+ Reply to Thread
Page 47 of 71 FirstFirst ... 37454647484957 ... LastLast

Thread: Sony TTS-8000 Turntable

I'm jamie.

in the meantime lets take the bearings out
    apply heat with a paint stripper,i used a bit of round bar i had and tapped the edge of the top bearing to remove it,
    nearly out!

top bearing came out easy.

i used some sockets and a g-clamp to press out the bottom bearing and spacer tube.

all out and ready to be inspected and measured.

My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Andrew.

Good so far keep up the good work
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm jamie.

im currently looking at more modern alternative's but need guidance,igus seem promising but size might be an issue.
    ive come this far and would hate to put back new oilites but they may be the only option.
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Paul.

You're a brave man Jamie. I'm in awe. Great work.

I'm Carsten.

Great work Jamie - I nominate you to the TTS-8000 Investigators Award of the month

Regarding refurbishing the oilite bearings there is some interesting points made here:

https://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...earing-213850/

I am far from being an expert on refurbishment of oilite bearings, but I am pretty sure the Lenco community made some groundwork on the subject.

The trustpad is quite interesting. I'm guessing it is the weaker material of the two main contactspoints in the bearing, so it will eventually wear out. If a replacement for the trustpad could be made (which material ?) I guess we would have come a long way of extending the lifespan of our TTS-8000's.
    Last edited by Nonnegativ; 07-09-2019 at 10:23. Reason: Spelling
    English is not my native language, so any grammar & spelling errors is due to my crappy Smartphone..

Speakers: Franco Serblin Accordo.
    Amp: Yamaha A-S2100.
    Turntable 1: Sony TTS-8000 in a TB-2000 plinth with:
    Tonearm 1: Helius Phaedra & Benz LP-S.
    Tonearm 2: Reed 2A & ?
    Turntable 2: Garrard 401, Jelco SA-750E & Shelter 501 classic.
    Phonostage: Modwright PH 9.0 w. US Amperex 7308.
    Step-up: Allnic AUT-2000.
    Head-amp: GS Elevator EXP.
    Cables: AN Qssc, Belden 8402 & Audience au24.

http://www.discogs.com/user/Nonnegativ

I'm Patrick.

Quote Originally Posted by Nonnegativ View Post
    Great work Jamie - I nominate you to the TTS-8000 Investigators Award of the month
    Seconded!

Are they definitely oilite bearings?

The 'ball' on the end of the spindle and the thrust pad will take the of the force and I'd assume they would need some lubrication of their own. TD124s and my EMT 927 (which also have ball bearing contacts) use light oil. I have some of the 'special' EMT oil and it looks similar in consistency to the SAE20 oil that I used in my TD124 and the Sony.

I'm John.

When I was at Reading Festival watching the Foo Fighters,
    Dave Grohl made reference to some of the acts over the previous decades that had Topped the Bill.
    He was making the statement of the like, " Now he had Big balls",
    "They had Big Balls", "He had really Big Balls".
    I let the follow up readers decide where Jamie Ball size fits in.
    You are in front of herd now, with this strip back.
    I myself have been very inspired by it and have modded a few of my thoughts on where I am going with my TTS.
    Looking at all the parts removed from within the Housing and Oil Seal assembly, the most unique part seems to be the most vulnerable,
    i.e the Plastic Sump Plug.
    Doing all that one can to preserve the integrity of this seems to me to be paramount.
    Now it has been shown how to access it, if there is a desire to clean out the bottom of the housing, I would suggest the method/or similar of strip back as seen carried out by Jamie.
    This will then allow for the Plastic Part to be detergent cleaned, removing any of the risks that a solvent may pose to it.
    The opportunity to source a replacement at present seems very limited.

I'm jamie.

thank you fella's.
    i have an inquisitive mind,but yeah perhaps my balls are a bit big if you consider my bearings were/are ok
    ive put it all back together again now,untill i get some direction about better replacements and bearing materials that out perform the oilites.

the turntable does appear to be running very well now,no noise.
    before i put the bearings back in i baked them in the oven to draw out any old oil and open up the pours.
    even after a good clean before going in i was surprised to see a lot more had weeped out.
    when i was sure no more was being drawn out i put them in very hot sae 30 compressor oil and left them to soak for 30 mins.
    i then heated up the bearing carrier and pressed them back in,job done!
    its not that much of a hard job to be honest,just take plenty of pictures for reference as you go.
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Deleted.

If I were looking to improve this bearing I would most likely use POM (Delrin) bushes. However, I think it even more likely I would remake the entire bearing housing from POM and not use separate bearing liners. I would also want to know exactly what the dimensions of the bearing shaft are and if the diameter is consistent along it’s length.
    Account Deleted

I'm jamie.

hi mark,that sounds lovely!
    however that may be a step to far unless you know someone who is prepaired to machine 1 offs.
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

+ Reply to Thread
Page 47 of 71 FirstFirst ... 37454647484957 ... LastLast