+ Reply to Thread
Page 50 of 71 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260 ... LastLast

Thread: Sony TTS-8000 Turntable

I'm jamie.

yep thats the grade,
    have a look here,in particular the application data.
    https://anderol.com/images/anderol/A...20465%20EN.pdf
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm jamie.

so todays mission is to put back some oil (anderol 465) into the oilite bearings.
    i made a crude vacuum chamber after watching a few vids,it works rather well.
    the idea is to remove the air from the tiny oil pockets in the bearing,thus allowing the oil to replace the air.

you can see the air bubbles coming out from the bearings,once this stops i reckon the bearings are good to go for another 40 yrs!

My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by karma67 View Post
    so todays mission is to put back some oil (anderol 465) into the oilite bearings.
    the idea is to remove the air from the tiny oil pockets in the bearing,thus allowing the oil to replace the air.

you can see the air bubbles coming out from the bearings,once this stops i reckon the bearings are good to go for another 40 yrs!

That's absolutely awesome lol

So satisfying to watch ahahaha.

Jamie, can I ask what prompted you to take this on in the first place?

I'm John.

You are having fun with this TTS-8000.
    With the air now dissipated from the interstices and replaced with a oil impregnation, there will I believe/presume be a added benefit of micro vibration / resonances now being controlled, by being damped in oil and no longer able to amplify in trapped air.
    I am looking forward to hearing your reports on how you perceive any changes in the SQ.
    Hopefully it will be functioning for the 20-10 in Sheffield ?

I'm jamie.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    That's absolutely awesome lol

So satisfying to watch ahahaha.

Jamie, can I ask what prompted you to take this on in the first place?
    it was johng's comments on his bearing that got me intrigued,i decided to inspect mine,then have them checked by a precision engineer,they measured absolutely fine which is no surprise as i wasn't having any issue's with them.
    although oilites are self lubricating and do not need oiling i decided to flush out the old oil and replace with fresh clean oil as a matter of maintenance,the anderol oil was recomended to me by angus.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
    You are having fun with this TTS-8000.
    With the air now dissipated from the interstices and replaced with a oil impregnation, there will I believe/presume be a added benefit of micro vibration / resonances now being controlled, by being damped in oil and no longer able to amplify in trapped air.
    I am looking forward to hearing your reports on how you perceive any changes in the SQ.
    Hopefully it will be functioning for the 20-10 in Sheffield ?
    yes you may well be right there,iam also changing the thrust pad on mine to lignum vitae which has a low noise quality,it seems daft to me that having stripped it all down,not to replace that.
    sadly i wont be able to make the bake off as my dog sitter is fully booked,also again whislt the tt is in bits im making a panzerholz plinth for it,work starts tomorrow so keep watching for updates.
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

Bigman80 Guest

it was johng's comments on his bearing that got me intrigued,i decided to inspect mine,then have them checked by a precision engineer,they measured absolutely fine which is no surprise as i wasn't having any issue's with them.
    although oilites are self lubricating and do not need oiling i decided to flush out the old oil and replace with fresh clean oil as a matter of maintenance,the anderol oil was recomended to me by angus.

yes you may well be right there,iam also changing the thrust pad on mine to lignum vitae which has a low noise quality,it seems daft to me that having stripped it all down,not to replace that.
    sadly i wont be able to make the bake off as my dog sitter is fully booked,also again whislt the tt is in bits im making a panzerholz plinth for it,work starts tomorrow so keep watching for updates.
    Gotya. addictive this fettling lark isn't it lol

Looking forward to seeing the plinth

I'm mark.

I've made lignum thrust pads for Garrard's in the past. I'd go with solid plug if you can over a thin sliver.
    Solid phosphor bronze usurped it though...

If you need some supplies I've still got a few bits, PM me

I'm John.

The bearing I have is not unique it can be found on any TT that has had no servicing, that is from a certain era and has received much usage.
    What this recent spate of investigations has shown, is that there are TT's out there, that have been believed to be in their prime, that after a little inquisitiveness have proved to be in need of a little TLC and servicing.
    Obviously Jamies TTS exploits has been thorough, and he is well on route to assembling a bearing housing to a close mimic of the Factory version.
    I am over the moon with my outcome, as it has allowed for me to get to grips with a long overdue bearing design that has been pondered and sketched on Paper.
    This is no longer a concept and has been viewed and approved as a design with no foreseen constraints.
    My TTS is now a donor model for this design, and will over the coming months receive a custom rebuild.
    This method of Custom/Commission builds is in keeping with most of my HiFi systems devices,
    so I am a 'Pig in Poo' on this one.
    The materials are being sought, and if all goes well, my TTS will no longer be a TTS as is known, but will have a very modern approach under the hood.
    I will have my TTS Sintered Bushes/Spindle Measured on a Micrometer for their ID/OD and this will be useful for the records, as well as being a clear indicator of a fit that will allow a audible rattle when the interface within the bearing housing is dry.
    A pin head of Oil has been placed on my TTS Spindle and as a result, the Spindle Movement diminished and there was no longer a Audible rattle, so I will assume that the ID/OD Dimensions will be quite close.

I'm jamie.

Quote Originally Posted by DiveDeepDog View Post
    I've made lignum thrust pads for Garrard's in the past. I'd go with solid plug if you can over a thin sliver.
    Solid phosphor bronze usurped it though...

If you need some supplies I've still got a few bits, PM me
    cheers mate,yes im making plugs rather than thin discs,my choice of material was made from reading this by conrad.

http://www.conradhoffman.com/Wear_pad_tests.xls
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm David.

Super work, but no one likes a smart alec Jamie.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 50 of 71 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260 ... LastLast