+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Amplifier Shootout

I'm Geoff.

For an alleged 25 watts, the little SM-70 packs a surprising wallop. It had no bother at all driving my Tannoys to silly levels with plenty of grip. Same with my 83db KEF's.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    Sorry it's me again.

I still think you are probably not getting the best out of the Krell by giving it an easy load to chew on.

With different, more challenging speakers you may well find the Monarchy slipping behind in the betting.
    Mind you, with a more difficult load the Monarchy might not sing quite so fluently.
    Too many variables.
    You're could be right, Jerry. In a different situation with loads, the Monarchy may not perform as well. Unfortunately I don't have any other speakers that I could test that out with.

I do suspect that the Krell will drive anything. It's got amazing power.

Sent from my VKY-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm gone.

I had a Monarchy amp - may well have been the SM-70 - I didn't get on with it at all!
    My Krell KSA50 mk1 had the same sort of signature but a bit less so.

I think we are after different sorts of sounds.
    Interesting to see the review of Geoff's fave Creek Destiny 2 amp on TechRadar - a full five stars and strongly recommended but with the comment "Some listeners may find this amp too laid back for its own good". I think I am one of those listeners!

Bigman80 Guest

I had a Monarchy amp - may well have been the SM-70 - I didn't get on with it at all!
    My Krell KSA50 mk1 had the same sort of signature but a bit less so.

I think we are after different sorts of sounds.
    Interesting to see the review of Geoff's fave Creek Destiny 2 amp on TechRadar - a full five stars and strongly recommended but with the comment "Some listeners may find this amp too laid back for its own good". I think I am one of those listeners!
    That's why these things are so subjective. The Monarchy is right up my street in terms of transparency and dynamics but there is an edge that reveals its SS nature. If it had the silk in the treble that the Krell has, it'd be perfection. It's already close.

It's just fun trying these things out and seeing what's available.

I'm Geoff.

I didn't find it 'laid back', just incredibly clean, transparent and detailed. Plenty of power too.

I think I mentioned before. The Destiny 2 has usurped my mate's EAR 861 driving his modified MG Chatsworths. He was so impressed, he now owns two.

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I didn't find it 'laid back'
    Sure. That's the point.
    My laidback is your just right.
    We are just after different presentations, as recognised in that review. Some will find it too laidback others won't.

I'm Tony.

Blimey, if it is laid back for you Jerry than there is no hope for the rest of rest of us

Packaged arrived thank you

Never found the Krell's to be overly smooth, but punchy, slam inducing and overly wayward bass in any other than a large room.

Oli

What about trying a different source / pre in the mix first, though I am inclined to agree with Jerry a stiffer load with the Krell will help.
    Coherent Systems
    Real high end sound with musicality not hifi

Bigman80 Guest

Hey Tony,

I'd love to but I haven't got anything to swap around with.

I'm Tony.

Hi Oli

Maybe one of the chaps on here which is not to far from you could loan you for a couple of days, it may help you isolate the issue for you.

The SM70's are more fluid with the majority of speakers between 88-94dB I have found, had many of them over the years including the good old Monarchy DIP!

They are a good half way house between so called valve fluidity and solid state brute force at the time they were released.

Had a soft spot for them in fairness.

For me the Krell's were hit and miss but this again depends on room size, partnering speakers and well thought out systems, not always easy to make the sing, but one you did they put a smile on your face.

Personally of that era I preferred Gryphon, think European Krell with a more liquid music approach, these days not so unfortunately imho.
    Coherent Systems
    Real high end sound with musicality not hifi

Bigman80 Guest

Tony,

I've been listening for a few days to the Krell and the Luxman-Luxkit Avance and picking a winner between the two is incredibly difficult.

I don't get any wayward bass from the Krell, just plenty of low end grunt but the Luxman-Luxkit is probably a little tighter down in the lower registers.

The room isn't big and the speakers aren't difficult but when I got the cables in, the Krell took a step forward and became mesmeric. I was blown away.

I think it's definitely worth trying the Luxman-Luxkit in Class A mode as in A/B it's so close between that and the Krell that I just can't decide which I prefer.

The SM-70 is a class act. I totally agree on its abilities but the massive soundstage of the Krell and the Luxman-Luxkit both usurped it. The Luxman-Luxkit is every bit as fluid as the SM-70 and in terms of resolution, it has the edge in the midrange with the treble being slightly more silky. Ultimately, I decided to keep the Luxman-Luxkit until I've got it in class a and got some of my cables long enough to have it all set up properly. I will change it to class A and see where the Land lies there. To say the Difference between the Lux and the Krell is minor, is an understatement.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast