+ Reply to Thread
Page 49 of 71 FirstFirst ... 39474849505159 ... LastLast

Thread: Sony TTS-8000 Turntable

I'm jamie.

Hi yes I did, they seem to be an odd size, I’m looking into igus bearings at the moment, oilites will be a last resort
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm John.

When selecting a replacement Bushing, it makes sense to purchase a batch and deselect any that are not the closest tolerance match.
    As mentioned in a previous post, on Lenco Heaven, there is a known of procedure, where a spindle diameter is matched to the inside diameter of the bushes.
    When a batch of these are selected the outside diameter (OD) can be selected to best fit the Housing, I have not heard many raised concerns about the OD not matching.
    The next and maybe most important is the wall thickness of the bush, as a variation/inconsistency in a bushes wall thickness will enforce the Spindle to rotate in a 'axis' that is not true.
    Add two bushes into the mix that are not matched to each others measurements,
    and the Spindle rotation can easily be forced into a 'axis' that is not true.
    With the added compromise of having a Spindle rotating inside a bush that will not have been produced to meet the machining tolerance of the Spindle, any play in the interface of bush and Spindle, will as far as I can work out, further the rotation of the Spindle in a 'axis' that is not true.
    I have no experience of, or have read anywhere, how a lubricant film separating the two materials has a effect that produces a correction, that allows the Spindle to rotate true on 'axis'.
    I am off the belief that careful selection of the bushes, is the most cost effective way to remove the eccentric rotation that is able to be quite easily produced.
    I don't know how many TT's have been sold throughout the Heyday and Present Day that have a bearing assembly similar to the ones being discussed.
    So eccentric rotation, is a possibilty on many TT models, and to many it does not matter, as the enjoyment of the vinyl experience is the fundamental.
    Any unwanted information picked up by the Stylus, as a result eccentric rotations, will not be high on the agenda.
    There is a certain type of individual, who do wish for there Stylus faultlessly to track the groove, exactly as the design theory states, no hitting onto the grooves side walls, and no other effects being created that will make the Stylus produce unwanted information in the replay.
    For the certain type of individual, the engineering is also the drive, the quality of the bearing design is paramount for the Stylus to function with minimum interference, not too tight, causing 'Stick Slip' due to loss of lubrication, or not too loose resulting in a version of the above description.
    The isolation of the effects of the drive mechanism on the chassis/platter/ Stylus, and the timing produced by it really do matter.
    The coupling of the Tonearm to the Plinth, and the materials used for a Plinth to produce a platform that will protect the Tonearm,Stylus,Platter, Chassis from unwanted resonances.
    If one falls into this category, and has invested heavily in their TT set up,
    then if the TT in use is a Vintage one, with more rotations than I care to guess.
    If a owner of this type of TT feels the need to carry out a service, taking the extra time to source the most accurate dimensions for any exchange parts, to meet a modern attitude to the interface tolerances, will be time well spent.

I'm jamie.

getting my arse into gear on the plinth while i ponder bearing options,
    heres a quick drawing. the corner radius's might get reduced a little

My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

Bigman80 Guest

Oooh, rounded

I like that.

I'm mark.

I liked round. Also shows the Corian I used was blue .

IMG_5311 by mark leatherland, on Flickr

I'm jamie.

a small bearing update,
    i have got a meeting with Arthur Khoubesserian and the engineering company that do his tt work on wednesday so fingers crossed i should have a positive bearing upgrade solution very soon,the best bit is they are only 5 minutes down the road from where i work too
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Patrick.

I've got to say that since I chucked some oil in my TTS-8000 bearing my system sounds absolutely awesome. Fitting a Hadcock 282SE with my favourite (John Wright fettled) Decca SC4E might have something to do with it, now I seem to have accidentally aced the setup.

I am loath to fiddle any more now in case the fantastic-ness escapes, but I probably will.

I am lucky enough to have heard some lovely systems over the years but I can't recall hearing one as good as this:
    Sony TTS-8000/Hadcock 282SE/Decca SC4E/Graham Slee Revelation/Jos van Eijndhoven Passive Pre/Krell KSA 300S/B&W N802

I'm Carsten.

Quote Originally Posted by karma67 View Post
    a small bearing update,
    i have got a meeting with Arthur Khoubesserian and the engineering company that do his tt work on wednesday so fingers crossed i should have a positive bearing upgrade solution very soon,the best bit is they are only 5 minutes down the road from where i work too
    This is great news - thanks for the effort.
    English is not my native language, so any grammar & spelling errors is due to my crappy Smartphone..

Speakers: Franco Serblin Accordo.
    Amp: Yamaha A-S2100.
    Turntable 1: Sony TTS-8000 in a TB-2000 plinth with:
    Tonearm 1: Helius Phaedra & Benz LP-S.
    Tonearm 2: Reed 2A & ?
    Turntable 2: Garrard 401, Jelco SA-750E & Shelter 501 classic.
    Phonostage: Modwright PH 9.0 w. US Amperex 7308.
    Step-up: Allnic AUT-2000.
    Head-amp: GS Elevator EXP.
    Cables: AN Qssc, Belden 8402 & Audience au24.

http://www.discogs.com/user/Nonnegativ

I'm jamie.

Default slowly moving forward

earlier in the week i took my tt bearings to an engineer to be checked over,i also met arthur from funk firm and had a very interesting chat with both of them.
    the outcome is my original oilites are fine with less than 0.01mm runout measured at the spindle.i also was handed a acromat to look at,the theory behind it intriques me so once my tt is back up and running i will try one out.

knowing that the bearings are fine they are going to be re oiled,after some reading on the net it would seem a very good choice would be anderol 465,trouble is seems to be only sold over here in 20 litres! the price is shocking,but i tracked down someone who uses it and they have sold me a litre,again the price is shocking lol.

so the first step is to try and get rid of the old oil in the bearings,first i soaked them for 8 hrs in acetone,then another 8 hrs in isopropyl alcohol,you would think that this would do the job but after a 15 minute session in the oven the heat drew more oil out.

they are now cleaned and ready for new oil which arrives next week.

on to the plinth,
    after drawing up my design ive had a router template laser cut from mild steel,once thats done i can start the serious work
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm mark.

Isn't it the same as the SAE30?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 49 of 71 FirstFirst ... 39474849505159 ... LastLast