+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: LP clamp shootout! - on a Techie 1210

I'm gone.

Default LP clamp shootout! - on a Techie 1210

... and in the shiny, pure aluminium corner, we have Hamish's LP clamp - kindly loaned to me while his tt is off galavantin' (350g-ish)

... and in the cool black & strobed corner, we have my cheapo clamp off eBay (250g-ish) with rubber base

... and in the rubber fetish corner we have the original Revolver Pig (negligible g), which works by gripping the spindle and pushing down on the LP

... and in the 4th corner ... nowt! - we have an absence of clamp.

This contest was performed on a standard SL-1210 with a Herbie Mat and 3 RDC1 cones onto a glass shelf, itself atop 3 aluminium cones on a concrete slab (courtesy of B&Q). A Dynavector DV17D3 fed into a Loricraft (Garrard) Missing Link phonostage - into an AVI Lab Series LSI integrated (300wpc into 4 ohms) and and thence to my Infinity RS2.5 ribbon hybrid speakers (see avatar).

Playing a single LP - Tchaikovsky symphony #6 as conducted by the excellent Fritz Reiner and his Chicago Symphony Orchestra on a good condition RCA LP. (These 1960's RCAs are not far off legendary as far as sound quality goes).
    Yeah, I know that most of you futzes aren't classical fans, but this music has everything from delicate solo flute up to 120 musicians going hell for leather and giving their all, including a very enthusiastic brass section.

Sound quality differences seemed to focus on ... err ... image focus, solidity and definition, and also overall dynamic slam & speed.

Surprisingly, there was a pretty obvious hierarchy with no clamp being at the bottom.
    My lovely shiny rubber bottomed strobed clamp improved things a fair amount, but it was pretty clear that Hamish's aluminium jobbie was doing an even better job. Images were, to my slight dismay, obviously better focussed and palpable. Damn - I'd hoped my clamp would win out.

In quiet desperation I had a think - aha, I still had that rubber fetish job from my old Revolver tt .... after a quick rummage in my spares drawer, out it came. And the Revolver Pig is The WINNER!! ... the difference wasn't as large as between my black clamp and Hamish's aluminium job, but it was still pretty damn clear that the grippy rubber did an even better job. That was a surprise.

Obviously, I don't have any posh / expensive clamps here, but it does seem clear that clamps do differ in their effect and that it is worth experimenting to see what works best on your deck!

I'm ChrisB.

Interesting Jerry.
    You mention the things that the changes seemed to affect most. Did the PIG restrict itself to those things alone too?

Hark! What's that noise I hear?
    Ah yes 'tis the tuneful music of the frantic box & drawer rummage orchestra accompanied by the mouse click chorus sounding out all across this Fair Land.
    Soon the orchestra will be joined by the two soloists 'supply' and 'demand'.

I'm David.

happy days, so I wasn't ... What was it you called me ??? I think you just said "wrong" ...
    I'm glad you had some success with it buddy...and indeed more succes with something that is yours! Do you think that your rubber fettish jobby applys more presure, and works better for it? I'm interested in the why's of what these things do so I can hopefully be more successful when my table returns - I'm a little worried about the return of my tt to be honest, I'm trying to draw some conclusions as why certain feet and certain clamps etc work with different methods of supporting the thing .. Whilst there does seem to be corelation between peoples findings ... There seems to be greater succes with with more solid foundation ... Not wibbly wobbly as I have got with my quadraspire...
    Maybe it's karma for going against hannah's desire to get a stand that looked pretty ... I guess I can only wait an see!!
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

I'm David.

happy days, so I wasn't ... What was it you called me ??? I think you just said "wrong" ...
    I'm glad you had some success with it buddy...and indeed more succes with something that is yours! Do you think that your rubber fettish jobby applys more presure, and works better for it? I'm interested in the why's of what these things do so I can hopefully be more successful when my table returns - I'm a little worried about the return of my tt to be honest, I'm trying to draw some conclusions as why certain feet and certain clamps etc work with different methods of supporting the thing .. Whilst there does seem to be corelation between peoples findings ... There seems to be greater succes with with more solid foundation ... Not wibbly wobbly as I have got with my quadraspire...
    Maybe it's karma for going against hannah's desire to get a stand that looked pretty ... I guess I can only wait an see!!
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

MartinT Guest

Quote Originally Posted by hamish View Post
    I'm a little worried about the return of my tt to be honest
    Hamish, I'm looking to go down to Dave's in Dartmouth on Tuesday 13th. He'll have your Jelco then and should be able to wrap your deck up pretty quickly.

No chance of your coming down on Tuesday too?

I'm David.

good news indeed, that times quite well as my blingy blue top bit is due to be completed tomorow!

Hmm very tempting, yes, I would say there is a reasonable chance! Finances are horribly tight... Where would I need to catch a train to, and il look into costs and timings!

I'm notAlone.

Nice contest Jerry ! Very enjoyable to read.

The original Revolver Pig is not on sale anymore, is it ?
    Dimitri.

In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    George Orwell

Smile

Totnes is a main line station and is 25 minutes away, and on the way for Martin! Or bristol even??

Regards

Dave

MartinT Guest

I could easily pick you up from Paignton (via Bristol and Exeter for you) or Totnes as Dave recommends. I'll be driving from Basingstoke so it's on my way.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

The Pig kindly donated to me isn't hugely grippy (possibly old age and the 701's spindle isn't very long) but does seem to help on dished records, stopping the record centre being decoupled from the mat. I also have an extra soft disc in the centre well...

Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast