning and living with so many plinths. I have not heard a Das plinth so can't speak on that particular plinth. I owned a RJC plinth previously and stupidly sold it, I was offered one yesterday and went to see it am tempted to month my shindo 301 in it.
    I think the price of the RJC plinth is obscene, even if I could afford one I would not buy one. Martin Bastin being honest no web site, not easy to get hold of puts me off. I have no doubt based on reputation his plinths are good, but I like to see what I am going to get, not some mystery item, and see the price options. Also the number of horror stories on here regarding similar operations, sorry not taking the risk.

I would just like to try a different plinth to see what its like, but I am not going to go crazy money over it.

If someone has a nice plinth they are thinking of moving on, for a 401 and will suit a 9 inch SME 5 pm me and lets talk.
    Regards Neil

I'm Nari.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Supreme D L View Post
    I think the price of the RJC plinth is obscene, even if I could afford one I would not buy one. Martin Bastin being honest no web site, not easy to get hold of puts me off. I have no doubt based on reputation his plinths are good, but I like to see what I am going to get, not some mystery item, and see the price options. Also the number of horror stories on here regarding similar operations, sorry not taking the risk.

I would just like to try a different plinth to see what its like, but I am not going to go crazy money over it.

If someone has a nice plinth they are thinking of moving on, for a 401 and will suit a 9 inch SME 5 pm me and lets talk.
    I understand your point my comments are only based on performance, I find alot of plinths for the garrards dont it it any justice and yes martin bastin has no website but is a true honest gentleman I have had two plinths from him and his service is excellent even though it takes a while. The RJC plinth is very expensive but having spent serious dosh over the years on this hobby to my eyes and ears is a true audio bargain it takes him months to hand craft a plinth his attention to detail can be only described as first class and puts all others including artisan to shame. He uses extensive damping of resin and various other materials to damp things and the motor like the bastin is fully isolated but thats things further as the motor has its own chamber so to speak and is mounted on a huge stainless steel structure this alone would cost a fortune to machine then the arm is totally isolated again in its own chamber. All this is costly to impliment.

The fit and finish compares to what you would find in a rolls royce and the best boats etc. And as far as sound goes the I remember my audio grail 301 and RJC plinth putting my shindo 301 to shame so for what you get its a bargain. I know its hard with hifi these days as the prices are for some products crazy with turntables at over £100000 and the likes but at least there are a few manufactures who offer a few great buys where they are not applying the normal multiples of 6 to 10 times to achieve a retail price.
    Last edited by Vrajbasi; 22-10-2018 at 09:23.
    Most important and used Walker Black Diamond Etsuro Gold, Micro Seiki 8000mk2 Kondo special V12 Tiger Eye, Fidelity Research FR 66 Shindo spu, EMT 927, sme 312 aluminium. Fidelity research fr66, Sme 3012 mk1, Sme V, Ikeda 407 IT Sme Model 30/2/Dynavector 507 Kodo Beat Turntable Airtangent 10B modified Fidelity fr66s Etsuro Cartridge . Kondo Gakuoh Mk1 powers G70 Pre,Audio Tekne TFA-8695PCS pre Audio Tekne TEA 8695 Phono. Lfd Battery Phono Stage heavily custom rebuilt by Dr Richard Bews, Tharx Phono Stage. Lfd Master Dual Biamp power amp, Lfd Anniversary master preamp. Shindo Latour Field Coil. Rockport Cygnus Biamped, Voigt Domestic Corner Horns/ Feastex Fildcoils. LFD Custom silver Ribbons. LFD Diamond Vipor Mk2 interconnects, Lfd Golden Cobra interconnect. Koetsu blue lace mono special order, Koetsu burma jade mono special order.

I'm Neil.

I understand your point my comments are only based on performance, I find alot of plinths for the garrards dont it it any justice and yes martin bastin has no website but is a true honest gentleman I have had two plinths from him and his service is excellent even though it takes a while. The RJC plinth is very expensive but having spent serious dosh over the years on this hobby to my eyes and ears is a true audio bargain it takes him months to hand craft a plinth his attention to detail can be only described as first class and puts all others including artisan to shame. He uses extensive damping of resin and various other materials to damp things and the motor like the bastin is fully isolated but thats things further as the motor has its own chamber so to speak and is mounted on a huge stainless steel structure this alone would cost a fortune to machine then the arm is totally isolated again in its own chamber. All this is costly to impliment.

The fit and finish compares to what you would find in a rolls royce and the best boats etc. And as far as sound goes the I remember my audio grail 301 and RJC plinth putting my shindo 301 to shame so for what you get its a bargain. I know its hard with hifi these days as the prices are for some products crazy with turntables at over £100000 and the likes but at least there are a few manufactures who offer a few great buys where they are not applying the normal multiples of 6 to 10 times to achieve a retail price.
    Hi Nari

I appreciate what you are saying but, I do not know how anyone can justify £5000 for a plinth made from resin and wood, and yes I see prices start from £1800 but even that to me seems a very high price.
    Regards Neil

I'm Clive.

The fit and finish compares to what you would find in a rolls royce and the best boats etc. And as far as sound goes the I remember my audio grail 301 and RJC plinth putting my shindo 301 to shame so for what you get its a bargain. times to
    My experience exactly. I sold my Shindo after getting the RJC/Audio Grail combo. It's also relatively better value for money. The RJC/Grail with a top cartridge and arm would cost about one third the cost of the Shindo system.

I'm Neil.

My experience exactly. I sold my Shindo after getting the RJC/Audio Grail combo. It's also relatively better value for money. The RJC/Grail with a top cartridge and arm would cost about one third the cost of the Shindo system.
    I think Audio Grail, what they do, pretty much justify's the prices of their restored Garrards, but despite the RJC plinths looking very nice I don't see the money in them. Maybe if someone can provide imagery of what it is that makes you guys think these are worth the money I might be convinced but so far despite doing a search I can't see £5000 in any of the plinths I have looked at.
    Regards Neil

I'm Keith.

Neil,
    Take a look over on Audio Abattoir at the thread Tales from the Ginnel or on the Wam, sorry don't know the thread name but a search for RJC or Cusworth plinth will get you there. He might even have a thread here in the trade section, sorry I haven't looked.
    He details his latest builds in those threads and you see the quality of the craftsmanship. These are a step above the names you are looking at. They are hand crafted pieces of bespoke furniture with exotic woods, properly seasoned and aged with proper jointing and inlays and a beautiful furniture standard finish which also just happen to be at the top of their game as far as intended function is concerned.
    I would love one for my 401 and I am very jealous that Nari has found a second hand one. I built my own out of Baltic bit h ply with isolated arm pod for SME (actually Groovemaster2 on SME mount) and would take you up on your offer regarding a deal for it except it is for 12" arm. Might be able to modify if you are interested.
    But really, take a look at the RJC and see what goes into the construction and try to see one in the flesh. They are the best solution for these types of deck and should not be confused with the plinth produced from layers of birch ply. Mine is the same construction as the latter and cost well below £100 in materials.
    Regards,
    Keith.
    Last edited by keith1962; 22-10-2018 at 17:50.
    Garrard 401, Groovemaster 2, Arche headshell, Miyajima Shilabe, Paradise Phono amp,
    Aqua La Voce dac
    Salas DCB1
    Najda active crossover and DSP.
    Crown XLi 1500 x 2 bridged, Neurochrome Mod 86 monos, Guy Sergeant Hiraga Le Monstre,
    DIY open baffle with 18" Fane Colossus XB, Beyma 12p80ND and Beyma TPL150H with BK XLS 400 sub.

I'm Nari.

Did you ever try your Shindo Garrard in the RJC plinth I have heard the owner of Audio Grail Matt uses a Shindo platter and bearing on his personal 301 in a RJC plinth.

I'm Nari.

Quote Originally Posted by keith1962 View Post
    Neil,
    Take a look over on Audio Abattoir at the thread Tales from the Ginnel or on the Dam, sorry don't know the thread name but a search for RJC or Cusworth plinth will get you there. He might even have a thread here in the trade section, sorry I haven't looked.
    He details his latest builds in those threads and you see the quality of the craftsmanship. These are a step above the names you are looking at. They are hand crafted pieces of bespoke furniture with exotic woods, properly seasoned and aged with proper mounting and inlays and a beautiful furniture standard finish which also just happen to be at the top of their game as far as intended function is concerned.
    I would love one for my 401 and I am very jealous that Mark has found a second hand one. I built my own out of Baltic bit h ply with isolated arm pod for SME (actually Groovemaster2 on SME mount) and would take you up on your offer regarding a deal for it except it is for 12" arm. Might be able to modify if you are interested.
    But really, Take a look at the RJC and see what goes into the try to see one I the flesh. They are the best suction for these types of deck and should not be confused with the plinth produced from layers of birch ply. Mine is the same construction and cost well below £100 in materials.
    Regards,
    Keith.
    The one I have been offered is actually brand new the dealer got it on saturday I went to see it just thinking about it the problem is I am not that keen on garrards these days but still have a little soft spot and of all the garrards I have owned the best was the RJC audio grail 301 combo my second fav was the bastin plinth with a 401. I did not get on with the collinson plinth for sound at all, maybe it was just me it sounded good in isolation without comparing but do like the appearance of the collinson plinth they are nicely finished for sure.

I would like to hear a 401 in a RJC plinth never had the opportunity as of yet I do not think he has made many .

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast