+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Safety first

I'm Mike.

Whereas the above suggestions and explanations are spot on, I'd say that the only way to ensure safety in any hifi kit situation is to ensure that which you say you can't ! Nobody but nobody (except one or two trusted bake-off friends) has touched my kit in over half a century, despite three children and I've not known any other serious audiophile differing from this. For total safety, I think this is the only guaranteed route.

I'm Steve.

One sure way to get me to kick off would be to place something (anything) on top of the deck, speakers or any of the kit. Fortunately everyone here knows better. You need to set your stall out from day one, saves a lot of grief later.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Veiko.

Big thanks to everyone. Your great comments are helping me a lot! It's very nice also to hear praise for the receiver - my dad gave it to me alongside with 2 35w Estonia speakers, which were manufactured 1987. Estonia is my home-land, and also a company which was founded in 1935, and it now is called Audes. Also a Piano Factory. Anyway, these speakers are kind of rarity and only recently one of them started crackling. My father told me never to sell them so I guess I will give them back to him now when I have new ones. I don't think it helped that the one that failed was closer to the sauna in my house. Back in day, his first speakers my father made himself, I cannot exactly tell you why. Nowadays we also have a company Estelon here, which makes high-end speakers and has gathered some respect.

I definately will tell the regular-suspects to respect the equipment. Also I have now realised that the old mp3-s don't sound quite as good as the music bought from Google Play Music, as I use chromecast audio as the player. I hear the CC shouldn't be the bottleneck - I also bought decent cables and I hear it is rocking 24-bit / 192kHz. But I certainly need to check the bitrate of these old mp3-s and probably rip most of the cd-s again - being younger I guess we have accepted all-kind-of crap for our listening-pleasure, and only now I am eager to notice the quality.

I have about 5000 songs in Google Play Library, but only about ten albums from Google Play itself, including Jeff Beck "Guitar Shop", Zappa "Freak Out!", Marillion "F e a r", also bunch of estonian music. Thanks again for your comments!

I'm Steve.

"Freak Out" - that's one I haven't heard in a long time, first FZ album I ever heard. "Trouble Every Day" was my favourite track. If you like early Zappa, "Hot Rats" and "We're Only In It For The Money" are worth checking out.

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:

A/V:

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

I'm Veiko.

Yeah. Zoot Allures also comes to mind and Broadway the Hard way for comic relief (or was it blessed relief). Also sexual harassment at workplace, and everybody tends to like watermelon-track. I have about 40 albums of zappa, most of them copies, as my dad bought them way back. After copying of course I have ripped them to mp3. My good friend even has been to Zappanale two times, a festival in Germany. I have not had the opportunity to do it, but I'm planning on. And I think one might do a lot worse than Coldplay, believe me

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Sansiiro View Post
    . And I think one might do a lot worse than Coldplay, believe me
    I wouldn't be so sure...
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Steve.

Synesthesia sufferers commonly report seeing beige when subjected to Coldplay.

T'other system:

A/V:

I'm Veiko.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Your speakers have decent sensitivity, so I think clipping is unlikely.
    That is good to hear. At first your post got me wondering, because as I understand the regular speaker sensitivity varies from 85 - 105. So I could not see why you would call the sensitivity decent, since it is only 91db.
    Later I read, that a high sensitivity might mean very light drivers, which due to that are easier to distort and defect. So possibly You meant by "decent" that sensitivity is NOT too high?

I'm Russell.

They make fuses, or breakers, designed to protect your speakers. I know I’ve seen them in the Parts-Express catalog. Although, it may require some math to decide what size you need to protect your speakers from your amp. If clipping, or just plain amperage, heat the voice coil enough it will trip the breaker, or blow the fuse instead. I had a pair of speakers once that had fuses, I eventually blew them, opened the speaker to discover they existed, and removed them from the circuit. I really didn’t hear any difference whether they were in or out. So adding them shouldn’t hurt your sound quality.

Russell

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12