+ Reply to Thread
Page 28 of 71 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast

Thread: Sony TTS-8000 Turntable

I'm John.

I have searched out Three Items over the Past 2 Years, but not all are searches that have extended back so far.
    Item one,
    OTA, fully refurbished OTEC R Treble Panel, ESL 57 Speaker. ( Never Found a Pair that the 'OTA' Supported, follow up investigation of the refurb works were proven, at any price ).
    My search is now very much reduced.

Item Two,
    One for Ollie, Ortofon Vienna, never found a genuine offer, but subjected to
    'Four Blatant Fraud Attempts'.
    I Recently managed to get a very good alternative MC to the Vienna. The route to achieve this was much friendlier and not in any way insulting through Scammers getting involved.
    I think with more run in time on the Alternative MC, a fairer final analysis will produce a more convincing statement, that a search for a Vienna is not so critical.
    My search is now very much reduced. ( On this one, I will happily accept Snoozers are Losers, if a Vienna ever appears).

Vintage Japanese DD TT's, I have searched the Globe for Quality Models, I do not know any models proved functioning, in the Brands I am investigating, that can be found in a reasonable condition and working for the much less than a £1000.
    Taking into account many on offer will be a absolute punt, as there will be no valuable vendor communication and no returns allowed, and considering the TT is of a Vintage Status, there is a lot of risk for ones hard earned funds.
    To be able to purchase a proven working Vintage TT, is real peace of mind.
    I bought my SP10 from what I will say, was a Shed Clearance Individual, the seller was savvie enough to investigate values, and was hoping for top dollar for what I was viewing as a very suspicious looking item, in relation to feeling any confidence about how it would function, it was a junk item in my view.
    I was extremely fortunate to have had Angus take on my old beaten SP10, and after many head scratching moments, Angus had trouble shot his way through numerous complications, to bring into the fold a perfectly overhauled functioning TT.
    I am looking for a SP10 for a friend at present, they will not commit to any models I am presenting for their assessment, as they are not willing to take a punt on any models I am finding within their budget, as these are risky purchase options from foreign countries.
    If they were to increase the budget, then UK models will come onto the list.

The recent purchase in discussion of the TTS 8000 was a clear and calculated assessment, the buyer has made a purchase he is very satisfied with, as his purchase criteria was met.

I'm Patrick.

Well I'm touched that you're worried I might have paid too much but I really didn't need another deck and so was only ever prepared to pay what I though was a fair market value for curiousity's sake.

I came across that one a few weeks ago and watched it for a bit to see what would happen. The listing expired and then it got re-listed a couple of times so I just sent a polite note to the seller explaining what I thought it was worth and why, and what I was prepared to pay. It helped that collection and cash wasn't a problem for me and the seller turned out to be a really nice chap just trying to realise the best prices for his (deceased, I assume) Dad's Hi-Fi about which he knew very little.

[I'd like to post a photo of it with the lashed-up Mission/Decca here but I can't see how to upload an attachment. I guess that might be disabled?]
    [EDIT]Figured it out, but not sure why it's a thumbnail?[/EDIT]

20190519_103110 small.jpg

I had to add some bits of lead to the counterweight stub because I only have one heavy counterweight, and that's on the other 774 on the Thorens 124. I haven't used any damping on the arm at the moment.

It's everything I was taught to hate in the 70s; sloping platter sides, strobes, quartz lock and very Japanese styling but I am rapidly getting used to it's functional simplicity. I like the instant start and stop, the touch on/off and it's quiet efficiency. The mat is a bit of an issue because it's not very flat and Deccas really don't really like warps.

It sounds really good; plenty of power and idler-level timing but also with delicacy and detail. I'm impressed so far.
    Last edited by Patrick Dixon; 19-05-2019 at 10:12.

I'm jamie.

here you go patrick
    it looks great .

My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Patrick.

Thanks. So how do you do that then?

It's missing the singles adapter thingy, but I'm never going to use that anyway.

Interested to hear about your big plans ...

I'm jamie.

i just copied you photo location address and pasted it into the photo frame icon above the reply box.
    regarding the changes,i intend to make a new plinth in either mu25 plywood which i have already or depending on the price panzerholz,i have enough panzerholz to do the arm board,although the standard sony one will be hard to beat (lead) and once my router arrives i will make a start.the whole lot will be veneered in something nice,ive nit made my mind up yet but im leaning towards rio rosewood. watch this space!
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm jamie.

oh and regarding the mat,yes they all seem to suffer from oil build up around the edge,mine isnt too bad but its not perfect,a tenuto or similar metal mat is a great upgrade or just leave the sony mate between 2 bits of glass for a few days under weight,mine responds well to this.
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by karma67 View Post
    i just copied you photo location address and pasted it into the photo frame icon above the reply box.
    regarding the changes,i intend to make a new plinth in either mu25 plywood which i have already or depending on the price panzerholz,i have enough panzerholz to do the arm board,although the standard sony one will be hard to beat (lead) and once my router arrives i will make a start.the whole lot will be veneered in something nice,ive nit made my mind up yet but im leaning towards rio rosewood. watch this space!
    Rio rosewood! Very nice.

If you go panzerholtz, I'll be very interested In the final result. I have a 32mm one on the way for mine

I'm jamie.

my new router arrives tomorrow,ive just got a price for 2 25mm boards of panzerholz which seems reasonable and mark is very kindly doing me a template when im ready to do the cut out for the motor unit so im very near starting.
    1 option i may explore is making the tonearm mounting collar in panzerholz,you may want to run that by angus oliver if you read this and see what he thinks if its worth the grief over the standard AT one.
    i also have a large board of beach mu25 plywood so i will knock another plinth up in that for comparison
    watch this space as they say.....
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by karma67 View Post
    my new router arrives tomorrow,ive just got a price for 2 25mm boards of panzerholz which seems reasonable and mark is very kindly doing me a template when im ready to do the cut out for the motor unit so im very near starting.
    1 option i may explore is making the tonearm mounting collar in panzerholz,you may want to run that by angus oliver if you read this and see what he thinks if its worth the grief over the standard AT one.
    watch this space as they say.....
    Ah, I like your thinking. I'll see what Angus thinks.

I'm John.

Just to throw another version of Plinth Material into the mix.
    When I finally get around to it, I intend on producing one in 'Phonotherm' for the TTS 8000.
    There might be a version for a SP10 produced in the near future, as I have sent a few samples of Phonotherm out to a few established R&D'ers, it is getting comments of it being a material of interest.
    How it performs as a plinth, is yet to be seen.
    It is a material that I am now feeling secure about putting into use permanently, as I have picked up on the benefits of it as Sub Plinth with a TT. It attenuated in a more attractive manor, for my ears, so won over the previous used very heavy slate sub plinth I had been using.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 28 of 71 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast