+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Amplifier Shootout

I'm Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Geoff, if I still have this in 6 months I will be happy. The landscape at work is changing so trimming down the kit. The Krell is a beast I'd like to spend some time with, hope I get the chance.

Sent from my VKY-L09 using Tapatalk
    I’ve had my Krell for about 2 years now, and I cannot get tired of it. To this day, when I turn it on I am surprised at how good it sounds! Each and every time. I listen to the radio a lot, and with my Magnum Dynalab tuner, it’s good! But, a bit fat in the bass. Then I put on a record, and suddenly everything is right with the world! I want to purchase a new preamp, I know it’ll make a world of difference. But for some reason I’m in no hurry.

Russell

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by alphaGT View Post
    I’ve had my Krell for about 2 years now, and I cannot get tired of it. To this day, when I turn it on I am surprised at how good it sounds! Each and every time. I listen to the radio a lot, and with my Magnum Dynalab tuner, it’s good! But, a bit fat in the bass. Then I put on a record, and suddenly everything is right with the world! I want to purchase a new preamp, I know it’ll make a world of difference. But for some reason I’m in no hurry.

Russell
    I'm really pleased with it. So much so I can imagine it being here for some time. I can't get over how realistic things sound. Sure, it probably needs a touch of leading edge to match the best amps in ultimate resolution and yes, on certain recordings the bass is a bit fat as you say. A wooden floor with a large cavity beneath isn't helping that at all and it's something I've been aware of for some time. And with multiple amps and speakers.

Speaker stands of sufficient quality will help and that's in my to do list. I also have a method of decoupling I want to look in to which will help further.

I haven't heard any other amp do what the Krell does. That's the truth. Is it ridiculously big? Yes. Is it warm in the room after an hour? Yes. Is it going to be expensive to recap? Yes. Is it the best amplifier I've had? Yes. Do I get goosebumps listening to the system? Yes.

I just love it.

Sent from my VKY-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Brook.

Hi Oliver, I enjoy reading your posts about your amplifier adventures, but can I ask you about something you mentioned when you first got your Krell. You said you thought your turntable was broken at first & changing the valves brought about a big change to the sound, were any of the first valves you tried broken do you know? Just that it seems very reliant on particular valves if not which seems strange to me, surely an amp with that sort of new price tag should be good no matter what valves were used?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234