+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Garrard plinth: Shindo vs Artisan Fidelity

I'm Nick.

Default Garrard plinth: Shindo vs Artisan Fidelity

Looking for some info/experiences of these 2 quality plinths for a Garrard.

Not looking for recommendations for slate plinths, thanks.

The AF looks massive (deep) and solid - the Shindo looks lighter and shallower, but I understand it can make the Garrard really sing.
    Is the Shindo solid Cherry wood, vs layered Birch ply/Cherry for the AF?

Anyone using either one of these at home? Mr.Westlower, didn't Russ C make you a Shindo style plinth?

I'm Nick.

btw I love the look of the huge, tall, piano-gloss AF plinth, but I've read it can perhaps over-damp the Garrard, and negatively affect the soundstaging?

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by nickbaba View Post
    Looking for some info/experiences of these 2 quality plinths for a Garrard.

Not looking for recommendations for slate plinths, thanks.

The AF looks massive (deep) and solid - the Shindo looks lighter and shallower, but I understand it can make the Garrard really sing.
    Is the Shindo solid Cherry wood, vs layered Birch ply/Cherry for the AF?

Anyone using either one of these at home? Mr.Westlower, didn't Russ C make you a Shindo style plinth?
    Yes Russ made my wonderful Shindo style plinth, from sapele
    Great!
    "lack of passion is fatal"

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

I'm gordan.

shindo plinth is (according to publicly available information) only laminated solid cherry wood. i assume AF plinth with mixed solid wood comes from theory of dampening vibrations with materials of different resonant merits, including different types of wood.
    Gordan.
    Speakers: Oris Swing MkII
    Amps: Thomas Mayer 300b/ Hiraga La Maison de L'Audiophile 20
    Preamp: Silver AVC by eng. Ferenc Lazar
    Phono Preamp: Shishido LCR by Solaja Audio
    Decks: Garrard 301 Martin Bastin reworked/plinthed with Fidelity Research FR64fx
    Garrard 401 in eng Ferenc Lazar solid wenge plinth with SME 3012/2
    Cartridges: SPU Spirit/ Koetsu Black revisited by eng. Salai/ Miyajima Shilabe
    Step Up Transformers: Tango MCT 999/ Ortofon T-5000/ Lumiere SUT
    Digital: Shigaclone by eng. Ferenc Lazar with Lampizator Amber II
    Wires: of sufficient length

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Idler Garrards RUMBLE, and really, all you can do is sink as much away from the stylus as possible. I suspect the bass 'drive and power' that 'we' like from idler models is mixed up in the rumble spectrum to be honest, but that's just my instincts borne of plenty of experience over the decades.

I don't know either of the plinths you mention, so can't say more, but is Martin Bastin still about? Appearances aside, his Garrard plinths really used to work, the 301 and 401 quietening down no end when properly set up in one, to the point where you could play loud without too much noise in the background. Obviously, may I also suggest at least a look at the Loricraft plinths before you dive in and spend shedloads of money - I mean, they of all people should have an idea how to sort one of these old decks out to best advantage.

For some silly? reason, I got the impression that slate may not be the be-all-and-end-all for Garrard plinths. I don't know why, but thirty years ago I discovered multi-layered and individually jigged birch marine ply seemed to get the (then?) very best out of these decks, the result being a slightly convex sound-stage of great power and detail and with absolutely minimal drive noise getting in the way.

Good luck - I asked a pal to store long-term a truly mint 401 I was given decades ago (I had something better then) and it's now lost, possibly for ever, in his 'audio museum' boxes and I'd love to have it back and plinth it up properly
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Adam.

I can’t compare to other plinths but you are welcome to stop by for a session nick
    "lack of passion is fatal"

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

I'm Clive.

I have owned the Shindo, and a Russ Collinson clone but am not familiar with the AF plinth. The Shindo did somehow sound more musical and the RC never quite matched it, a fact I suspected might be due to the actual timber used, although I have no evidence for that.
    Both were substantially outclassed by the Bob Cusworth Signature plinth, which is a high mass construction utilising bamboo resin and other materials with the motor, drive unit and arm pod all separated. Mine is identical to this one here:
    https://hifiwigwam.com/forum/topic/9...omment-1677811
    Questions of noise just never cross my mind when listening to my 301 in this plinth.

I'm Nick.

AFAIK Martin Bastin is enjoying his retirement these days. But I could be wrong?
    That Bob Cusworth Signature plinth looks the business, but at 3.5k+ is beyond my budget unfortunately. My plinth budget is more like 1.5k max.

Thanks for the invite Adam I might try and take you up on that if I'm over your way at some point.

Here's a couple of images for those not familiar with these plinths:

Shindo

shindo 3.jpgshindo4.jpg

Artisan Fidelity (single tonearm)

a-Garrard-Reed-Ortofon-001.jpgAF IMG_7185+copy+2+(1).jpgAF bnbnvb.jpg

I'm Andrew.

Martin Bastin is still pottering around. To get "SHINDO" you have to go the "whole hog", you'll need the bearing, platter, and tonearm mount and plinth and this will set up back quite a large way into 5 figures. You can buy into this idea for considerably less at https://www.peakhifi.co.uk/ which is basically SHINDO on a budget, marry this with a Russ Collinson solid Cherry plinth and you've probably got 90%+ shindo at about 10% the price. You do the math! Bob Cushworth plinth are based around cat litter (I honestly kid you not)!!!!! You'll probably want to check out Jean Nantais and his ideas on plinth design. If I were you I'd look into the concepts of coupling, decoupling, damping and vibration transmission. You can save a shed load of money and hairline by doing a little research in these areas.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Nick.

Cheers Andrew - btw was the peakhifi.co.uk link pointing to any specific item? It just took me to their generic homepage... I guess perhaps there I can find the bearing, platter upgrades etc... or even a whole upgraded CTC Classic 301, I see...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast