+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Amplifier Shootout

I'm Tony.

Not problem Oli

I would have gone down the same path if I were at that stage of my audio journey as well.
    Coherent Systems
    Real high end sound with musicality not hifi

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. C View Post
    Not problem Oli

I would have gone down the same path if I were at that stage of my audio journey as well.
    That's reassuring to know.

It's only due to good fortune that I ended up with these fantastic amplifiers so it's been a lot of fun.

The Krell is back in currently. Sounds very natural.

Sent from my VKY-L09 using Tapatalk

Bigman80 Guest

Continuation..........

After a week of pure amplifier magic, I just couldn't whittle the last two down to anything other than the enjoyment factor.

The Luxman-Luxkit is a real deal amplifier. It's right up there with the best I've heard. Clarity and focus is superb and yes, it has scale. Not quite as big sounding as the Krell but it's a great performance.

I spent hours listening to this. I wanted to keep it. I really like it's looks. It's a SS amp that doesn't let you know it. Bass is excellent. Deep but taut. Again the Krell gets a bit deeper but let's be honest, it should. It was twice the price!!

What I love about the Luxman-Luxkit is how it's unassuming. Nobody would look at it and expect it to be anywhere near as good as it is. Yet let it warm up, put anything on and blam! It shakes you awake.

Rock, classical, acoustic, anything. It does it all. The only issue I have with it, is the Krell. Today I played a track by Albert King. I can't remember the name at the minute. At the end of the song, there is a part he sings which is very delicate. I heard it through the Krell and it got me, right in the feels. I was stunned. It was a moment of realisation that the Krell was the one. I tried in vain to get the Luxman-Luxkit to replicate it but it didn't. That was that.

I strongly believe that the Lux would benefit from the move into its Class A mode but I'm not sure how much different it would be. It's capable of putting a coat hanger in your grill and making you smile from ear to ear uncontrollably. It's just that organic sound of the Krell which tips the scales for me.

The Krell has taken my heart. I can't deny it. The sound from the big lump of 80's muscle is exactly what I wanted. I'm sad because I know how rare the Luxman-Luxkit is but I can't deny it, I keep putting the Krell back in.

The Krell puts meat on the bone. Makes it a living breathing person on the mic and I've never experienced a more organic performance here. I described the Krells I'd heard as being effortless but the better description is natural. To me, in my house, in my system, the Krell is King.

I've had a rollercoaster of a ride between these two amps. It's nip and tuck but I just knew it was time to accept the Krell as my new amp. The Luxman-Luxkit is already sold and will be off to Ireland very soon.

If you see one, I would snap it up.

Well, this really has been fun but I'm glad it's over. The Krell is far too heavy to keep lumping around

I'm Geoff.

What might you be using six months down the line though mate? Still with the Krell, or might something from ARC or Levinson arrive?

I'm Edward.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    What might you be using six months down the line though mate? Still with the Krell, or might something from ARC or Levinson arrive?
    The MF Titan's that are for sale just maybe will compete with the Krells.
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwardlon View Post
    The MF Titan's that are for sale just maybe will compete with the Krells.
    Nice enough, but pricey and do they have the cachet?

I'm Edward.

Nice enough, but pricey and do they have the cachet?
    All true Geoff. We will have to collectively get our heads together for Oli's next amp.
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwardlon View Post
    All true Geoff. We will have to collectively get our heads together for Oli's next amp.
    Well I'm heading in the opposite direction pricewise. My latest amp from China cost £17 and I'm expecting great things once the requisite power supply arrives. It could of course be total crap, but maybe not .

I'm Lawrence.

All I know is my £90 Yamaha is good enough for my needs! I love it when something stupidly cheap that you really like comes along

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk

Bigman80 Guest

Geoff, if I still have this in 6 months I will be happy. The landscape at work is changing so trimming down the kit. The Krell is a beast I'd like to spend some time with, hope I get the chance.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast