+ Reply to Thread
Page 48 of 71 FirstFirst ... 38464748495058 ... LastLast

Thread: Sony TTS-8000 Turntable

I'm jamie.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Dixon View Post
    Seconded!

Are they definitely oilite bearings?

The 'ball' on the end of the spindle and the thrust pad will take the of the force and I'd assume they would need some lubrication of their own. TD124s and my EMT 927 (which also have ball bearing contacts) use light oil. I have some of the 'special' EMT oil and it looks similar in consistency to the SAE20 oil that I used in my TD124 and the Sony.
    the design of the tts-8000 and also the pioneer plc-590,both well respected turntables is such that no oil is needed. to us turntable enthusiasts that would seem counter-intuitive (myself included).
    oilite bearings do not need oiling,i suspect the delrin thrust pad doesn't either.
    now fast forward 40 years and perhaps they do need some oil,here is where we are today,in my mind rather than putting oil on the spindle it seems much better to have the oilites re oiled under vacuum or just fit new ones.

the next question comes into play when you get old bearings out,the mind turns to 'is there better' i could use?
    if only i had a lathe,oh the fun i would have!
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm jamie.

i also forgot to add this,
    i removed the thrust pad,very easy to do,just apply heat around it on the metal housing and it unscrews!

so we now have all the parts removed that make up the bearings.
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Deleted.

That thrust pad isn’t made from Delrin, looks more like nylon to me.
    Account Deleted

I'm jamie.

Quote Originally Posted by YNWaN View Post
    That thrust pad isn’t made from Delrin, looks more like nylon to me.
    nice one,as an indication when you put the screwdriver in the slots,they flex,ive not handled delrin or nylon so i was just assuming.
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm mark.

Is that a standard metric thread?

I've no plans to open mine up, but, does the electronics board cover the bearing, or is there a hole ? I'm thinking adding mass/vibration absorption materials.

+ The standard mod for a 1210 is to remove the transformer/mains voltage from the deck. Do you think thats an option. Setting another seed to fiddle, the transformers isolated (we remove transit screws) is it sprung loaded or rubber grommets?

Great work

I'm John.

Hi Mark
    This TT, for me,has definitely been the one to get me thinking about how it can be, and not rest on how it is. I am really hoping this is a project I fulfill.
    I was not seeing the off board Tranx, which would be a simplistic method of isolation with a guaranteed isolation if achievable.
    I was already looking at a way to improve on decoupling the Tranx, for a more effective isolation.
    There are a few other ideas in with this, the understanding on how to keep the work reversible, will take the most thought and outlay, if achievable.
    The Motor is on three identical mounts, two as seen in the image and one centrally fixed on the opposite end.
    The pair as seen are on a made up of a Red Rubber, Gator type forms, that two are used per fastening sandwiching the Transformers mounting bracket between them.
    The single centrally fixed mounting fastening has two Black Rubber, Gator type forms used to sandwich the Transformers mounting bracket between them.
    The Black Rubber seems less springy than the Red Rubbers.
    Whether this is a material selected for the extra weight or if it a deterioration over the years, is for another to decide on. To the touch, it feels like it requires a little more applied finger pressure to create a depression.
    The Circuit Board has a 11.5mm hole, that is directly in line with the sump plug.
    WP_20190908_16_13_35_Pro (2).jpgWP_20190908_16_12_50_Pro (2).jpg

I'm jamie.

is yours a japanese tts john?
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm John.

Yes it is a Japanese one.
    I couldn't make the time for a superb specimen,so it ended up in a worthy ownership,
    it has been very pleasing to receive the feedback on the overall condition, during this thread.
    Indirectly, my one I have at present, has definitely contributed to the energies put into learning about these in a way not seen to date.
    So it has been quite a useful TTS, for all of its requirement for a little bit of TLC, in the bearing department.
    With Jamie's recent exploits, there does not seem to be any concerns on my behalf to bring it back to the original Spec.

I'm Deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by karma67 View Post
    nice one,as an indication when you put the screwdriver in the slots,they flex,ive not handled delrin or nylon so i was just assuming.
    You can buy white Delrin but it is more of a true white than the piece you show. It also has less flex than you describe. Nylon, on the other hand, has that yellowish opacity (or can have) and also the flex you describe. Not that it really matters .
    Account Deleted

I'm Paul.

Jamie, did you measure the oilite bearings? Might they be an off the shelf size?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 48 of 71 FirstFirst ... 38464748495058 ... LastLast