+ Reply to Thread
Page 27 of 71 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast

Thread: Sony TTS-8000 Turntable

I'm jamie.

ah well thats a different story then,a good buy and welcome to the club,ive got some big changes planned for mine soon.
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by karma67 View Post
    yep im very happy to be wrong in this instance,i hadn't realised they'd shot up so much in value. happy days!
    One sale on eBay doesn't mean much and should never be a guide price, now if several have sold at that then you're talking, that TT had been up for sale before 3 or 4 times and was withdrawn, then put back on at let's say, a different price to what the original auction was possibly going to end at, seller withdrew it before it ended, so I think someone told the seller it was worth a lot more than it was originally going to sell for, which going by previous sales was optimistic, it reappeared a week later at more than double then it sat on eBay for the next few months at the latest asking price. I was going to bid on the original auction but it was pulled before I got the chance.

There's another one for sale on eBay minus the plinth and arm for £1500 and has been for months. It might sell once it drops to about £600- 700 otherwise it's going to sit there a very long time.

The mint one that sold from Germany is probably more reflective of the right value.

I know on here most forum users pretty much know what something is worth second hand, unfortunately there are lots of people out there that see something on eBay at a certain asking price and go wow I've got one of those look how much it's worth! Sorry, asking price on eBay isn't what something is worth, it's the selling price people need to look at.

But I will also say this, if someone wants to pay whatever price is asked then that's up to them, as long as they enjoy that purchase then cost is irrelevant.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Dixon View Post
    I felt it was worth £1500 based on it looking like units without arm/cartridge were going for around £1100 and this also having an SME 2 Imp and Ortofon SL-15E.

It's a UK model too, which adds to the value in my eyes.

So that's what I offered and what was accepted.

The SME also has the rare-ish damping trough, but since I already have a surplus identical detachable headshell version I'll probably sell that on. I'll try the Ortofon before deciding what to do, but it's not a Decca so slim chance of keeping it ;-)

I spent a couple of hours setting it up yesterday with another Mission 774/Decca. It's a bit of a lash-up but it's sounding OK. I suppose I should clean it!

One tip I'll pass on is to turn the lock off and adjust the speeds until they are as close as possible; then turn the lock back on. The PLL has less work to do if the frequencies are already close and I think it sounds better for it.
    Good haggling there, seller obviously realised they were asking too much.

I'm Mike.

ah well thats a different story then,a good buy and welcome to the club,ive got some big changes planned for mine soon.
    Phew, I'm relieved too, hate it when I think I see someone pay over the odds

I'm jamie.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyb View Post
    One sale on eBay doesn't mean much and should never be a guide price, now if several have sold at that then you're talking, that TT had been up for sale before 3 or 4 times and was withdrawn, then put back on at let's say, a different price to what the original auction was possibly going to end at, seller withdrew it before it ended, so I think someone told the seller it was worth a lot more than it was originally going to sell for, which going by previous sales was optimistic, it reappeared a week later at more than double then it sat on eBay for the next few months at the latest asking price. I was going to bid on the original auction but it was pulled before I got the chance.

There's another one for sale on eBay minus the plinth and arm for £1500 and has been for months. It might sell once it drops to about £600- 700 otherwise it's going to sit there a very long time.

The mint one that sold from Germany is probably more reflective of the right value.

I know on here most forum users pretty much know what something is worth second hand, unfortunately there are lots of people out there that see something on eBay at a certain asking price and go wow I've got one of those look how much it's worth! Sorry, asking price on eBay isn't what something is worth, it's the selling price people need to look at.

But I will also say this, if someone wants to pay whatever price is asked then that's up to them, as long as they enjoy that purchase then cost is irrelevant.
    i know that mate,i was being sympathetic in reply to patricks post,i thought he'd paid the sellers asking price,imo the motor unit on its own is grand all day long,slightly over or under is ofc up to the individual.
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
    It is a very good TT, if the arm is not required and put up for resale there is potentially another £300+ recovered from the sale price.
    As for value, they don't make them any more, so the £K+ appears to be the base asking price in many Ad's over the past months.
    When it is up and running, comparing it to a Multiple £K TT set up, will let the purchaser know what a bargain they have in their possession.
    If the SP10 and TTS 8000 are close competitors, then the expressed positive appraisals offered by a variety of TT enthusiasts, Die Hard Vinylists to Bespoke TT Builders, about my SP10 front end at Kegworth, should assure the new owner of the TTS 8000, they have a very good corner stone to build a Vinyl System from.
    I have the opportunity to trial the SP10/TTS 8000, but the SP10 is such a good experience, I am in no rush to
    go down that road.
    Hi John,

I have heard both of these TTs, in identical plinths and with identical PMAT1010 tonearm. Same cartridge, same everything.

The comparison was done in my own system and with material I knew really well.

I had the option to swap my SP10 for the TTS8000, and having long been an admirer of the Sony, certainly longer than the SP10, I felt quite sure I would take the option and make the swap, untill I did the comparison.

They may be two super high quality turntables but I definitely preferred the SP10.

There will always those that have a different opinion and I respect that, their money, their decision.

I'm Mike.

i know that mate,i was being sympathetic in reply to patricks post,i thought he'd paid the sellers asking price,imo the motor unit on its own is grand all day long,slightly over or under is ofc up to the individual.
    Yip totally agree, I must admit I nearly said something too in case full asking was paid and could have backed out, but then I thought as Grant said it's worth what someone is willing to pay. I bet it cleans up nice and plays great. Have been tempted to try one myself but I'll stick with my modded Techie just now ( famous last words, I've nearly listed 3 or 4 times in the last few months )

In fact I've recently contemplated selling the whole lot and using the cash for something else

I'm jamie.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Hi John,
    There will always those that have a different opinion and I respect that, their money, their decision.
    Yes and only mine matters, to me
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Mike.

Yes and only mine matters, to me