+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Garrard plinth: Shindo vs Artisan Fidelity

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Beobloke View Post
    That's a peculiar thing for him to say. If the plinth can be cut with a 9" SME mount, then it'll work with a V. There's no magic to it!
    Exactly what I thought Adam. I replied to him by checking that and he repeated it. I am at a loss.
    Regards Neil

I'm Nari.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Supreme D L View Post
    Exactly what I thought Adam. I replied to him by checking that and he repeated it. I am at a loss.
    Ridiculous maybe like some he just does like one of the most sold and sought after, successful hi end tonearms in the world a tonearm designed by Alistair Robertson Aikman who by hifi standards could be described as a modern day genius.
    Most important and used Walker Black Diamond Etsuro Gold, Micro Seiki 8000mk2 Kondo special V12 Tiger Eye, Fidelity Research FR 66 Shindo spu, EMT 927, sme 312 aluminium. Fidelity research fr66, Sme 3012 mk1, Sme V, Ikeda 407 IT Sme Model 30/2/Dynavector 507 Kodo Beat Turntable Airtangent 10B modified Fidelity fr66s Etsuro Cartridge . Kondo Gakuoh Mk1 powers G70 Pre,Audio Tekne TFA-8695PCS pre Audio Tekne TEA 8695 Phono. Lfd Battery Phono Stage heavily custom rebuilt by Dr Richard Bews, Tharx Phono Stage. Lfd Master Dual Biamp power amp, Lfd Anniversary master preamp. Shindo Latour Field Coil. Rockport Cygnus Biamped, Voigt Domestic Corner Horns/ Feastex Fildcoils. LFD Custom silver Ribbons. LFD Diamond Vipor Mk2 interconnects, Lfd Golden Cobra interconnect. Koetsu blue lace mono special order, Koetsu burma jade mono special order.

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Vrajbasi View Post
    Ridiculous maybe like some he just does like one of the most sold and sought after, successful hi end tonearms in the world a tonearm designed by Alistair Robertson Aikman who by hifi standards could be described as a modern day genius.
    I have no idea. I asked about other tonearms I have, Graham 2.2 and Triplannar regarding if they would suit and if he would cut the spare arm boards for them. He said he does not cut the armboards. It was a very unsatisfactory exchange, made worse by him perhaps using google translate.

So I really don't know what to make of it all, except I won't be buying a Das Plinth.
    Regards Neil

I'm Mikkel.

Sounds like Das Plinth is merely a reseller sourcing from 3rd parties somewhere.

His answers and apprehension to do custom work, along with the 3 weeks lead time suggests he is just moving the product at margin via Ebay. He does not want any hassle in doing so.

At that price, I think it may have been made in China or perhaps Eastern Europe.

I'm Nari.

The Web site shows a few pics with sme 3009 arms so mounting a series v should be a doddle, if I wanted one of those the armboard issue would not put me off in any case even if he just provided a blank. I might be buying a RJC plinth for my shindo 301 as I have been offered one today that would be interesting.
    Most important and used Walker Black Diamond Etsuro Gold, Micro Seiki 8000mk2 Kondo special V12 Tiger Eye, Fidelity Research FR 66 Shindo spu, EMT 927, sme 312 aluminium. Fidelity research fr66, Sme 3012 mk1, Sme V, Ikeda 407 IT Sme Model 30/2/Dynavector 507 Kodo Beat Turntable Airtangent 10B modified Fidelity fr66s Etsuro Cartridge . Kondo Gakuoh Mk1 powers G70 Pre,Audio Tekne TFA-8695PCS pre Audio Tekne TEA 8695 Phono. Lfd Battery Phono Stage heavily custom rebuilt by Dr Richard Bews, Tharx Phono Stage. Lfd Master Dual Biamp power amp, Lfd Anniversary master preamp. Shindo Latour Field Coil. Rockport Cygnus Biamped, Voigt Domestic Corner Horns/ Feastex Fildcoils. LFD Custom silver Ribbons. LFD Diamond Vipor Mk2 interconnects, Lfd Golden Cobra interconnect. Koetsu blue lace mono special order, Koetsu burma jade mono special order.

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Vrajbasi View Post
    The Web site shows a few pics with sme 3009 arms so mounting a series v should be a doddle, if I wanted one of those the armboard issue would not put me off in any case even if he just provided a blank. I might be buying a RJC plinth for my shindo 301 as I have been offered one today that would be interesting.
    I know, and he says he will supply with a SME cut for those, so why not a 5? Anyway the doubt puts me off, so I suspect if I decide to try another type of plinth (more for the visuals) it will be a Layers of Beauty one. In saying that having listened to my AMG last night I was wondering why I have any other turntables, as its frankly vastly ahead of all of them.
    Regards Neil

I'm openingabottleofwine.

I know, and he says he will supply with a SME cut for those, so why not a 5? Anyway the doubt puts me off, so I suspect if I decide to try another type of plinth (more for the visuals) it will be a Layers of Beauty one. In saying that having listened to my AMG last night I was wondering why I have any other turntables, as its frankly vastly ahead of all of them.
    Surely the cut out and position of the bedplate fixings is the same for all SME arms?
    Barry

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Surely the cut out and position of the bedplate fixings is the same for all SME arms?
    Well I have noticed that being mounted at an angle seems common for 309 to 5 but re the old ones not always sometimes just straight on the plinth, but yes I thought the basic mounting the same.
    Regards Neil

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Well I have noticed that being mounted at an angle seems common for 309 to 5 but re the old ones not always sometimes just straight on the plinth, but yes I thought the basic mounting the same.
    The important dimension is the distance between the platter spigot and the centre of the arm base cut-out. If the slot lays on a radius, then the full compass of overhang adjustment will be available (that is: +/-12.7mm). If the slot lays parallel to the edge of the plinth ("straight on" as you put it), the adjustment range will be less (by a factor given by the cosine of the angle between the radius and the line of the slot).
    Barry

I'm Clive.

Could it because the tonearm cable on SME arms has a horizontal exit compared to vertical on most arms? This would require a different cable entry arrangement on the plinth.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast